Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I'm want to get a group going where I am, so starting from scratch what would the "must haves" be? I'd like to lean towards physical books as I'm in SE Asia and printing the PDFs would be extremely difficult. I'm heading back to the States for a visit soon and want to place a bulk order to get everything going when I got back to Vietnam. I'm thinking:
- SotDL Sourcebook
- Demon Lord's Companion
- Tales of the Demon Lord

Would Uncertain Faith be worth it? I know one of my players is enamored with playing a Witch. Also what exactly is DLC 2 that I hear talked about? I don't see that anywhere on Schwalb's website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Teleportation except all the portals go to Flavor Town.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I mean that's how Clockworks...work, right?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Does anyone have a link to that website that had the character creator?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Doing my first game of Demon Lord tomorrow with a batch of players that've never played an RPG before. We're running Dead by Dawn, I think it'll be a blast.

My only hang up is can someone explain Triggered Actions? I may be over thinking it but are these sometimes automatic responses to things that happen as it seems like the Path talents make it look, or are they explicitly the PC says "when X happens I do Y" or are they interchangeable terms for the same thing? If it the first option, does the auto-action count as the PC action this round or is it a "free" response to something?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Serf posted:

Really good stuff...

Thanks for that, these sort of in depth reviews really help with people like me who are wading into the deep end trying to figure out which books are worth getting. Ran my first game last night, it went really well. We've got a Changling that's been absorbed into the Cult of the New God in a quest to find a soul and become a real boy, an alcoholic kleptomaniac Dwarf, and the table favorite an Orc librarian named Mildread.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Print On Demand

Edit: Slaver's Lash question, has anyone run this? After the breakout from the Orc camp is it really worth it to do the trek afterwards? Seems like a limp finish to the adventure after the big three way fight with the beastmen. I'll probably cut it.

Springfield Fatts fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 13, 2018

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Year Without Rain: decent new player dungeon crawl, just scale back the boss a bit, right?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
That's how I run my games. Less edgelord more what the gently caress wackiness of an early Peter Jackson film.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
What do most of your players tend to pick for ancestries? I've run this game with four different groups and Ferren gets a surprisingly big pull a lot of times. People must just like being able to turn into a cat. Personally I would roll Bugman or Goblin, but not everyone wants to be the weirdo races.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I'll confess I still don't fully understand triggered actions and usually half rear end it.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Or lose all of your books during an international move and have to start from scratch! :cripes:

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Which supplement was the one that went to weird-rear end space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I tend to run SotDL as slapstick horror-comedy since I'm not really into the grimdark aesthetic on its own merits. Last campaign I ran my players fought a giant rolling ball of skeleton cooks that flew in the direction you hit them, where proper management of terrain let you yeet them into a giant oven.

e: which is to say yes, absolutely do it

Hell yes. My games all quickly devolve into Sam Raimi / Peter Jackson splatter comedy and not the edgelord embarrassment it tries to be.