Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

Gort posted:

Gonna run my first game of this this weekend using Tales. Any advice for a new DM?
I'm a little worried about this as I've heard the game is very lethal already and I guarantee the best way to ensure my players drop it like a hot potato is to TPK them in the first encounter.

This is just my experience, of course, and you might have a different GM style, but here's my two bits:

I've been running a SotDL campaign for a couple of months, and it can definitely get dicey real fast, but at my table at least, it's led to lots of satisfying skin-of-the-teeth victories against horrible poo poo.
Be sure the players know about Fortune, as well as the various maneuvers they can perform in combat. They might not realize they can disarm, or feint, or dual wield, or what have you, since DnD tends to make you buy in to use those kinds of abilities.
Don't be afraid to tutorialize a bit, in the interest of players getting to know how to get the most out of boons and banes.
I ended up narrative-izing some of the combat in the Starting Adventure, to give a feeling of panic and threat, without just rolling dice and dropping bodies. Also introduced friendly NPCs to help in combat and get fangoriously murderated to show how the monsters worked.
Sometimes, if it looks like I've given them more than they can handle, I just horrify instead of mutilate. That is to say, sometimes the bad result, instead of inflicting grievous bodily harm, just causes some Cronenberg poo poo to go down, and a good time is had by all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

My next SotDL campaign is definitely starting as 0-level prisoners...on the moon.