Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Is there any information on the Poisoned Pages being collected into their own print sourcebook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ok, I bought the Bundle of Holding offer and have been slowly working my way through the books, and honestly Hunger in the Void is probably mandatory if you're going to put any sort of horror aspect into your SotDL into your game. It takes the rather antiseptic "dark forces" vibe from the core book and makes it nice and visceral. Ugh.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Gonna ask this one more time and then I suppose I should contact Shwab.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Is there any information on the Poisoned Pages being collected into their own print sourcebook?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Thank you, Serf!

Shame, I feel like he's missing out on some money. I buy physical versions of most of my source material.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

If my party ran away from the adventure then I probably just wouldn't give them the level for it. I wouldn't send them to their death or poo poo on them or anything, but being a zero dramatically means you get a zero mechanically. I would just run them another opportunity to do something interesting.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Orcs are the result of moral degeneracy on the part of the Empire. They are a past sin made flesh and are a metaphor for imperialism. They also lead to its downfall. There's no reason to be offended on a racial basis - aristocracies produce an underclass, in this case literally.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'm thinking about running Dark Sun in Shadow of the Demon Lord and getting pretty excited.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Hey guys still working on the Dark Sun conversion. Jeffrey of YOSPOS's suggestion/link gave me a big leg up (thanks Jeff!) but there's still lots to do.

Had a few questions:

1) Does anyone have a "master list" of actions cheat sheet for the players? Like "here's what you can do with a move action" and "here's what you can do for a standard action" type stuff? Or do I need to build my own?

2) Does anyone have a quick-and-dirty 2e D&D to SotDL conversion chart? Obviously I'll need to flesh out the abilities myself, but just general HP and attack rolls would be helpful. Beyond that, just a general "this is a difficulty 1 critter, this is a 5, this is a 10" statblock would help.

Thanks all!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Aw man that's great. Thanks so much.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Piell posted:

Schwalb's obsession with being wacky gross is the worst thing about this game

Yeah pretty much, but the mechanics are so good I just let it slide by.

Dark Sun SotDL game running this Sunday, wish me luck y'all! I also made ugly, but thematic character sheets that I'll be posting on here.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Trip report: running Dark Sun using (mostly) Shadow of the Demon Lord rules

Hello friends. For my birthday I ran the Dark Sun boxed set introductory adventure A Little Knowledge for my 3 friends using Shadow of the Demon Lord rules, mostly. I took out Insanity (because Athas is not a world where the weak-minded survive) and replaced it with Trauma, which is basically the heat and cold and general harshness of Athas chipping away at the player (once I have tuned this system better I'll post it in this thread). I also used a very detailed homebrew conversion that Jeffrey of YOSPOS turned me on to (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BkvRl6Dwb) and hand-converted the monsters from 2e to SoTDL as needed. I also changed the weapon breakage rules to: if you roll a 1, you get a critical hit but your weapon breaks. This felt very Dark Sun to me.

Two of the players had NEVER played Dark Sun before and weren't familiar with it at all. One of the players was very familiar with the setting. None of the players were familiar with SoTDL.

It went extremely well. I won't focus on the narrative stuff, I'll just talk about the system works:

The character creation went extremely smoothly. I started them at 2nd level (a nod to 2e Dark Sun starting the characters at third level) which meant they had to make two choices: Ancestry and Novice path (or in the case of the Thri-Keen player, one choice as that Ancestry has its Novice path dictated to it). This took about 45 minutes as they read through all the options. We ended up with a Half-Elf Adept, Thri-Keen, and Dwarf Rogue.

I used dwarf74's "master sheet" of move and combat actions and this helped a lot. Thanks dwarf74. I also want to hat-tip Tuxedo Catfish who provided me with a similar document.

The Thri-Keen player decided to roleplay an elemental priest/druid tracker and discovered the Water tradition, which I have to begrudgingly admit is smart play although it did remove some of the grittiness of the desert travel. I ruled that the Create Water spell only created a half-gallon of water per cast (similar to 2e rules) so he was able to keep them topped up but not create a surplus. He ended up playing his character as basically Serial Killer Spock. The dwarf rogue was a player who likes to play funny badasses with interesting backstories, and man did he ever. The half-elf player likes intra-party RP a lot but usually is pretty laid back in terms of solving problems and "leading" the party. The game system let all of them do what they wanted to do, and got out of the way when it wasn't needed. Very good.

Combat went well. There were only two "real" fights in the game session, both were over in a couple of rounds. Rogues are absolute murder machines, holy crumbs. Also the Adept had a great "alpha strike" spell in Mind Stab. I was surprised by how much rear end the players could kick. I am probably going to turn up the difficulty for our next session.

Even though the combats were relatively easy as the players were able to rest and regain resources (they happened on separate days), the players felt stressed because the desert continually inflicted Trauma damage on them, which they could not get rid of and which gave all their actions a sense of urgency. This was exactly what I wanted when I designed the system which pleased me.

Overall I highly recommend SotDL for running Dark Sun, other than monster conversions it already has all the elements that you need to support the game: psionics, lots of player choice, well-balanced magic, non-boring combats with maneuvering, easy to dial up the lethality if needed, and if you're a dumb houseruling jerk like me you can rip out the Insanity system and replace it with something more "Dark Sun"-y. 5 stars.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 2, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I knew a D&D guy would eventually fall to the lure of cramming a zillion fuckin' spells into his system

Luckily I don't feel bad about ripping poo poo out of SotDL at all.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah he just doubled 'em.

Also it's more like they're in one book, instead of scattered pell-mell over a dozen or so.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It's extremely unwieldy and the fact he never condensed all those 10-20 page supplements into reference book form...well, it sucks. That and Shwab's juvenile edgelord poo poo is the only thing I'd change.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Shorter SotDL "darkness": What if magic, but you poop demons?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It works however you want it to work, the rules are designed not to let the PCs act like complete murderhobos without massive consequences.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BTW I realized I never gave y'all my Trauma rules for Dark Sun conversion to replace Insanity, so here you go.

It's a bit loosey-goosey and I apologize for that, but it's basically a draft of a house rule that I wrote up for consumption.

If you have suggestions I'll be listening.

Thanks and have fun!

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/kJSi2wW3HgvkHC1PlTXzHHu0Je9S2yj1Qbv3RcUqb5B

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

My biggest problem is that I don't find the setting of SotDL particularly compelling. It's absolutely not bad or a detriment to the play experience but my best results with this system is when I bolt it onto other fantasy systems with great settings but lacking mechanics. Against the Shadow basically goes all in on the setting and it's just not good enough IMO.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Serf posted:

The Kickstarter for PunkApocalyptic is live. Pretty standard stuff, but warning the page is NSFW

Good to see the gal from Total Recall getting work.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

As I said once earlier I put SotDL rules into Dark Sun with some minor additions, which was fantastic. Nobody plays a pure martial character in Dark Sun, everyone is some psychic weirdo or elemental worshipping nutcase or a bugman or whatever so it works out great. The pure martial archetype doesn't really exist in that setting so nobody feels like they are missing out on anything.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'm glad Bob's makin' bank. I found the puerile sense of humor in SotDL offputting, but it was a fantastic system for running a Dark Sun campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I genuinely think that SotD/SotWW should be everyone's first d20 system (not the same as saying they should be everyone's first RPG)