Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

hi hello greetings i am new to shadow of the demon lord and am just starting to learn the system as a player. i am looking for some build advice.

i'm gonna try to make vegeta as a character and if (when) they die im gonna try to make kenshiro the main dude from fist of the north star. there are a lot (a lot) of resources to dig through, so if anyone has recommendations for particular things to pick up or books to look at i would greatly appreciate it because i dont even know where to start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

what is a 'vegeta'?

punch man with energy blasts and ki powers, a reskin of a "goku," i honestly figured vegeta was self explanatory.

Piell posted:

The best punching build for that is probably Monk/Mystic/Martial Artist. Monk is in Bred For Battle, Mystic and Martial Artist are in Demon Lord's Companion.

thanks i appreciate it!

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

talked to my GM about making vegeta, he encouraged me to go as much all in to bullshit as possible and encouraged things like picking out the never take fall damage faerie mark, suggested i take spellguard over adept, suggested to not have only 10 agility, and supported making a scouter interesting item. If something turns out to be too much we'll tweak it down.

any suggestions on Battle tradition spells to take and avoid, and what ancestries to look at? I went elf because i don't know what im doing and it looked pretty good? Is intelligence really even required for Battle tradition spells?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

After reworking a little, starting at level 3, the stat array I ended with is 12 Strength, 13 Agility, 10 Intellect, 9 Will, with one point from Intellect put into Agility, with Spellguard and Mystic. Elf seemed nifty because the faerie stuff is fun.

That leaves me with a 17 defense when powered up with Qi, attacking at a 1d20+2+(1 boon), dealing 2d6 + (spell effect if using a spell) + (Qi damage if expending).

I honestly don't know how this stacks up against benchmarks, am i fuckin something up or is this pretty fine

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

Much like D&D the optimization 101 is to never stop putting points in your primary combat stat, which for a Mystic is Agility; you can be 11 14 10 9 as a Level 3 Elf.

To clarify, Unarmed Strikes are Finesse so you can use your Agility for their attack rolls, so that's both your attack and Defense tied to it.

Also! Soft Leather doesn't count as Armor, so your total defense at Level 3 while Focused with 14 Agility can be 19, or 21 if you can get your hands Arcane Armor incantations.

Defense 19 is equivalent to a 25 gold worth Full Plate plus a Large Shield, so that's pretty good. Offensively you're just in a solid spot, nothing crazy; your 'crits' can be pretty chunky by triggering Spellguard Strike to cast a Battle attack, and Resounding Attack is pretty strong but limited so employ it wisely.

oh poo poo, ok that helps a lot being able to just stick stats into Agi instead of Str. Also sick I had no idea that soft leather wasn't actually armor. That's much, much beefier than 24 hours ago lol

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Shadow of the Demon Lord is perfectly capable of presenting threats that are equally absurd to optimized players; the bigger issue imo is a) making sure all the players are on the same page, because if one person is playing Spellguard_Infinite_Action_Economy.txt and another person is a Warrior -> Fighter -> Warlord then at least one of you is not going to have a good time and b) the provided tools for gauging appropriate encounter difficulty are really bad and inaccurate even for naively built characters, and do not hold up against charop monsters at all.

It can easily overshoot in either direction, and even nominally "balanced" encounters tend to be on the lethal side, particularly in the sense that the default bestiary really has it out for melee characters. (There's a reason my first draft of Spellguard bullshit was a Gunslinger rather than something that got more attacks but at closer range.)

edit oh yeah definitely, if things end up unbalanced we'll adjust as necessary and I already sent the new more optimized character sheet to the gm to double check on how it looks to him. if it ends up being stupid bullshit i have zero problem swapping back to Adept.

sugar free jazz fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 23, 2021