Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

:stare: gently caress yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

There's a reason the level 0 I wrote was about a dark spirit possessing animals after some formor disturbed it's magical container.

I had five or six characters depending on the session and the three fights were:

A medium animal (deer) and three squirrels, first fight of the game, worked fine.

Three formor the party surprised, and the party had an attack dog with 15 in all stats and a boon on attacks that a guest player controlled. Very easy fight but that's fine.

And then a large animal, a black bear the spirit directly occupied and that turned the dog against them once bloodied and magically provided a bane in melee. The party shouldn't have fought this but of course they did. It killed one of them, dropped all of them. I had some concerned but cowardly npcs that had been watching intervene, drive it off, and stabilise the characters.

So one carefully balanced fight, one too easy fight, one too hard fight.

I think the fight with the bear was definitely on the hard side, but there were some truly atrocious runs of attack rolls that could've swung it to a victory.

Shadow of the Demon Bort

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

It is very good.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I'm not a verisimilitude guy but the idea of a man effectively loading, aiming, and firing a crossbow while being assaulted with a sword is powerfully offensive to me.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I'm having a legitimately hard time deciding which master path to take for my fight mans. Brute is great for the bumped health and damage, Champion has a nice effectively passive boon and defensive bane and the unbelievably sick 75% chance to just no-sell an incapacitating hit, and Dreadnaught halving all weapon damage is great. I'm leaning pretty hard towards Champion. Is there a compelling argument against Champion, or maybe a class in another book that might be better?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Yeah as good as Schwalb is at making a system, he can be just as cringy sometimes. I listened to the first episode of his podcast and it wasn't as bad as it could've been but it was a little much for me.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Serf posted:

I just started listening to Rob's Basement and the literal first attack roll of the game kills a PC. Which is really just not a good way to sell the system imo. Level 0 stuff is fun in theory, but I think cutting it out and going straight to level 1 is good. Or maybe doing a level 0 adventure prequel/whatever with disposable PCs to learn the system or get introduced to the setting.

Lol I remember that but I forgot it was literally the first attack. People say they want gritty dangerous combat, but if you put even five minutes of thought into a character, they shouldn't get iced in the first session.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

The way we've done it in a lot of games is you roll the first time you encounter a specific kind of freaky thing, but zombies #2 through 5000 no longer faze you. Now, a hundred zombies at once might merit a roll.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Rolling characters is good when the group has all bought into the idea of being shithead nobodies who will probably die, like in warhammer fantasy roleplay. If you're going for a more heroic or at least less doomed feeling, choosing is fine. SotDL can go either way.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

One of the PCs in my group rolled "murderer" as his profession and just went with it because it was funny. It doesn't really affect the campaign, but in between adventures you'd better believe he's committing murder for profit.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

:thatssotdl:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Jarvisi posted:

Off the top of their head, does anyone know what changes were made to the fighter class in paths of battle? They've been folded into the core book and I'm not sure what the old one was

I don't remember without looking it up, but I played a fighter in my group's game that concluded, and I remember being happy with the changes made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

That's a super cool and creative idea for a twist on corruption and I love it