Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
It probably should be mentioned that the game does tip its hat a lot to the 1st and 2nd edition of the Warhammer Fantasy RPG, from starting out in a fairly normal career and then progressing to more adventure-focused paths, and also the fact that one of special items you can start with is a small dog of noteworthy viciousness. (I don't think you can get 1d10 rats on a stick, but.)

I also appreciate that the game's doing the 'dark fantasy with occasional body horror' niche without ever leaning on rape or sexual assault to do it, at least in the books I have so far. Given other examples in the field that makes it kind of a standout!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I am really digging Glorious Death- I was always curious about the Jotuns, and now I want to play a giant blue Punch-viking.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Some things I've noticed that I will probably forget...

* You get a free level 0 spell when you learn a tradition
* Ability modifiers don't affect damage
* That +/- at character creation
* The choice after you take your first profession

That +/- is also basically the only way you can wear heavy armor without taking the Dreadnaught master path, as near as I can tell, and even then, only if you're human, a war or work clockwork, or an orc. (Or Jotun.) You need to start with at least 11 strength, do the +/- tradeoff to raise it to twelve, and then 3 of your path attribute boosts all have to go to strength in order to meet the minimum requirements, so no plate armor until level 7 for anyone regardless.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Honestly I think you could wring the basics of a pretty decent FF:Tactics game out of the setup for this game. Wouldn't really have to lighten the tone much even, (or at all, really, given the actual plot of the first FFT.)

...Except now I want a Dragoon Master path.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's a couple options for building unarmed guy in the Demon Lord's companion and a third in A Glorious Death, which is the big (small) book about playing giant blue vikings, the Jotun. The options in the Companion are probably more monklike, while the ones in Glorious Death are about being huge meaning you have huge fists with which to hit harder.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I wonder if it's a weird nod to the original AD&D ranger starting with two hit dice at first level.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

My Rogue avoided the chance of ever not having a boon on hand by going Rogue/Spellbinder/Gunslinger. No backstab, but boons and extra d6s of damage for days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

The Watermarked PDF option for the SotDL corebook on DTRPG is showing on sale for $19.99, discounted from $49.99?! Is the PDF of this game really normally $50?!

DTRPG always shows PDFs marked down from the physical book price.