Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jimmeeee posted:

Paths of Battle is totally worth it for anyone on the fence, by the way. Berserker and Fighter both get (much-needed, IMHO) buffs, the Paladin gets a few cool new options, and the new Knight expert path fills a much-needed hole for defensive options in combat.

I know it's $2 each but presumably those aren't really worth grabbing for the buffs to existing paths, since (as posted above) Rob seems to plan to merge them into the base PDF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Looks like the core book just got updated on DTRPG - "fixes errata and makes numerous updates" according to the update message, but no specifics. Anyone know what got changed exactly?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Serf posted:

and folding in the Paths of series.

Awesome, that's exactly what I was hoping for.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

MMAgCh posted:

There's also no more need to fret over having bought Paths of Battle in vain! :v:

That's really daft; including the Paths errata was a good move.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

I don't do Google+ though. It's a hellhole.

:same:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's a draft, but a pretty serviceable one.

Also manages to be the second best mech RPG I've read, and the best Titanfall RPG I never expected. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

LGD posted:

What's the first best mech RPG you've read?

Battle Century G, which is basically the Super Robot Wars tabletop RPG (as in it supports having both the RX-78-2 and Gunbuster side by side and balanced with each other) with really robust mech creation and tactical combat rules.

LGD posted:

Though speaking of inspirational mech francishes, they absolutely need to add rules for putting wheels in your feet without becoming a tracked vehicle because it super seems like the GMS mechs should basically be VOTOMS/Heavy Gear style (not that it's not insanely easy to homebrew such a system).

Gliding Wheels (GMS mod, 1IP): your mech has wheels built into its feet, and you can use them to "skate" along the ground at high speeds. When you Boost, you may move twice your Speed, but you make Dangerous Terrain tests with 1 Difficulty when you do so.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 27, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jimmeeee posted:

Technically double posting to ask about something that came up in the 5e thread. This game ties ability scores to Ancestry, which is both a big step backwards in game design and pretty problematic from an "Orcs are inherently stronger and less intelligent" perspective. But the starting stats are also definitely part of the game balance between all the Ancestries. Has anyone decoupled Ancestries from starting stats in favor of an array or point buy method? How did you balance things like the Clockwork having weaker stats in exchange for stronger Ancestry abilities?

Just reskin the ancestries.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I've been playing Nioh and wishing SotDL had a late Sengoku jidai supplement because drat, is the setting ever perfect for it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sage Genesis posted:

I don't have it, but isn't Mists of Akuma supposed to be kinda-sorta like that?

It describes itself as "an eastern fantasy noir steampunk campaign setting" so not really, though there might be one or two things in it worth salvaging.

Nioh's setting is regular historical Japan for the most part, just with decades of war resulting in monsters coming crawling out of the woodworks and people who give in to bloodlust/despair occasionally turning into demons, which makes it work pretty well for SotDL.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

FishFood posted:

Yeah, SotDL kind of assumes a late middles ages or early modern setting anyways, and the generic demons and monsters can be flavored any way you like. Heck, even the decaying empire fits in with the warlordism of the Sengoku Jidai. There's no samurai or ninja classes, but you can just rename some other ones and it'll fit perfectly.

Exactly.

There's no extra mechanics actually required (except maybe for a few new monsters for cases where you can't just reskin existing enemies to youkai), just a setting bible and renaming classes. I wouldn't even bother with samurai and shinobi classes since those were social titles, not job descriptions (and "ninja" just refers to any stealth/sabotage expert, so you wouldn't need to worry about it until advanced paths at the very earliest).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Nov 13, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Bred for Battle v2 just went up and buffs Unarmed Combat Training by adding +1 boon to it (all it did was make your unarmed damage die d3 before), nerfs Cruelest Strike's affliction to end of current round (was EoNT), buffs Relentless Killer to +1d6 (was +1d3), and makes Tactical Strike actually work by changing it to EoNT (was end of round).

Also :rip: the bookmarks which died for the Monk's sins, I guess.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 7, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The DTRPG update email said something about fixing a layout error but I couldn't find any changes either. :shrug:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

Consistency looks like one hell of a 1st level spell.

It's basically "maximize your allies' boons and damage dice (and your enemies' banes) for the combat." We've got a Fighter who can swing a greataxe around for 6d6 damage right now (with a boon if the priest gives it to him) and ... wow.

Yeah, that sounds... pretty silly. It should apply automatically to every die regardless of who rolls it (so that if you pick 6, you make enemy boons roll 6 as well).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
On reflection, a level 1 spell shouldn't be able to maximise damage rolls the way Consistency does RAW, so I would personally houserule it as "sets the value of every single boon/bane die, friend or foe, to the chosen number."

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It also makes sense as an "upgraded" version of Impose Predictability, and brings it back in line with the rest of the tradition.

On a similar note, Immobility should prevent all damage, instead of making the target take half damage.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Anyone have any idea what combination of paths you'd take to make a Pillar of Eternity Chanter? Preferably having access to some form of AoE buffs from level 1.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I was thinking more martial and less caster - there's Skald as a master path, but I don't know if there's anything similar for novice and expert. Any warrior-ish paths at this tiers that focus on giving boons to party members? Sadly, Soldier gives itself a boon, which is a missed opportunity.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Thanks! Spellguard (Song) > ?? > Bard seems like the best bet, with something gish-y at Expert if that exists, taking nothing but Song magic. Shaman doesn't really seem to fit the bill, is there anything that can grant boon/banes to allies that would fit?

Definitely feels like there's room for a homebrew Chanter expert path that interacts with singing/Song magic somehow, though.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 24, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah, none of those seem to really fit. Thanks for the recs, though! Guess I'll go Spellbinder anyway, or else try to homebrew something.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The game is a love letter to WFRP and this is also visible in the setting - it has the same "things are mostly still functioning but civilisation has started to break down as evil demons and cultists come out of the woodworks to destroy everything from the inside" tone that WFRP had.

You can just as well play in the core setting and never encounter any demons - the shadow of the demon lord is just what's causing murderous cults, bandits, general unrest, etc. to happen.

Also yeah, the fey aren't demons at all.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The stuff around the fey and the old gods, and the stuff related to the orc king are both pretty interesting and good enough that they've made me want to actually play in the SotDL setting instead of reskinning everything for WFRP.

Other than the poopmaggots, the main thing I don't like about the setting is the fact that the cities are all incredibly one-note the way they're described in the core book, which makes the setting feel distinctly artificial.

The Nine Cities are especially crap, here. "Here's the city of slavers! Here's the city of drugs! Here's the city of bankers! Here's the city run by assassins!" Those should all be one city.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I treat the level 0 stuff as being there to appease OSR idiots, and just start everyone at level 1.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tias posted:

What does OSR stand for?

Old School Renaissance/Revival, which started out as a movement to ditch D&D-style simulationist design in favour of going back to more rules-light dungeon-crawling in the vein of OD&D or Basic, but pretty much immediately got co-opted by Gamergate/Neo-Nazi types into a movement about how if you don't like chainmail bikinis or baby rape you're the real bigots, games that aren't AD&D are cultural Marxism looking to destroy RPGs, and not murdering two PCs per fight is directly responsible for the decline of Western civilisation.

(There are of course people who associate with the OSR because they're AD&D grogs who don't know about the lovely people, without necessarily being lovely themselves, and that's who I was referring to rather than the first group, but the movement as a whole is tainted by association. :v:)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 23, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Lol I love baggage this place has. You see, neo-nazis play dnd like *this*. Us upstanding citizens play sleek modern systems. *drowns baby in urine*

Yeah, that's exactly the point I was making and not the fact that Pundit/Trollman/ZakS/Raggi all claim to be part of the OSR.

Thanks for your valued input.

Serf posted:

I've even seen SotDL pitched as an OSR game, even though its really not.

It's D&D-but-streamlined in a way that's sort of oldschool (it measures ranges in yards instead of squares and doesn't have power blocks or keywords), it has a setting where PCs aren't presented as important heroes from the get-go, and it has the level 0 stuff so everyone can remember how great it was to get one-shot by pretty much anything. It definitely has oldschool elements, not that all of them are automatically bad.

e; there's some decent stuff that ended up coming out of the OSR design-wise (Beyond the Wall and Red Tide have some neat ideas, and I count SotDL as something that's inspired by oldschool design) but as a ~movement~ it's pretty poisoned by the fact that its most vocal proponents when it started out were the tabletop equivalent of Gamergate, and they haven't gone anywhere.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 23, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

No, it really looks like you're saying that the entire OSR oeuvre should get tossed out because those are the OSR and how it's all tainted by association with those dudes. Which is a rather hot take!

Most of the OSR ~oeuvre~ should get tossed out because Crawford and Goodman Games are the 10% of it that consists of a handful of people designing games with some neat ideas but which are let down by the fact that they're tied to garbage 80s game design, and the other 90% consists of reprinting AD&D rules with one or two changes.

The fact that it was co-opted by Gamergate in its infancy just doesn't help its legitimacy as a ~design movement~.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 23, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white wizards.

- Gandalf

Gandalf died after the mines of Moria, which is how he came back as an Imperial Wizard instead of a Grand Wizard.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 23, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm not sure how you can look at a Gunlugger and a Maestro d' and conclude those two characters are similar.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Keep in mind there's a bunch of ancestries and paths that rely on Insanity as a mechanic, so you'll probably need to figure out how to houserule them if you straight up get rid of it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Glukeose posted:

I circumvent "insanity" by simply calling it "stress." It isn't unreasonable to say that adventuring, even not strictly dark fantasy adventuring, can tire out PCs. Plus, heroes being pushed to their breaking point is something that even happens in the coloful world of superhero comics, so it doesn't necessitate a grim tone.

Just introduce mechanical penalties or narrative elements which are suitable for your game's tone and you can keep the insanity and corruption stuff mostly intact.

That works, though you'd also need to make insanity tests "fear tests" instead, and rewrite the quirk and madness lists.

Also, I don't think corruption is incompatible with a more heroic tone - just ignore the marks of darkness entirely and keep corruption as evil points that are gained via doing evil things.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Serf posted:

I removed Insanity as a mechanic but kept the underpinnings of the Frightening and Horrifying traits. I just reflavored them as Intimidating and Awesome, so that you still get the mechanical effects from dealing with especially powerful foes.

Yeah, but that doesn't solve the issue of stuff like the orc ancestry or berserker path interacting with insanity points/madness specifically, hence the stress suggestion.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Elysiume posted:

e: Also why does SotDL measure everything in yards. What the heck

Same reason it doesn't have power blocks or keywords. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Elysiume posted:

nobody in my group is accustomed to thinking in yards*

Just pretend it says "metre" instead of "yard," it's close enough not to make a difference.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I actually hope we get some Bo9S style martial manoeuvres for non-casters at some point.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I hope the mass combat + realm management is a single book, and I hope it's good. :toot:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Serf posted:

Removing Insanity and Corruption would go a long way. Rewriting all the ancestry tables to have less dark/comedic results. Altering some of the Paths and spells that use Insanity and Corruption too, I reckon. At least those are the things I've been plugging away at with my normie and Eberron hacks.

Yeah, it's literally just Insanity/Corruption, which are mechanics that work great for what SotDL is about (a gritty low fantasy WFRP-adjacent game) but get in the way of more traditional heroic fantasy stuff.

I suspect the generic fantasy game will end up ditching those, repurpose the level 0 stuff into rules for a "you play the smith/priest/baker's apprentice and don't die a horrible death" style prologue, and then just shuffle the core races around so it has the "classic" D&D races in the book.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Fair enough. In that case I'll probably just make it a purely narrative thing where using ice magic makes you kind of unpopular. :v:

I would go ahead and make Ice corrupted because it's better thematically.

You can either de-corrupt a corrupted tradition in exchange (just keep an eye out for numbers that are too big if you really want to make sure nothing bad happens), or just leave them corrupted - it's not like there's a shortage of traditions in the game to pick from.

While we're on the topic of corrupted traditions, boo-hiss that SotDL makes Necromancy corrupted, it's a lazy cop-out. :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 22, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

zeal posted:

necromancy is the act of using magic to interrupt or break that cycle.

In SotDL, yes. That's the lazy cop-out I mentioned, because necromancy and the death tradition don't have to be about making zombies and rotting people's souls. It's far more interesting when they're just a completely natural part of the balance, especially since the setting is so heavy on cycles.

e; the death tradition is actually way worse as an offender since it should be the tradition about enforcing the cycle, and instead it's the tradition about Conjuring Clouds Of Poison To Murder Everything.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 22, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Antilles posted:

Didn't early D&D have healing/resurrection fall under Necromancy?

Yes, which is where it should have stayed. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

zeal posted:

it's not a cop-out, it's the setting

I am criticising the setting. I'm not sure how to make this clear to you. What else do you think I'm doing when I say SotDL necromancy being evil is lazy?

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 23, 2018