Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Serf posted:

Oh good question. My bad for not including this info originally. I plan on running it in Discord for the voice chat and Roll20 for any combats that may come up.

Count me in then. I plan to run a game of this myself so this will be a big help to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

The 15th totally works for me, I am excite.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

I wouldn't mind a turn in the player's seat, seeing someone who actually knows his poo poo GM'ing would be helpful. Based on the time zone difference, Saturday would be best for me.

Incidentally, I'm looking for reviews or play experiences of the two Tales of campagins, since I'm lazy and would rather use pre-made adventures. I found a couple mentions of the first one, and they were... not too hot.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Just picked up the bundle, and I kinda love Ancestry gives you your starting stats rather than randomly rolling them or having to assign them.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Serf posted:

I found a thread from the G+ community that might have what you're looking for

Also, since Saturday appears to be a bad time for folks, I'm considering moving the one-shot to Thursday, June 15th at 7:00 PM EST. I want to try to keep the session to no more than 3 hours, which shouldn't be hard, the adventure in question is pretty short.

I'm in, if there are still openings. I've GM'd SotDL twice, but it would be great to see the game from the player's perspective, and to correct any mistakes I've unintentionally brought to the table. Couple questions, should we make characters ahead of time, or just plow through that at the beginning?

Also, I'm green as hell at Roll20. Is there a good tutorial that you'd recommend for getting up to speed?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Duct Tape posted:

I'm in, if there are still openings. I've GM'd SotDL twice, but it would be great to see the game from the player's perspective, and to correct any mistakes I've unintentionally brought to the table. Couple questions, should we make characters ahead of time, or just plow through that at the beginning?

Also, I'm green as hell at Roll20. Is there a good tutorial that you'd recommend for getting up to speed?

I'm gonna include a link to the Discord below and once we get the players hammered out we can roll up some characters in there.

As for Roll20 tutorials there's the official tutorial and the crash course (though this is geared towards GMs, I still found it helpful). I'll also recommend DawnforgedCast's tutorial as well.

:siren: Here's a link to the Discord for the one-shots, or if you just want to chat about the game

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.
Is this game married to a grid or can it be run ToTM with some adjustments? After breaking the tyranny of the grid I don't know if I can go back.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MTV Crib Death posted:

Is this game married to a grid or can it be run ToTM with some adjustments? After breaking the tyranny of the grid I don't know if I can go back.

The Forbidden Rules has specific guidelines and rules on how to run "zone"-based combat.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

MTV Crib Death posted:

Show us on the miniature where the grid touched you.

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

Are the monster specific supplements any good? The blurb and art for the lizard folk one caught my eye, and I'm a sucker for bipedal herp monsters.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

The Malthusian posted:

Are the monster specific supplements any good? The blurb and art for the lizard folk one caught my eye, and I'm a sucker for bipedal herp monsters.
It has a lizardman race, which is probably too powerful for normal games.

Production values are good, though.

Serf
May 5, 2011

The Malthusian posted:

The books are good imo. As dwarf74 mentions, the production values are good, and both Foulest Reptiles and Ghastly Gourmands warns you that the lizardmen and ogres are probably too OP for most games.

MTV Crib Death posted:

In the base game it claims that you can play it without a grid, but distance rules pretty much mean that's as much of a lie as it was in every edition of D&D that isn't 4E.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

You could play "without a grid," right? In the sense of "no need to confine people to this 5'x5' square," you could freehand maps and only pull out a ruler if you really need to, while still having all distances represented on a map. Last time I checked, Roll20 does this well enough.

If you decide to go pure TotM (no map, no zones) then I will definitely take my hat out of the ring for the starting adventure.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, I may try my hand at hex maps for this, but I'm not sure. Hexes get weird.

There's also the 1-yard thing. It seems like you really need to keep each hex/square 1 yard, because sometimes things key off odd numbers of yards. But the speeds of everyone (and areas and ranges) are all about 2x what I'm used to from 4e, so it seems like big maps are in order.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

A real annoyance with the PDFs - you can't turn the background layer off.

Serf
May 5, 2011

homullus posted:

You could play "without a grid," right? In the sense of "no need to confine people to this 5'x5' square," you could freehand maps and only pull out a ruler if you really need to, while still having all distances represented on a map. Last time I checked, Roll20 does this well enough.

If you decide to go pure TotM (no map, no zones) then I will definitely take my hat out of the ring for the starting adventure.

I will definitely be using a grid. The grid is safe and it feels like home.

Angrymog posted:

Yeah, some of them have no background versions but not all.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Angrymog posted:

Yeah, I've downloaded the no-background versions, but even those are kind of beefy for my poor tablet.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, the PDFs are virtually unusable on the Linux E-PC I read all my PDFs off at the game table. I'm talking like twenty seconds wait to change pages where other PDFs take maybe 0.2 seconds.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I like that the versions I got from the Bundle of Holding are delightfully small.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Thanks for making a thread, currently DMing a very fun campaign that just entered expert path level for my group, and everyone seems to be loving it. The next major story arc is taking them to the Desolation and I'm stoked.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
I got the bundle for thirty bucks and am reading through everything. So far I'm only a bit through the core book, but can anyone advise if there is a non-binary element to the rolling, success/miss or fail-wise? Right now all I see if you get critical fails if you roll into the negatives due to banes.

Also is there a corresponding critical success for 21+

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Makaris posted:

I got the bundle for thirty bucks and am reading through everything. So far I'm only a bit through the core book, but can anyone advise if there is a non-binary element to the rolling, success/miss or fail-wise? Right now all I see if you get critical fails if you roll into the negatives due to banes.

Crits are dependent on the ability you're using, or class features.

Fail forward is built into the DM advice, BTW.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Makaris posted:

There are, though they are move-specific and gated at 20+. For example, the Rogue's Exploit Opportunity move (p57):
Exploit Opportunity Once per round, when the total of your attack roll is 20 or higher and exceeds the target number by at least 5, you can take another turn at any point before the end of the round.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

dwarf74 posted:

Fail forward is built into the DM advice, BTW.

Not quite what he was asking about. He was asking if the system addresses the very common d20 failure of not having partial successes or degrees of success other than crits.
For example the way storyteller/d10 has a gradient because you're throwing huge dice pools around so can do stuff like "1 success is you barely accomplish the task, 2 is average, and 5+ is perfect/overachieving" or the way some of the cobbled together hacks for skill challenges in 4th allowed for it.

edit: But yeah in general the game seems to be written around building for good GMs and hammering in "you're all working together to tell a story, not play against each other" and of course to avoid stuff like the "Well you need to win this fight/solve this puzzle to advance" traps it's easy to accidentally write into a plot.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
Gotcha, thanks all.

Another... Less a question more and observation I guess, but the wording in some of the magic areas is very strange. Below is for Priests.

Magic:  You discover one tradition associated with your religion, as shown on the Religious Traditions table. Then make two choices, discovering one tradition associated with your religion or learning one spell for each.

It's that 'for each' that gets me. The way I read that, it would seem to indicate that choosing the 'get new spell' option gives you one spell *for each* tradition you know. But, I checked the games website and apparently that reading is incorrect and it's just one spell, period. What gives?

Makaris fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 9, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Just one spell. It means one tradition/spell per each CHOICE, of which you have two. It's confusingly written, I agree.

So you could have your basic starter tradition, then either discover the other two traditions to your faith, discover a second tradition and one extra spell in either, or get two extra spells for the one tradition you have at start.

E: I think even Schwalb realized this, as Uncertain Faith clarifies it much more explicitly with a bullet point of options for the revised priest paths.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 9, 2017

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Makaris posted:

Gotcha, thanks all.

Another... Less a question more and observation I guess, but the wording in some of the magic areas is very strange. Below is for Priests.

Magic:  You discover one tradition associated with your religion, as shown on the Religious Traditions table. Then make two choices, discovering one tradition associated with your religion or learning one spell for each.

It's that 'for each' that gets me. The way I read that, it would seem to indicate that choosing the 'get new spell' option gives you one spell *for each* tradition you know. But, I checked the games website and apparently that reading is incorrect and it's just one spell, period. What gives?
Yeah, Uncertain Faith clarifies it pretty well. :)

Remember that you get a free 0-level spell when you discover a tradition. It's an easy rule to miss.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
I gotcha. Honestly a comma would go so far in making it more understandable, even if it's at the cost of exact grammar. As it is, it's very easy to just read the 'for each' as you getting one spell for each tradition you know.

Edit: don't you get *all* the level 0 spells for taking a tradition?

I am excited to run a game in this system. I'll be going with my own setting but the game is transparent enough that it'll be easy.

I especially love how initiative is handled.

Anyone that has run a game from level 0, how did the progress feel for the players? It seems that it'd be hard to have a strong character concept, but that's just my impression. Probably really good for emergent characterization.

Also, when creating new characters, how much stronger/better does a character feel when they roll high on the wealth table? Seems a little weird that one character would get free attendants and starting gear, and another gets nothing, with no compensation, over a roll of the die?

Makaris fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 9, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, Uncertain Faith clarifies it pretty well. :)

Remember that you get a free 0-level spell when you discover a tradition. It's an easy rule to miss.

You also learn two rank 0s on discovery if you took magician.

One of my players flipped his poo poo when I explained to him that your castings by power level weren't spread among all the spells you have by rank - each spell you know has its own casting allotment. He was having serious character remorse before then.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Makaris posted:

Anyone that has run a game from level 0, how did the progress feel for the players? It seems that it'd be hard to have a strong character concept, but that's just my impression. Probably really good for emergent characterization.

I started my campaign with rank 0 characters, and I actually think it's the opposite. When you don't have a class to frame your concept around, you're forced to distinguish your character by their personality and history - what motivates them as people. They then use their path choices to accentuate and develop the core character that's there. By forcing my players to put their identity before their role, I think they've developed in much more interesting ways that distinguish them.

Example from one of my players over the course of the campaign so far: He's not "the fighter," he's a struggling farmer trying to care for his one surviving family member and what few hands he could afford. When fate strikes, he grudgingly enlists as a lineman (warrior path) in a mercenary group to earn more money for the farm, but never loses that sense of familial responsibility and care for those close to him. That attitude motivates him to take command of his brigade mid battle when his NPC commander dies, earning the rank afterward. He's now struggling to embrace the officer role and greater responsibility as a leader of men (fighter path with war academics and officer profession focus).

We have another warrior type who went in a completely different direction based on personal experiences over the course of the campaign - same role, vastly different path/professions. I don't think he'd have given it the same level of thought with a prepackaged character.

E: I also have a goblin character who pretty much has the most hilarious "weird/gross quirk" and physically plays it out during roleplay. I'm pretty proud at how well the system has enabled even my most reticent roleplayers to pursue ideas that interest them.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 9, 2017

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Makaris posted:

Edit: don't you get *all* the level 0 spells for taking a tradition?
You get two if you're a Magician. Otherwise, it's 1.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
@ Funkmonkey - that actually sounds pretty cool. I will use that description when I'm pitching the game.

@ dwarf74 - Thanks! I have no idea how I got that so wrong. No more drunk reading the rules at 12AM I guess.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FunkMonkey posted:

I started my campaign with rank 0 characters, and I actually think it's the opposite. When you don't have a class to frame your concept around, you're forced to distinguish your character by their personality and history - what motivates them as people. They then use their path choices to accentuate and develop the core character that's there. By forcing my players to put their identity before their role, I think they've developed in much more interesting ways that distinguish them.

Example from one of my players over the course of the campaign so far: He's not "the fighter," he's a struggling farmer trying to care for his one surviving family member and what few hands he could afford. When fate strikes, he grudgingly enlists as a lineman (warrior path) in a mercenary group to earn more money for the farm, but never loses that sense of familial responsibility and care for those close to him. That attitude motivates him to take command of his brigade mid battle when his NPC commander dies, earning the rank afterward. He's now struggling to embrace the officer role and greater responsibility as a leader of men (fighter path with war academics and officer profession focus).

We have another warrior type who went in a completely different direction based on personal experiences over the course of the campaign - same role, vastly different path/professions. I don't think he'd have given it the same level of thought with a prepackaged character.

E: I also have a goblin character who pretty much has the most hilarious "weird/gross quirk" and physically plays it out during roleplay. I'm pretty proud at how well the system has enabled even my most reticent roleplayers to pursue ideas that interest them.

Same experience here, both I and a friend wanted to play kinda magicy characters but he wanted to be more a warmage and I was more straight up wiz-biz. We started at rank 0 and we were able to really have a lot of fun distinguishing ourselves. Like my dude saw magic as this all mighty scientific concept that must be respected and he was just all 'nah man this is a tool, if you wanna jerk off over magic that's cool but you don't see me going on rants about how cool swords or helmets are'. By the time we were able to actually go down our proper concept paths we had both had a lot of time establishing different worldviews even if there is metagame overlap in our characters.

Level 0 can be deadly and a little annoying at times but I'd call it a worthwhile starting point for a proper campaign.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The fact that you don't have blanket access to every spell ever is one of the things I like about this game. In DnD a wizard basically gets a new supplement and gets to say "this is literally my spellbook" because he has next to no limits on how much he can no and I have never met a DM who actually tracked ingredient costs, research times or anything because of how much of a headache it would be. This game makes picking spells more like picking class features that have significance to your character, instead of simply stuffing your shopping cart with everything Spellco has on offer.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

The fact that you don't have blanket access to every spell ever is one of the things I like about this game. In DnD a wizard basically gets a new supplement and gets to say "this is literally my spellbook" because he has next to no limits on how much he can no and I have never met a DM who actually tracked ingredient costs, research times or anything because of how much of a headache it would be. This game makes picking spells more like picking class features that have significance to your character, instead of simply stuffing your shopping cart with everything Spellco has on offer.

It's an elegant solution that was always lurking there with D&D spell types, but it took Schwalb to build a wall and make Evocation pay for it.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

FunkMonkey posted:

One of my players flipped his poo poo when I explained to him that your castings by power level weren't spread among all the spells you have by rank - each spell you know has its own casting allotment. He was having serious character remorse before then.

That was me, only as a GM.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
So, anyone have any thoughts about using Shadow for other settings? I realized that Kevin Crawford's red tide might be an amazing fit; it even has its own encroaching existential threat to deal with!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

LeSquide posted:

So, anyone have any thoughts about using Shadow for other settings? I realized that Kevin Crawford's red tide might be an amazing fit; it even has its own encroaching existential threat to deal with!

I often hear about people using it for Warhammer and just adapting the faith/magic elements.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Shadow has to be a love letter to classic Warhammer Fantasy RPG in a lot of ways. Replace the faiths with Warhammer stuff, prune a couple races, rejigger the magic schools and bam you're just Warhammerin it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

The mix and match path system is definitely evocative of WHFRP's careers.