Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TOO LATE, THIS IS OVER NOW!

2017 Ben Roethlisberger Football Douchebag of the Year: Dean Spanos and the Spanos Family
2017 Inductee into the Dan Snyder Memorial Douchievement Award of Excellence Hall of Fame: Penn State Fans

Hi TFF Goons, it's that time of year again! Actual Football is still months away, the draft is long past, the frenzy of free agency trading is done, and now it is time to get together and decide in an extremely scientific and highly fair way which person and/or organization was the biggest loving douchebag of the last year.

In prior years, BenHasTinyWeenus ran this thing. Last year he solicited help and like an idiot I volunteered, and so when he disappeared (possibly consumed by his very smart idea of getting married and opening his own restaurant at the same time) I sort of inherited the responsibility. OK, whatever, I am a "details oriented" kind of guy and I just loving love to make spreadsheets and abuse petty authority, so now I'm in charge and you will all do as I say.

Your Douchebag 2016 champion: BAYLOR UNIVERSITY

Here is last year's tournament bracket:

The rules
In accordance with established tradition, we will first have a period of nominations. eNOMINATIONS FOR DotY ARE NOW OVER. Anygoon can make any number of nominations, and in addition, you should post to "second" other goons' nominations. After the nomination period, I will build a tournament bracket consisting of the nominations that got the most "seconds."

Unlike previous years, I will not specifically limit the contest to a 32-member bracket. Instead I'll make a reasonable decision about where the cutoff should be and build a bracket that works. That may mean we have some wildcard spots if we don't get a power of 2 number of nominations, but that's cool and fine.

Eligibility
Eligible nominees must be a person or group of people that meet these three criteria:

#1: Football
The nominee must be related to the sport of American Football in some reasonably direct way.

#2: Douchebag
The nominee must be douchebaggy. Douchebaggery is broadly defined by the thread consensus via voting, so I prefer not to try to spell out too specifically what the term means. However, by consensus we exclude from consideration crimes for which there was a conviction in a court of law. I'll go ahead and add anyone who has been charged with a crime for which trial is still pending, and anyone who engaged in severely gross behavior that we really need to avoid having some kind of terrible "debate" about, such as the Paterno/Sandusky thing. Please also recognize that we're doing this for fun and not to have a debate about for example what exactly constitutes consent for purposes of determining if a rape took place. That said, a certain amount of discussion about where to draw the line is OK, as long as it doesn't become a derail or start resulting in probations.

#3: Of the Year
The nominee must have done the douchebaggy thing during the period of May 19, 2016 through May 18, 2017. It's OK if they did douchebaggy things before or since, but you have to be able to call out douchebaggery that occurred during that period.

#4: Not a member of the hall of fame
Last year there was no Dan Snyder Memorial Douchievement Award of Excellence contest, probably because Ben intended to do it later and then I never did it. We'll rectify that this year, but anyway here are the members of the Douchebag Hall of Fame:
  • Dan Snyder
  • Craig James
  • Art Modell
  • Roger Goodell
  • The NCAA
  • Bobby Petrino

Special contest: Dan Snyder Memorial Douchievement Award of Excellence
We missed it last year but we won't this year. Entirely separately from the Douchebag of the Year tournament, we will have a straight vote for a new inductee into the Douchebag Hall of Fame; think of it as a sort of Lifetime Achievement Award for douchebags. e NOMINATIONS FOR LIFETIME DOUCHIEVEMENT ARE STILL OPEN

Eligibility for the Hall of Fame follows exactly the same rules as for the Douchebag of the Year, but with the following exception:
Douchebaggery not limited to the last calendar year. Any football-related douchebag acts of the past may be considered. You can nominate some 1950s football douchebag if you want.
Nominations and seconds will run for the entire thread, including during voting for the tournament brackets. I'll close nominations shortly after we name the Douchebag of the Year, and then we'll have our vote for the hall of fame. Hopefully this doesn't get too confusing.
Only the top few nominees will be up for voting. Previously I think it's been four nominees. I'll let that be three or five or whatever if there is a clear cutoff between lots of seconds and a lot fewer seconds, but if there's no clear cutoff then it will be 4.

How to Participate
NOMINATIONS FOR DOTY ARE CLOSED, BUT NOMINATIONS FOR LIFETIME ARE STILL OPEN.

To nominate a football douchebag (for either contest), you must at a bare minimum post in this thread:
"Nomination," in BOLD. If you don't bold your post I might notice and count it, or I might not notice it and skip it, especially if it blends into the rest of the normal debate posts.
Name of the douchebag or group of douchebags.
Football Qualifications: how is this person or group related to football? Please don't just assume I know who this douchebag is. I especially don't know who most college football people are.
Describe the Douchebaggery: you should post some convincing argument or at least link to one or more articles or something that explains how this person or group is such a douchebag. Even if you think everyone must already know, just write a sentence or two that specifically points to one or more acts that will qualify them for this contest. I need this info in order to post the tournament brackets so keep that in mind.

To second a nomination (for either contest), make a post with the words "second" in bold and the name or names of whoever you are seconding.

Merely emptyquoting someone else is not a vote or second. I will not attempt to interpret why you emptyquoted someone because it can signify disagreement or ridicule as well as agreement. Emptyquoting is also against the forums rules. If you totally agree with someone you can quote them and say (in bold) "seconded" or similar and I'll count that.

Voting Rules
Once we have all the nominations and the tournament begins, everyone will get to vote.
VOTING HAS BEGUN HERE

As usual, when the matches begin, I will paste player bios (written by you the voters or halfassed by me if there are non available) and let people vote on one match at a time every two or three days. You will pick your preferred douche and you should give the best argument that you can for why they should win over the other douche.

Previously, Ben would weight peoples' votes on a scale of 1 to 5 depending on how much effort they put into their posts. Effortposts are great and important because they foster the debate that we should be having over who is the worst douchebag. However, the scale was pretty arbitrary and I found it hard to make rulings that I felt confident in. So this year I'm simplifying things thusly:

If you just post a vote for a candidate, that's worth 1 point.
If you make an effort to argue in favor or against a candidate along with your vote, that's worth 3 points.

That's it, that's the whole thing. Merely quoting someone else's argument is still only worth 1 point. You have to add something to the discussion, whether that's doing some googling and posting something someone said online or a news article or some tweets, or just writing a couple of sentences explaining your opinion, I will credit you with 3 points.

Furthermore unlike our former arbitrary tyrant BenHasTinyWeenus, I will post publicly how many points each vote got, so you can be sure that I am totally being fair.

Here is the 2016 Douchebag Tracker Thread, which is a good source of reminders of douchebaggery that occurred over the last year.

OK start your nominations.... now!

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Second post reserved for charts and graphs and so forth

Vote tracking spreadsheet

Voting on candidates for the Lifetime Achievement Awards begins here!

Here is the the completed playoff bracket for Douche of the Year, 2017:

Here are the Douche Hall of Fame nominees as of August 3rd:

And here is the final voting results:

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 11, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Brent Musberger for trying to redeem Joe Mixon.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Colin Cowherd for Douche HoF. Guy couldn't stop saying stupid poo poo and eventually took out the entire Dominican Republican, which ironically is the kind of racism that qualifies you to work for Fox. Also, he said Sean Taylor was a gang banger and that's why he got shot. Even after it came out that it was a home invasion, he doubled down on his comments.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'll second Cowherd for the lifetime achievement bracket.

I nominate Dean Spanos for attempting to hold a city hostage, for screwing his first round draft pick for the pettiest poo poo in his contract, and for being Dean Spanos.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Tom Brady for publicly calling his own wife and family breadwinner a liar through a hired goon. Tom Brady for helping to inflict Trump upon us. Tom Brady for being an unrepentant cheater. Tom Brady for bringing joy to the wretched people of Boston.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

iospace posted:

Brent Musberger for trying to redeem Joe Mixon.

Not to be the thread douchebag, but:

Leperflesh posted:

To nominate a football douchebag (for either contest), you must at a bare minimum post in this thread:
"Nomination," in BOLD. If you don't bold your post I might notice and count it, or I might not notice it and skip it, especially if it blends into the rest of the normal debate posts.
Name of the douchebag or group of douchebags.
Football Qualifications: how is this person or group related to football? Please don't just assume I know who this douchebag is. I especially don't know who most college football people are.
Describe the Douchebaggery: you should post some convincing argument or at least link to one or more articles or something that explains how this person or group is such a douchebag. Even if you think everyone must already know, just write a sentence or two that specifically points to one or more acts that will qualify them for this contest. I need this info in order to post the tournament brackets so keep that in mind.

I don't know who this guy is?

These other guys also didn't really follow the rules but I knew who brady, spanos, and cowherd are.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Leperflesh posted:

These other guys also didn't really follow the rules but I knew who brady, spanos, and cowherd are.

Which guy? Musberger or Mixon?

I suppose either way, Brent Musberger who I'll go ahead and second was a long time football broadcaster (he retired this year) and kinda drunk old dad type. He's actually normally fairly likeable if you can get past stuff like creeping on women in the crowd--he would just not shut the hell up about AJ McCarron's girlfriend back when he was at Alabama.

Joe Mixon is an Oklahoma football player who was drafted this year, he sat out his freshman season because he knocked a woman the gently caress out, breaking bones and generally really screwing her up. Video of this incident was finally released this year and it's pretty awful. Mixon never apologized until right before the bowl game for this incident, although he claims his lawyers wouldn't let him.

Here's the first part of things:

https://twitter.com/mikefinger/status/816117069859196928?ref_src=twsrc

Later on in the game after things blew up on social media and someone told him he might want to restate that he basically doubled down.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
I figure we are already going to have some obvious options like NCAA, Mark Emmert, Goodell, Kraft, Baylor, Penn State, Jimbo Fisher, Snyder, Rovell, Cowherd, SAS, etc, but it never hurts to list em.

Ryan Pace for actively and visibly trying to blow this year's draft. Knowing that he was on his way out, Pace refused to resign a bunch of good existing players, traded away a lot of the team's future picks to move up one (ONE) spot (that wasn't under contention) to pick up an unproven rookie QB after signing a veteran to a long deal, and using three of his remaining four draft picks to select players from lower division teams. He won't win, but gently caress Pace.

The Bennett Brothers (Martellus and Michael) for seeking out media outlets purely to talk poo poo on anyone they didn't like. It pretty quickly evolved from blowing off steam à la Dennis Rodman to simply being dicks for the sake of attention. They took being outspoken to douchey levels purely for the notoriety.

Speaking of Michael Bennett, the Seahawks Defense has had a super douchey relationship with local media as of late. Richard Sherman threatened to ruin a reporter's career because he didn't appreciate the line of questions being asked. Bennett accused one reporter, who had survived cancer, of having never experienced adversity comparable to the game Bennett had just lost to the Falcons. As a Seattleite, my friends who interact with the team regularly have said that the D has become entitled as of late (while the offense is more or less unremarkable still).

ESPN for paying top dollar to get rights to NFL broadcasts even though their revenue stream couldn't handle it. Massive layoffs were directly tied to the NFL and NBA packages recently negotiated.

Facebook, Amazon, and Twitter for entering a bidding war for TNF games. Seriously, please kill off TNF so we don't have to complain about 4 days rest or watching the Cowboys lose again on national TV.

Vontaze Burfict for once again being the dirtiest and douchiest player in the league. Toss in Pacman Jones (who was recently arrested again for assault and spitting on a nurse while in custody) and you have the two biggest dicks in the NFL ON THE SAME TEAM. Their douchebaggery cost their team a guaranteed playoff win last year. They also downplayed some of the worst hits in the game in the name of winning (which, again, they didn't).

Dean Spanos for an infinite number of reasons holy poo poo I can't begin the list because it's so loving deep. Spanos is going to probably win so I'll leave this short.

That's all for now.

Leperflesh posted:

Musberger is a sports caster who is mostly used in college football. He has done a lot of stupid poo poo in his career as of late, including objectifying AJ McCarron's fiancée on live TV and basically making it known that football is more important than... well, a lot. Most recently, he lauded Joe Mixon, an Oklahoma player penalized for punching a woman, for his return to glory and overcoming all of the bad times that had befallen him for, you know, punching a lady.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

Brent Musburger is a pretty famous college football announcer. You may remember him oggling AJ Mccarron's girlfriend on national television during the BCS Championship game.

I'm not sure if I am pushing the boundaries of this, but I nominate Donald Trump for saying that the only reason teams haven't signed Colin Kaepernick was because they were afraid of a tweet from him.

I believe his football credentials and his douchery this season have been amongst the most impactful​. Hell, I am only pulling one football related comment and there are many more. He has gone from torpedoing the USFL to laying waste to my listening enjoyment.

In closing, if he's good enough for the WWE Hall of Fame, he has more than earned the title of Football Douchebag of the Year.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Leperflesh posted:

Whoops, my bad :downs:

And you're running it, so if I gently caress it up without properly reading the OP, that's on me.

Thanks Grittybeard though!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'll second Mark Emmert, President of the NCAA for the Hall of Fame.

I don't want to look up everything he's done right now, but he's basically made a career out of being very douchy about college athletes receiving any benefits other than an education (which is even more significantly unfortunate if you were recruited to, say, North Carolina as an athlete).

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 24, 2017

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
New England Patriots fans for playing the victim card while having Mr. Thomas Brady win them five (five!) Super Bowls.

Jamie Horowitz for Lifetime Achievement in Douchbaggery for unleashing the Hot Take on the sports landscape, which effects all of us.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Grittybeard posted:

I'll second Mark Emmert, President of the NCAA for the Hall of Fame.

I don't want to look up everything he's done right now, but he's basically made a career out of being very douchy about college athletes receiving any benefits other than an education (which is even more significantly unfortunate if you were recruited to, say, North Carolina as an athlete).

Seconded. I wrote a very detailed argument in last year's Hall of Fame thread, I believe. I will try to check archives for it after this dumb ER trip is over.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
The Douche Tracker thread is kinda slim pickings this year, but a couple nominations from there:

Dean Spanos:

aperion posted:

Just so no one forgets details months down the line:
-relocated a franchise to a market that doesn't want them
-fired their defensive coordinator via social media
-they spent a year on this?
-got their asses kicked in negotiating to use a 27k-seat stadium...by MLS
-relocated the same year LaDanian Tomlinson is eligible for the Hall of Fame, making that one awkward. Less of a douchey move, more douchey timing. Wait, no it's still both.
-burned every last bridge with San Diego and its fans in the process.

Trent Dilfer:

seiferguy posted:

Trent Dilfer (re: Kaep's protest):

quote:

“No matter how passionate you are, no matter how much of a burden you have for social issues, you don’t let it get in the way of the team. This is a backup quarterback whose job is to be quiet and sit in the shadows and get the starter ready to play in Week 1. Yet he chose a time where all of a sudden, he became the center of attention.”
In other words: keep quiet and know your place. I could talk about how much underlying racism there is here, but I think most of us can pick up on it. Then he went on that weird derail about how he could have used his position as a QB to speak out against child slavery but didn't because he didn't want to hurt his team :confused:

Also seconding Brent Musberger.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

seconding tom brady. i was going to buy madden this year but i don't want to invite his his baby tantrum looking rear end into my home

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I'm going to nominate Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, whose blundering playcalling gifted the Patriots their 5th Super Bowl. Then he tried to explain it away with the stupidest "We played that game the way we played the entire year" TEAM IDENTITY bullshit in the history of everything, and was promptly punished REWARDED with a 6 year contract to coach the 49ers.

Fun fact: After the Falcons went up 28-3, Shanahan called a grand total of 5 running plays. In a game where Devonta Freeman was averaging 6.8 yards per attempt. Matt Ryan was snapping the ball with half the play clock left at a point in the game where the whole point was to burn time. It was like watching a reverse Andy Reid choke job, where instead of taking 6 minutes to do a 2 minute drill, they take no minutes to eat a sack and then rush to get the next play so they can get a holding penalty... that puts them entirely out of range for what just seconds ago was a chip shot field goal to ice the game. It was idiocy on a colossal scale, and his justification was the weakest of weak tea rear end covering WE STAYED ON THE ATTACK WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT?! coachspeak :jerkbag: bullshit.

I'm glad the Falcons lost, but come on, what a dipshit that guy was.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 24, 2017

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Tom Brady for all the reasons mentioned, but also for skimming off the top of a local charity.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Bruce Allen for being a prick to a guy who was good at his job then drunk shaming him on the way out.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The Social Media Manager for the New England Patriots for publicly fellating Donald Trump on twitter and trying to downplay and silence the decisions of players to skip the WH visit because Trump sucks.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Seconding Dean Spanos, and Trent Dilfer. Dilfer lost his job, so he got his comeuppance.

Also, Mark Davis for trying to act like a man of the people then screwing over Oakland and moving the Raiders to Vegas.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Which guy? Musberger or Mixon?

I suppose either way, Brent Musberger who I'll go ahead and second

Thanks for the writeup!

Zurreco posted:

I figure we are already going to have some obvious options like NCAA, Mark Emmert, Goodell, Kraft, Baylor, Penn State, Jimbo Fisher, Snyder, Rovell, Cowherd, SAS, etc, but it never hurts to list em.

I'm not counting these as Nominations, but since Grittybeard gave me a writeup for Mark Emmert, I counted you as Seconding him on that one. For the others, I'll want the minimum - a statement of why they were a douchebag this past year. It's fine if you'd rather leave that to someone else, though. I gave you credit for nominating the ones you wrote up in this post.

Sataere posted:

I'm not sure if I am pushing the boundaries of this, but I nominate Donald Trump

As a prominent person injecting his opinions into football, he's at least as impactful as any other random commentator, so I'll allow it. We will restrict Trump's douchebaggery to his football-related statements/actions, though - we'll have to disregard all the rest. Alllll the rest. There is so, so much we're disregarding here. A huge amount. Huuuge.

Sataere posted:

Seconded. I wrote a very detailed argument in last year's Hall of Fame thread, I believe. I will try to check archives for it after this dumb ER trip is over.

Last year's thread, for your convenience

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Not sure if he technically doesn't qualify or not, but Joe Mixon, for pretty obvious woman beating reasons.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Not sure if he technically doesn't qualify or not, but Joe Mixon, for pretty obvious woman beating reasons.

I've provisionally entered it. But: he pled no contest (which is a type of guilty plea), was given a deferred sentence and 1000 hours of community service plus mandatory counseling, and has settled the later civil suit. Furthermore, the beating incident took place in 2014. So, can you describe any Mixon acts of douchebaggery that took place between last May and now, and for which he has not faced a legal punishment?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Eric Berry skipped OTAs so the local KC radio is certainly nominating him.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Frank Clark for this: Seahawks defensive end tells reporter who wrote about his domestic violence charge that she can clean his fish tank

He then issued a bullshit nonapology and liked a whole bunch of tweets saying he did nothing wrong as shown here: After tweeting an apology, Frank Clark’s Twitter showed his real feelings

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Seconding Dean Spanos.

That said, I'm going to also nominate the Chargers Front Office for causing the holdout of Joey Bosa, the very first rookie holdout since the 2011 CBA was agreed upon, showing that the Chargers are somehow able to gently caress up negotiations on something that's 98% structured already by said CBA. Link to some comments by John Spanos on the holdout.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Leperflesh posted:

I've provisionally entered it.

Mixon apologized, got punished by his team and I think was put on probation, and then agreed to release the video of the incident to use as a teaching moment and to shut up everyone that was blaming the girl. I think he gets a pass.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

all-Rush mixtape posted:

New England Patriots fans for playing the victim card while having Mr. Thomas Brady win them five (five!) Super Bowls.

As a Pats fan, I am produce to be seconding New England Patriots fans.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Seconding Dean Spanos, Frank Clark and Bruce Allen.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Second: The Social Media Manager for the New England Patriots

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Oh, this happened a while back, but Chuck Staben, the President of the University of Idaho, for moving the Vandals down to FCS.

oldman, via the Lewiston Morning Press posted:

MOSCOW - In late April, the University of Idaho made a landmark NCAA decision, dropping its football program from the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) to the lower-tier Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) and effectively ending a 22-year run at the highest level of college football.
UI president Chuck Staben formally announced the school's intention to join the Big Sky Conference in a news conference on April 28, more than a month after the Sun Belt Conference chose not to re-up with the Vandals.
The move was controversial. It was met with resistance. Many vehemently disagreed with Staben's vision
. Others thought the president acted rashly in making a decision just 58 days after the Sun Belt showed UI the door - that he moved too swiftly without truly combing through the options, or allowing others to materialize.
The Big Sky gave Idaho until May 3 to accept an invitation, but it was widely thought to be more of a soft deadline than an ultimatum, and the league would grant an extension if requested.
Idaho's top athletic administrator was among those who believed the university's best move, for the time being, was to not make a move at all.
According to public records obtained by the Tribune, athletic director Rob Spear drafted an email seven days prior to the Big Sky announcement, listing three reasons that would merit delaying such a decision.
"President Staben, The more I reflect on this decision, the more I think it is important that you delay the Big Sky decision for the following reasons," Spear wrote in an email addressed to himself. "1. We have a number of spring sport championships that will be completely over shadowed with an announcement in May. This would be unfortunate for those student-athletes. 2. Football has endured an investigation and getting removed from the Sun Belt. I don't think it is fair for the student-athletes and coaches to endure another setback. There are a lot of positives heading into next season. 3. An announcement now will tremendously impact fundraising."

The university charged the Tribune $911.14 to furnish the public records, which included 645 email communications sent by, and received by, both Staben and Spear. On May 3, university general counsel responded to an initial email sent by the Tribune, affirming the UI was in receipt of the records request. General counsel began collecting the emails on May 19, but didn't make them available until Aug. 29. According to Idaho law, public records requests must be granted or denied within 10 working days of the request.
Spear, who flanked Staben and sported an unenthused look during points of the April 28 news conference, hasn't backpedaled from his original stance.
"At the time I thought a delayed announcement was important to allow us to focus on season ticket sales and fiscal year-end fundraising," Spear told the Tribune late last week. Idaho's AD also anticipated additional shifting within college football, but noted, "That movement appears to be happening with the Big 12 but it is unlikely that it will trickle far enough down to benefit the University of Idaho."
The Big Sky decision still looms large in Moscow.
According to Spear, the school's fundraising and season ticket sales have both taken hits. A number of the emails obtained by the Tribune came from displeased donors threatening to pull their financial support to the football program.
Between Jan. 1 and May 1, 132 individuals wrote letters to Spear and Staben expressing their opinion. Of those, 45 agreed with the move, while another 87 opposed it.

The Vandals will play the remainder of this season, and the next one, in the Sun Belt before dropping down in 2018. Another casualty of the move is the number of scholarships the UI will have to cut. FCS schools are only allowed 63 scholarships, as opposed to the 85 Idaho can currently hand out as an FBS institution. The Vandals have already taken measures to assure that they'll be NCAA compliant in two years.
In mid-February, Idaho made its case to remain a Sun Belt member, but emails suggest that Staben was preparing for the Big Sky move well before he presented to the SBC's chancellors and presidents on Feb. 15.
In a Jan. 5 message addressed to Spear, Staben wrote: "I feel more strongly that we need to plan to move to Big Sky."
When the SBC declined an option to renew Idaho's lease, the school mulled its options: remain an FBS member by declaring independence, or make an unprecedented move and become the first program to drop down.
The Vandals were Big Sky members for 30 years, from 1965-95, before leaving for the FBS and Big West Conference in 1996.
Spear began to compile, but never finalized, an independent schedule for the 2018 football season.
"While an independent schedule was doable, the schedule would have been extremely challenging," Spear said last week.
The email records also reveal an interesting conversation between Spear and Western Athletic Conference commissioner Jeff Hurd, where Hurd broaches the possibility of reviving the WAC as a football league.
"Rob: Have you had an opportunity to speak with your President regarding football and whether or not he believes the idea of other Big Sky institutions moving to the FBS level could have any legs?" Hurd wrote. "Although (former Big Sky commissioner) Doug Fullerton had interest, one of my concerns is that the new Commissioner might consider it too much of a risk to have on his/her plate right shortly after being hired."
Spear replied: "Jeff, do you have time for a call? I don't want to respond via email...FOIA."
The AD warned about Freedom of Information Act requests in one other email, addressed to Staben.
However, in an email reply addressed to another recipient, Spear wrote: "It may be time to get the WAC to take 6 football schools and form an FBS league. It would certainly save the WAC!"
In another message, he said: "The WAC has traction and I look forward to influencing the Big Sky from within. I know I can convince Montana and Montana State to jump...we need to lock arms with them. And a bowl win changes everything! I know our kids will be motivated!"
Last week, Spear clarified that the WAC would need eight members to become an FBS league and six to become an FCS league.
Although the WAC has expressed interest in reviving football - it originally disbanded in 2012 - other FBS conferences may not find the idea so appealing.
"While the NCAA rules still recognize the WAC as an FBS league, I am not so sure how excited the current FBS conferences are about adding another league and dividing the money with another conference," Spear said last week. He added: "Whatever Idaho does in the future I think it is important that we align with Montana and Montana State."
Spear, who'd always been a staunch advocate of UI retaining its FBS tag, said the UI lacked the private funding to remain "financially competitive" as a member of college football's top tier.
"We would have to invest $5 to $6 million annually into the football program," Spear sad. "This funding was not being provided through private donations and was not going to come at the expense of academic programs."
In multiple emails, however, Spear advises that the decision wasn't his to make. He constantly fed input to Staben, but the ball was in the president's court.
"Ultimately, President Staben made the decision to move to the FCS," Spear said.

This was all revealed in September, so I think it counts.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 25, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Zurreco posted:

and then agreed to release the video of the incident to use as a teaching moment and to shut up everyone that was blaming the girl. I think he gets a pass.

Eh, this is the spin Mixon's lawyers put on things but what actually happened was the court was going to compel the release of the video anyway and they tried to get out in front of things.

And even if you buy that utter bullshit I'd nominate everyone who watched that video and then talked about how women want equal rights but whine when they 'punch' first but there are too many to count. So the teaching moment thing has backfired as well.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Eh, this is the spin Mixon's lawyers put on things but what actually happened was the court was going to compel the release of the video anyway and they tried to get out in front of things.

And even if you buy that utter bullshit I'd nominate everyone who watched that video and then talked about how women want equal rights but whine when they 'punch' first but there are too many to count. So the teaching moment thing has backfired as well.

Releasing the video could be considered douchebaggery, then? If so, did it happen during the last year? That'd be enough to qualify Mixon for nomination (and it would be up to the voters to decide how douchebaggy that was).

all-Rush mixtape posted:

This was all revealed in September, so I think it counts.

Sure.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I feel like this thread always seems to forget him, so I want to make sure he gets at least one nomination. gently caress Jason Whitlock

Also Dean Spanos is probably a front runner

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also nominating skip bayless

I hope I don't need to explain why.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I don't know who said it, but they were right when saying getting mad at Skip Bayless is like getting mad at the bad guy in a wrestling match.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That's true. Honestly, I should go dig up those Clay Travis tweets, but I forget if they were football related or not.

gently caress Clay Travis (this post is not a nomination)

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Dean Spanos and the Spanos Family

gently caress this rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Brock Osweiler for thinking he's an NFL QB

• Locked thread