Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
So I noticed the books were on sale via DrivueThruRPG, and I've been tempted to at least take a look at the core book especially with a couple of SotDL tables being at my cities upcoming convention.

Other than the Core book, anything I should think of looking at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Serf posted:

Demon Lord's Companion 1 and 2 are solid choices. Forbidden Rules contains lots of good stuff, but zone-based combat is very much worth a look. After that it sorta depends on what you're into. There are tons of adventures, and supplements for all the core ancestries and a few new ones. The setting supplements are mostly fluff, but if you like fluff they're there. I really recommend the Paths books like Paths of Power, Paths of Battle and Natural Born Scoundrels. Bred for Battle is good if you want alternate takes on the Warrior novice path and In Pursuit of Power is the same for Magicians. Uncertain Faith has some cool stuff for Priests etc.

What sorta stuff are you interested in doing in the game?

That all sounds like a bit more than I'm willing to slap down all at once, if I'm honest. Think I'll be able to live with just the Core book for these convention games?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Serf posted:

Definitely. If you're just doing con games, the core should be all you need. Everything else is just bells and whistles.

Perfect. $20 is an easy buy-in range for me, and this will likely go better than it did last year where I took the time to (try) and learn how to properly make a character for Pathfinder, and came to the convention with a dwarf cleric all made up and they just shoved a pre-made into my hands instead.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Character creation was extremely straight forward, though starting at Level 0 helps I imagine. For when you add to your ability scores, looking at the wording. Must you put one in a different score each or can both go into the same one?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

So much of how the game functions is like 5e that I barely bat an eye at figuring it all out. Except one thing.

Movement/Distance. The yards thing is throwing me off, and I'm kind of wondering how this plays on a grid since neither movement or range seems to translate perfectly.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Yeah reading the book closer they specifically say to just describe one 1" tile as a yard. That actually gives everyone on average a lot more movement than in 5e!

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

So the average speed would be about 5-6 squares, more or less?

Edit: To make better use of this post.

So I've been reading Serf's overview of the game in the F&F Thread, and spotted that they suggest not actually dual wielding. Now is this more of a "Maybe don't dual wield at low levels" or "Never, it's a dumpster fire?" Main reason for asking is cause one thing I always love to play in anything if possible, is basically being a Dwarf Slayer with a couple of axes. Is that just not viable?

Arthil fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 27, 2018

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Pretty decent reasons to wait too, possibly. Not sure what the timeline is going to be though.

I tossed this out in the discord but will here too. Are there multiple options for character sheets on Roll20? The one I've got loaded up uses the standard pentagram arrangement which I'm not super keen on, but worse is I can't figure out how to add spells for the life of me.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

This is Evil Dead and I love it for it, warts and all.

It's fine if you personally don't like that in your elfgames, but don't kink shame.

It's so Evil Dead I've decided whenever I finally get to run Dead by Dawn I'm gonna be hamming it up with so much Deadite stuff. That and having added a deactivated "Chop-Bot" in the taverns shed that has a broken chainsaw for an arm.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Serf posted:

Evil Dead meets The Mummy has always been my goal with this system. It helps that Rob seems to be on the same wavelength when it comes to the Evil Dead stuff.

Here I am making notes now that you brought up The Mummy. Man so many good movies from my childhood/teenage years to pull from. And shockingly so many full of rather gross stuff! No wonder Rob has a filthy mind.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Combat, pg 48 talks about using the mount. I think lists of actual mounts are either under Equipment, or in another supplement entirely.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

[Powered By The Demon Lord]

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Midgetskydiver posted:

When is the new expansion coming out?

November is when it's being shipped out for backers.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Yeah unlike your traditional D&D thing, SotDL always felt like the player characters going bad/villainous is... almost expected?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think more that it supports anti-heroes as opposed to traditional good guys, it's part of the fantasy horror theme.

Yeah if the groups Knight In Shining Armor doesn't eventually go full on Punisher you might have gone too easy on the party.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Honestly the sheer amount of options makes it feel like people who enjoy some crunch would enjoy SotDL more. Especially since there's a stigma of only a handful of things actually being "good" in 5e.

I'd highly recommend looking around for one or two documents which show the differences between the two systems, because it also helps show the similarities. Describing the boon/bane system to some of my friends as advantage/disadvantage you get to "spend" made it click for them. Really the only thing that might toss people for the loop is the weird-rear end decision to use meters by a designer that's based in the US. There's also the fact that, really, everyone can move too much it feels like. If I'm to ever run it, speed is getting cut in half.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Weird to only focus on that, but the complaint still holds. It's not really a common measurement for TTRPGs as far as I'm aware.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

It relates pretty well to the question someone posed, where they are wanting to get their friends who lean heavily on enjoying 5e into the game. The difference in speed is very noticeable. With even the slowest of ancestry options, at least in the core book, having more movement than is the average in 5e. And one of them, the orcs, having double that.

My complaint, is that it is still meant to be 1 yard to 1 square on a grid. That's why it feels like it would be good to trim down the speed in some way. Now if people have better examples of how to handle the movement and distance system without needing an entire long table worth of a battlemap, I'd love to hear it.

Edit: Lemon-Lime's post above is a good example, if that wasn't a typo. It wouldn't seem like an issue if it was actually 2 yd = 1 square.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

That sounds like a better way to do it than I had thought up, which is basically just the most simple idea. So it sounds like you just multiply the speed by three and then average it to closest even number?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Because the players' numbers are all way too big, and it means you need giant-rear end battle maps for it to work out that way.

It's this. My biggest battle map is that chessex megamat, but just going by the 1 to 1 ratio a player could pass most of that distance in two turns. Well, or one if they Rushed. It's all probably less of an issue if played online, but wanting to use a battlemat and tokens/minis changes things a bit.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

I've always loved how in most cases a simple question for something which sounds reasonable ends up being correct for the rules of this game.

Now if only I could get people to play the damned thing.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Out of curiosity since I brought it up over in the 5E thread.

I think I wasn't really correct about there being a lack of magic items in SotDL, but looking over the book it does seem pretty clear it isn't designed with them necessarily in mind. I'd need to look over an adventure or two, to see if there are any enchanted objects awarded anywhere.

Probably the main thing would be that, the magical items aren't as concrete as in D&D? The items with stats and such and various abilities listed are actually the relics, which I may have been getting mixed up with the other options.

What about you guys? Do you give out enchanted items often?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Obviously there's the option for a GM to just go, "No, you can't do that." but it's definitely better to not have that situation in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Only takes a little digging to see that "skills" still involves Professions as you know them from SotDL. Those are now Lore Skills (maybe change them to knowledge skills tbh?). There's also skills for using certain types of weapons, armor and languages.