Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Just getting into this game with my regular group. Any paths I should steer them away from either because they suck or break the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Someone mentioned there is a better version of the warrior novice path floating around somewhere. Can you link it if you know where it is?

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 24, 2019

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I looked through the rules and there doesn't seem to be any mention of flanking or bonuses to creatures that are "ganging up" on an enemy. Did I miss those or are they just not present in this system?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
^ Thanks!

E: follow up question- if a spell lists "one creature you can reach" as a target does that include oneself, the caster?

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 26, 2019

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
When is the new expansion coming out?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Current group is about 2 months into a campaign and we are loving it. We are at Level 4 and the gain in cool factor every level is noticeable, without the "man my character is going to suck until Level X" that often accompanies systems like 5e.

Combat is seriously brutal and the spells are just completely unhinged in the best way.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

juggalo baby coffin posted:

is it possible to make a character who uses forbidden spells and not end up under gm control after 3 combats due to corruption?

Depends on how you use the spells. Corruption is gained by learning the spells not from casting them. So you could have a PC that knows a few, casts them for non murder hobo reasons, and stays sane.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Arthil posted:

Yeah unlike your traditional D&D thing, SotDL always felt like the player characters going bad/villainous is... almost expected?

I think this makes the good vs. pragmatic vs. evil dynamic way more interesting than the average system. I'm co-GMing and playing a crusader / paladin type and it's been fun to RP the only guy in the group objecting to several of our mages dabbling in forbidden magic / lore. Everyone's having a good time with it and the other players know they are taking risks but it's worth it to them.

As GM, I've noticed that handing out Corruption for murder-hoboing has really clamped down on the casual violence a lot of groups tend to dish out. The party killed a guy who attacked them mistaking them for bandits and when one of the PCs mentioned cutting off the guy's ear as a trophy, another player brought up the potential for gaining corruption for violating the corpse. As a GM that's pretty cool to see. They ended up burying him and the priest even said a few words. Super cool.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
It really depends on the type of group you have. This system is a much simpler, streamlined version of 5e so if they like crunchy combat you're going to need to make things interesting by giving them varied combat encounters. If they like RP you're going to need to provide them situations where their backgrounds will come into play.

If you explain the way character progression works and they aren't interested at all, then I doubt the group will "warm" to it. Get the players invested in their characters and show them how they can make truly unique characters by combining different paths. That's definitely what sold it for my group, which was pretty tired of the way 5e handles character progression.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Do you GMs usually give players a choice not to do an action if you tell them it'll result in Corruption, or just tell them after the fact and they have to deal with it now?

Played in a campaign with revolving GMs and this exact scenario played out. When I GMd I let people know in advance, just naturally. Had another GM give us all corruption for an act only half of the group participated in after the fact and it did raise some objections.

My advice would be, if it's an openly awful or murderous act a warning isn't really necessary but if it's even somewhat nebulous give a heads up.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Giving corruption to the entire group because some of them did a thing sounds like a GM making a Paladin fall because they shook the hand of an evil person instead of killing them.

His reasoning was that the rest of the group didn't do enough to stop the ones who actively participated. There was some discussion and he backed down, but that's mainly because our group is super open and chill about this stuff. In a more contentious group it could have been a real problem. That's why I think in most cases it's best to let players know a corruption will be awarded beforehand.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I hope he tones down the magic somewhat. Martial characters get completely left in the dust in SOTDL and when we played 2 campaigns with my group, everyone eventually branched into magic careers because not doing so makes your character essentially worthless outside of combat.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
We also had to ban a number of Magic schools and character combos. The spellguard class combined with time magic was really stupid - not only can you freeze enemies in a time bubble for CC, you can crank your action economy up and end up talking like 5 actions in a turn. Since magic isn't really tied to being a weakling nerd like in other systems, you could easily create a hulking two handed hammer wielding chronomancer and while it was fun to play, I eventually retired the character voluntarily when I felt like I was cheating all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

40 actions per turn

I enjoyed SDL for what it was but I hope the author takes game testing a little more seriously this time around. Any system will have issues but it's pretty obvious SDL wasn't playtested at all, or the author just doesn't care about any semblance of character parity. There's a healthy balance between "obsess about parity so much that it overtakes the system" and "just don't care about parity at all". I think Warhammer 4e does a good job of this.