Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Do any of the supplements offer help in making your own religions for the purposes of Priest features? I don't know if I can just toss in any three traditions that make sense together or if there's additional issues to worry about. I'm going to be running a game relatively soon but I'm not a huge fan of the default setting so I'm going to be using a homebrew one for my game, and I need to come up with gods/religions for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

On the other hand, it seems like all my players are being mages or battlemages of some variety. It's making it really hard to design low level encounters that won't either insta-gib them or get insta-gibbed by them!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Gay Horney posted:

Not having a wiki where I can show people quickly what a new characters race would be like at least thematically has completely stopped my group playing this game

That's a weird dealbreaker, but I guess each group is different.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

LGD posted:

Bred for Battle

I really like how Armiger gets at level 5 the ability to ignore the requirements to use medium and heavy armor, allowing you to play a character in heavy armor that doesn't either specifically focus their all into it or is a Fighter. Heavy Armor needing 15 strength always feels a bit ridiculous to me, to be honest, full plate wasn't THAT heavy.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

dwarf74 posted:

Sweet, thanks. I'm trying to decide between getting those, or getting Companion 2.

Companion 2, for my money. The new ancestries alone make it worth it, and the new paths and traditions in it are a lot of fun. Wardscribe is something I really wanna play someday...

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Pharmaskittle posted:

I'm having a legitimately hard time deciding which master path to take for my fight mans. Brute is great for the bumped health and damage, Champion has a nice effectively passive boon and defensive bane and the unbelievably sick 75% chance to just no-sell an incapacitating hit, and Dreadnaught halving all weapon damage is great. I'm leaning pretty hard towards Champion. Is there a compelling argument against Champion, or maybe a class in another book that might be better?

Honestly, Master Paths are specialized enough you should consider your character more than the mechanical effects. There is more than enough variety to specialize in what you feel your character is best at, or what your character likes to do.

As for Champion, keep in mind that sick feature only comes in at level 10, which means you'll get to use it for maybe 1 or 2 adventures at best, depending on your GM, admittedly. When picking Master Paths I typically try to see which one has the better level 7 feature instead, since that's one I'll be living with for a while. Champion's isn't BAD but keep in mind you're sacrificing some considerable mobility to stay in the stance. Amusingly it's a really good option for being a ranged-type character, since you can just shoot from the back anyways.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Lemon-Lime posted:

Anyone have any idea what combination of paths you'd take to make a Pillar of Eternity Chanter? Preferably having access to some form of AoE buffs from level 1.

AoE buffs are nearly entirely relegated to Song magic. So to get them from level 1 you'd need to be playing a Magician, some sort of custom Priest or Adept (Forbidden Rules). If you're okay with waiting until level 2, Rogue also works. If I had to make a full progression of a Chanter I'd probably do something like:

Novice: Either Adept or a custom Priest with Song, Spiritualism, Life.
Expert: Shaman, from DLC1, I suppose. Helps get your Song buffs where they need to be without you having to be in the thick of things yourself. Nothing really too fitting at Expert.
Master: Bard or maybe Chaplain.

Honestly though, this is only a super rough approximation, Chanter is a rather unique class so it's hard to really try and make it in a different system. Wanting it to also be martial-focused is just not gonna work out due to how much you need Song magic for the flavor. Custom Priest is definitely your best bet for being both supporty and martialy at Novice tier, but it requires your GM to be cool with letting you pick your own traditions.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 24, 2018

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The only problem with the whole "only roll if it REALLY matters" thing is that, in my experience, players really love to roll, and this might be on me, but there aren't THAT many situations where a success and a failure are both interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I honestly feel like SOTDL would be better balanced by just removing the ability to make a pure martial character. Even hybrids are insanely far above pure martials in terms of combat competence, but the balance is so loving wacky it basically doesn't matter what the party is doing so long as everyone is some sort of mage. The campaign I played in had a guy who basically just picked up Primal magic and became a nearly unhittable hulking damage demigod, a guy who went all in on healing to the point that HP damage was barely a threat to us, someone who went Chronomancy/Technomancy to have a giant mech that goes really fast and myself as a control type character with psychic/enchantment magic who basically existed to completely shut down without fail any enemy that wasn't immune to compels. Four completely different concepts, all hilariously overpowered in their own way. It's a stupid way to balance things but it sorta worked out?