Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Foglet posted:

Lore-wise, SotDL elves are much more of The Fair Folk sort compared to WFRP, but I think a reskin (plus a bit of fine tuning) is still doable.
Skaven (especially as PCs) have to custom-made, though; perhaps via the rules for Beastmen generation.

Anyway, I definitely remember someone posting their WFRP recreation efforts in the SotDL G+ group linked above.

I think the stats for Goblin PC's come pretty close to how I'd stat out Skaven. They've got the whole agile, sneaky thing going for them at least.

What does everyone think about the Lizardfolk and Ogre ancestry options? I think more options are better than fewer, but they do seem potentially spotlight-stealing due to how much much stronger they are than the other ancestries. Any insight into how to bring them more in line with the other options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

The Paths of Battle errata to the Fighter makes it possible to unlock heavy armor at level 3- the level 3 basic ability reduces all Strength requirements for all weapons and armor by 2, so anyone with at least 13 Strength at level 3 can wear full plate.

Paths of Battle is totally worth it for anyone on the fence, by the way. Berserker and Fighter both get (much-needed, IMHO) buffs, the Paladin gets a few cool new options, and the new Knight expert path fills a much-needed hole for defensive options in combat.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

OK, rules question: if an ability requires an action (or a triggered Action) to use, is it only available during combat? If it's usable outside of combat, how often can it be used? I'm asking with an eye towards the Witch's "Guidance" ability, which seems overpowered if it's available out of combat.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

Woah, wait, are you sure? That's not the conclusion I drew when I read the Wizard class, but maybe I need to go re-read it.

It says you "choose three spells from any tradition", so I'd lean towards it only working with the listed traditions and not with any path-specific spells. I could see it both ways though.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Are the non-adventure sourcebooks workable, like the different peoples? I’m trying to google for people’s experiences but not having luck.

(Thanks!)

All of them have some grimdark stuff, but most or all of it is very easily cropped out. The only ancestry I can think of that can't really be adapted is the Cambion from Exquisite Agony, whose abilities are built off of having and gaining Corruption.

The Gnomes from Children of the Earth shouldn't require any conversion at all, they're pretty PG/PG-13 right out of the box.

Did you have any questions about specific Ancestries/sourcebooks?

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Technically double posting to ask about something that came up in the 5e thread. This game ties ability scores to Ancestry, which is both a big step backwards in game design and pretty problematic from an "Orcs are inherently stronger and less intelligent" perspective. But the starting stats are also definitely part of the game balance between all the Ancestries. Has anyone decoupled Ancestries from starting stats in favor of an array or point buy method? How did you balance things like the Clockwork having weaker stats in exchange for stronger Ancestry abilities?

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Serf posted:

I have come up with two solutions for this issue. For the stock setting, I allow players to take the human stats, 10 in everything with a +1 to any stat they want, instead of their ancestry's normal scores. Honestly this is the most equitable solution. I think that Schwalb really likes to emphasize how dark and ugly his world is, which includes things like dumber orcs and whatnot. This is one of the few places where mechanics are wedded to fluff in a way that I think hurts the game overall.

In the setting that I've been working on for my upcoming game/possible hack, I've been working on my own ancestries. I specifically made sure that no ancestry starts with less than 10 Intellect, which was a primary goal of mine. These ancestries are still very much a WIP, and I'm strongly considering just going with my rule of "10 in all stats, +1 to one that you want" for all of them, even if that is more generic.

That makes sense, I should look into that. That does seem like it would leave Humans weaker than the rest though, since RAW they trade any other unique abilities for having higher and more customizable base stats than the others. Would giving them another starting profession help balance them out?

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Serf posted:

Another profession or language would be a good way to do that, but overall there are few ways to balance it out since there are far fewer numerical bits that you can tweak in SotDL compared to other games. I know that clockworks are overly gimped because Defense 13 is valued way higher than it should be. It is somewhat useful at level 0-3(ish), but since Defense doesn't stack, once your Agility is over 13 or you get mail armor or better it stops being relevant. That's reasonable but the very low base stats are too much of a trade off for it.

The new Yerath from DLC 2 start with a base of 12 Defense and gain 1 more at level 4, maybe something similar could be done for Clockwork to bring them in line. Or maybe, since the Yerath are probably similarly gimped, both Ancestries' Defense could be set to 12 or 13 + Agility modifier so it has a chance of staying relevant when you hit your expert path.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Phi230 posted:

Is this game cool

Hell yes.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

There's also an expert path in Paths of Power that comes with a supernatural henchman of some sort. I can't remember the specifics though.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

FoldableHuman posted:

So, found this thread through the 5e thread, the opening post is a really good pitch, decided $20 isn't too big an ask for the PDF.

I'm liking what I'm reading so far, but I gotta say: the OP didn't prepare me for it being so... poopy.

There's lots of gross stuff, including one super gross magic tradition, but in terms of game mechanics you can ignore almost all of it and run it in a totally normal fantasy setting.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Azran posted:

All the rules regarding magic are so unclearly written in comparison to how clear the rest of the book is. The "get a 0 rank spell when picking up a new a tradition" bit isn't even BOLDED.

I really dislike the whole "Discover a tradition" vs "Learn a new spell" language in the book, when I'm teaching it to new people I treat everything as "learn a new spell" and just tell them they need to choose a Level 0 one before they can choose any others in the same tradition.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Gay Horney posted:

the second one was really incredibly disappointing

He also admitted he was running out of material for DLC 2 in its introduction, so I'd bet he's going to be scraping the bottom of the barrel for DLC 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Has anyone checked out Shadow of the Weird Wizard yet? I thought SotDL was great rules-wise but the setting was too gross-out humor for me.