Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
So I picked up In Pursuit of Power, the new magician-focused supplement, and it seems really sweet. Basically, you can swap out the general magician talents for focused version of those talents based on the traditions you have unlocked.

For example, the Air Tradition gives the following:
Swap the generic Cantrip for Air Focus (Cantrip), gaining a rank 0 spell from air and a talent that lets you expend a 0th Air spell to let you fill your lungs with air for 1 hour or until you speak, removing the need to breath.
Swapping out Sense Magic for Command the Wind gives you a bunch of minor wind effects to clear away dust or powder, disperse odors, move a light object a pretty good distance, snuff out a candle or lantern flame, or disperse fog and smoke.
Swapping out Spell Recovery (or the Improved version) lets you use an action to heal your healing rate and fly up to half your speed
Swapping out Counterspell gives you Protective Winds, which activates whenever you cast an Air spell and gives you +2 Speed and imposes 2 banes on attack rolls made against you from thrown or ranged weapons for Power number of rounds

There are new talents for every existing school, including a new one (Madness) which will be in Occult Philosophy.

Edit: Looking through the cantrip replacements, Death, Song, and Rune are the clear standouts. Death lets you spend a 0th level Death spell as a triggered action when you would become incapacitated to immediately heal 1d3 Damage, once per minute. Rune lets you turn 1 minute Rune spells into 10 minutes 1+Power times per day, and Song gives you a triggered action when you cast a Song spell to spend a 0th level Song spell to increase the range from short to medium, extend the duration from 1 to 10 minutes or change the duration from concentration to 1 minute. Unfortunately, most of the Cantrip replacement abilities seem not worth losing the extra spells for all your traditions from the default magician.

Piell fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Memnaelar posted:

So, the specific text from Pursuit of Power reads: " If, for example, you have discovered Arcana and Alchemy, you could exchange the Cantrip talent for Alchemy Focus and Arcana Focus."

Maybe it's just poor wording, but my assumption HAS to be that you don't get both of those talents right? You don't rack up new talents as you discover new traditions and add them alongside your other, for example, Cantrip replacements? Can you swap them out later as you discover new traditions or are they permanent picks? Feels a bit dashed off to me, but maybe I'm being obtuse.

According to the Google+ thread you only get one, but you can trade it out if you discover a new tradition.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Ugh, why do some GMs feel they need to gently caress over the players at every opportunity? I just quit a discord game after the first roll of the game was a natural 1 on a perception roll, for someone just standing outside and keeping watch. The GM decided that meant he fell through the floor and damaged his axe and now does half damage.

Also, while we're at it, gently caress who ever wrote The Apple of Her Eye adventure. Who thought "the boss forces an int roll with a bane when you see it, if you fail you are charmed forever" was a good thing to have? 2/3 of the party failed the check and the GM had to greatly change the encounter to not make it impossible.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

The Changeling posted:

Yeah that first bit was real questionable. Did you leave the server entirely? I honestly got overwhelmed at work while we were in setting building and haven't had much interest since (I'm midwifecrisis on Discord).

I ranted about it and got him to pull back, but I still quit the game. I am still in the server though.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
I'd be up for a game.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
I'm going to say ita a bad idea, making players fight OP enemies with OP abilities is a problem that a lot of the written adventures already have, we dont need more super broken spells.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

-Fish- posted:

Is the Monk as bad as it looks? Is there some detail about unarmed combat I've missed that makes its starting 1d3 melee damage a good thing?

Monk is really good. +3 bonus to defense at level 1 means you have better or equal defense than any other dex based character. Martial Arts gives you free combat maneuvers every round. They get several boosts to speed, which are otherwise pretty rare. They don't hit as hard as other classes but they are super speed, hard to hit, and have tons of options in combat. Not to mention their 20+ result is one of the best in the game (stun until the end of the next round, which means if you go before the enemy they are stunned for 2 actions) and that their health recovery makes them either more difficult to hit. They are helped out by DLC 1 with the Mystic expert path, which doubles down on speed and defense boosts, as well as making unarmed damage 1d6 base.

A level 9 Monk/Mystic/Martial Artists gets Agility + 9 Defense and +10 Speed when Qi Focused, making it possible for a Goblin to get to the maximum possible defense of 25 along with 20 speed.

Edit: Should have refreshed.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Can anyone suggest an aquatic or amphibious species ancestry other than the Undine from Freeport? They're fine for my purposes but I'm looking for something a bit more merfolk / fishmen themed than water elemental.

Foulest Reptiles has lozardmen, which could work. Otherwise just reskin.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Schwalb's obsession with being wacky gross is the worst thing about this game

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Arthil posted:

Character creation was extremely straight forward, though starting at Level 0 helps I imagine. For when you add to your ability scores, looking at the wording. Must you put one in a different score each or can both go into the same one?

They have to be different scores

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Arthil posted:

So much of how the game functions is like 5e that I barely bat an eye at figuring it all out. Except one thing.

Movement/Distance. The yards thing is throwing me off, and I'm kind of wondering how this plays on a grid since neither movement or range seems to translate perfectly.

We play on hexes and everything works fine.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

ZorajitZorajit posted:

On a similar vein, and because I know I have players that may ask before our first SotDL game, there are no "pet classes" along the lines of D&D Rangers / Druids, right? I see there are some spells that temporarily make friends but nothing that permanently grants one.

There's one that gets a demon buddy in some book.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Grim is fine, "lol your dick turns into poop and falls off" is stupid.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Just make all enemies do half damage or swapped for weaker enemies. So many encounters in the pre written adventures are just complete bullshit that will TPK your party - I'm looking at you, Apple of her Eye.

Piell fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 27, 2018

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

ZearothK posted:

The lack of XP for kills and the dangerous combat have made my players into total cowards who avoid any combat encounters they can get away with, and, honestly, I like it that way.

I hope none of your players played a warrior who had all of their class abilities rendered worthless!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Libertad! posted:

So I just ran my second (first was years ago) adventure for Shadow of the Demon Lord for 3 players. I did a level 0 starting adventure Dead by Dawn, and true to form it resulted in a TPK. One of the players was absent so one of the other players ran 2 PCs instead. From what we could tell so far level 0 is both very swingy and lethal, although I do not know to what extent this adventure is representative of the RPG and other Starting ones of its kind. Our group still wants to give the game a shot in spite of the deaths, albeit as proper level 1 characters next time. In hindsight I don't know if certain tactics could have made a difference. Particularly during PC fast turns, I feel like if PCs opened up with using slings during the fast action they could have gotten in more damage by the time their slow turns came into play instead. I also only told the players about Fortune Points halfway through the session instead of at the beginning as it slipped my mind at the time.

For those unfamiliar, Dead by Dawn is a classic zombie horde survival where the PCs end up in an inn besieged by the walking dead, and must survive five waves of monsters before dawn comes. The PCs decided to retreat to the second floor and use the hallway as a bottleneck to attack the undead, but I also had it so that a few of them got around into rooms by climbing and ripping open boarded windows. Putting doors shut could give a round of respite while the animated corpses wailed on them, although the multi-pronged attacks on my part made it so that even a chokepoint was not a safe route, only a temporary reprieve.

Haven't played Dead by Dawn, but a lot of the prewritten adventures are overtuned and likely to kill at least one or all characters, it's dumb.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've been listening to Rob's Basement and he really really likes it when things have engorged dicks and poo poo their pants, huh.

Yeah, his 12 year old style fascination with dicks and poo poo and grossness is the worst part of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
The best punching build for that is probably Monk/Mystic/Martial Artist. Monk is in Bred For Battle, Mystic and Martial Artist are in Demon Lord's Companion.

Piell fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 19, 2021