Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Thanks for the OP, Serf!

I saw this gem on the g+ group, btw

quote:

Robert Schwalb
+2
I am not releasing a 2nd edition of the game. My objective with theses two path entries was to tighten a few screws. I will be folding these updates into the SotDL Player's Guide (this will be the front half of the main rulebook and available as a POD) and the SotDL PDF when we get to it.
So those Fighter &etc upgrades, it seems, will eventually be added into the main PDF for a new version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lightning Lord posted:

How much work would I need to do to use SotDL to run games set in Warhammer Fantasy's Old World?
From what I remember from WFRP2e (back when I ran it) you could pretty easily take the Demon Lord out, slot Khorne/Nurgle/etc. in, and run with it.

You might need to assign some Traditions to some of the gods, but I don't think you would even need to do that much work. Sigmar could slot in for the New God, etc. There's Humans and Dwarfs in the core book, Halflings in the Companion, and Elves in the Beauty book. I haven't seen Skaven, but they're probably somewhere.

The only big thing is that magic isn't as dangerous, generally. You won't have a demon eat your brain from casting a spell, unless it's a particularly evil spell and you get corrupted.

e: I kept on thinking while reading it that it's the closest game, thematically, to WFRP2e that I've seen. Much better rules, though. Conversion to SotDL should be easier than conversion to most any other system.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 24, 2017

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
e:^^^^ is answered by vvvvvv

Tales of the Demon Lord - which looks like a full campaign's worth of adventures - just got added to the Bundle of Holding!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Some things I've noticed that I will probably forget...

* You get a free level 0 spell when you learn a tradition
* Ability modifiers don't affect damage
* That +/- at character creation
* The choice after you take your first profession

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Impermanent posted:

How's the math of this game, and how much does it push away from Problematic D&D-isms? The fact that it's a 4e designer makes me think "maybe this will work." But 5e makes me think not so much. I do love games like Dark Souls and Darkest Dungeon, though, so I'm down to give it a shot.

The math seems rock solid. Everything is constrained, so it seems quite bounded. Boons and banes add a nice curve to outcomes, though, without the math going crazy due to how they (don't) stack. The 5e issue with skill bonuses basically disappears because professions are generally "yeah, you do it."

And as I mentioned, damage rolls don't get the bonuses, so you don't get double perks from high stats.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
FYI, the Screen got added to the bundle. Not a huge cause for celebration but eh. It's nice to have, you know?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Welp, now that I got buy-in from my players (once, you know, we finish the last adventure and a half of a Level 30 4e campaign), I went ahead and grabbed a hardbound copy of this glorious little rule set.

Thanks for tuning me into its greatness, everyone.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

The Malthusian posted:

Are the monster specific supplements any good? The blurb and art for the lizard folk one caught my eye, and I'm a sucker for bipedal herp monsters.
It has a lizardman race, which is probably too powerful for normal games.

Production values are good, though.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, I may try my hand at hex maps for this, but I'm not sure. Hexes get weird.

There's also the 1-yard thing. It seems like you really need to keep each hex/square 1 yard, because sometimes things key off odd numbers of yards. But the speeds of everyone (and areas and ranges) are all about 2x what I'm used to from 4e, so it seems like big maps are in order.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Angrymog posted:

A real annoyance with the PDFs - you can't turn the background layer off.
Yeah, I've downloaded the no-background versions, but even those are kind of beefy for my poor tablet.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Makaris posted:

I got the bundle for thirty bucks and am reading through everything. So far I'm only a bit through the core book, but can anyone advise if there is a non-binary element to the rolling, success/miss or fail-wise? Right now all I see if you get critical fails if you roll into the negatives due to banes.

Also is there a corresponding critical success for 21+
Crits are dependent on the ability you're using, or class features.

Fail forward is built into the DM advice, BTW.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Makaris posted:

Gotcha, thanks all.

Another... Less a question more and observation I guess, but the wording in some of the magic areas is very strange. Below is for Priests.

Magic:  You discover one tradition associated with your religion, as shown on the Religious Traditions table. Then make two choices, discovering one tradition associated with your religion or learning one spell for each.

It's that 'for each' that gets me. The way I read that, it would seem to indicate that choosing the 'get new spell' option gives you one spell *for each* tradition you know. But, I checked the games website and apparently that reading is incorrect and it's just one spell, period. What gives?
Yeah, Uncertain Faith clarifies it pretty well. :)

Remember that you get a free 0-level spell when you discover a tradition. It's an easy rule to miss.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Makaris posted:

Edit: don't you get *all* the level 0 spells for taking a tradition?
You get two if you're a Magician. Otherwise, it's 1.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Pastry Mistakes posted:

But yeah there are some questions:
1. Is there a link that more eloquently explains magic? Because it's written like hot garbage in the book (specifically the level 1 rules in regards to traditions and spell choices).
The Uncertain Faith book does a better job. You get 2 (or whatever) choices. Each choice you can discover 1 tradition (and one of its zero level spells) or learn 1 spell.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My kids have been watching Ladybug and Cat Noir, and the word "Akuma" has been forever spoiled for me. Though not necessarily in a bad way.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Pastry Mistakes posted:

So since I'm pure melee/non magic (since I'm a warrior -> knight), that means I can't pick up a spell even though the text gives me the option from an ancestry standpoint?
How would you, when you haven't discovered any traditions? What tradition would you pick it from?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Gay Horney posted:

Did they take down the SRD or is that just having hosting issues?
Ah poo poo it's down?

I thought it was legit.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So how's the Freeport stuff?

Do the SotDL rules work okay with the setting?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I think I'll use Freeport as the base when I get around to running this. I don't think any of my players have gone through it before in any system.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FunkMonkey posted:

Well I'm feeling like an rear end dropping money on Paths of Power for my boys just last month. Ah, well.
I think they still have new paths, right?

Also that comes to like $3. :)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lemon-Lime posted:

That's really daft; including the Paths errata was a good move.
Agreed.

I don't do Google+ though. It's a hellhole.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Any word on if this LANCER guy has been in touch with Schwalb?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So I saw Companion 2 is out now? What's this one about? Any good?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wow, I am loving this 31% off sale right now.

Also I noticed there's another new version of the core book. I wonder if the paths of power stuff is back in?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Serf posted:

From what I can tell, the better Fighter from Paths of Battle is now the standard Fighter. I could be wrong, but they look identical.
You know... Checking it over, I would concur. The "strength counted as 2 higher" bit is there. IIRC, that was one of the key changes.

Good. I had remembered he'd rolled it back after complaints, last I'd heard anything about it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
This has been determined as our next rpg, coming hot off a 3-1/2 year, 1-30 4e campaign.

I'm running the Freeport series which - as of a few days ago - was half off on dtrpg.

Anything I should keep in mind?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

bewilderment posted:

The PDF of the corebook was updated with changes to some basic paths and some errata a few months back, make sure you pick it up if you last downloaded a while ago.

Level 0 means anyone can die in one hit, so make sure the level 0 experience is brief or clearly mark intended dangers and combats.
Got the new PDFs a while back and yeah, Paths of Power makes a big difference.

My players seem into it! I have people who never read stuff during the week, making up sets of 4-5 characters to pick from when we play on Wednesday. :)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh quick question - sorry for the double post.

Is the Adept from Forbidden Rules balanced okay?
How about the option for Magician to take their Potent Spellcasting instead of Cantrips?

Also I am strongly considering using Zones for combat - but I am worried this might hose up area effect spells a bit too much. Has anyone used them?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Glukeose posted:

Yeah, adept is generally pretty well balanced and slots nicely into a party as a battlemage. The ability to cast and weapon attack at the same time is useful, but not overpowered.
Sweet, thanks

Quick question - I see no downside to missile weapon use while in melee combat. Is this accurate?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lichtenstein posted:

Pretty sure it was some standard negative d6.
Can you find that anywhere? Because I really can't find it anywhere. :)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Conspiratiorist posted:

There isn't one, and why would you houserule it in??
I don't expect I will - I was just making sure I didn't miss anything.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Serf posted:

Bows generally do less damage than melee weapons and have limited ammunition. A crossbow costs twice as much as a sword and you have to reload it. Guns are also expensive, have to be reloaded and are pretty rare in the base setting. Overall I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to use a bow in melee like some Legolas rear end in a top hat and not be penalized for it.
Also they have way shittier tricks and options, most of which take 2 banes instead of 1.

I'm using abstract zoned combat. If I have no idea exactly where everyone is, I'm not going to worry about whether Hank the Ranger is in melee this very minute.

I would have probably used such a rule if there was one to be found, but since there's not, I'm okay with it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh yeah! In other news, we started SotDL tonight with the Freeport trilogy, which rockets you from 0 to 1st pretty much right away, which is good.

We have a Salamander Warrior, a Human Priest of the New God, a Dwarf Lover er... Warrior, a Changeling Warrior, an Orc Rogue, a Human Adept, and a Clockwork Magician.

It's pretty rad so far!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So basically this is Uncertain Faith for Warriors? Interesting. I also kinda think it undermines what's fundamentally supposed to be a simple system. But then again, I have like 3 Warriors in my group. Hmm.

How's the balance look?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I just bought Bred for Battle myself and I'm kinda lukewarm on it. I'll check with my players to see if one of these paths is more appealing than base Warrior is, but I don't think I'll likely find any takers. :)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I am pretty sure PCs will die if they take more damage while down, which is making life really hard for our Rogue. He got Erode cast on him last session, which hit for 20+ so it's doing 2d6 every round, and welp.

We had to end the session mid-fight, which stinks, but we are LOVING this game.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Rogue Trickery question....

"Once per round, you can make an
attack roll or challenge roll with 1 boon.
If you attack with 1 boon from this
talent, your attack deals 1d6 extra
damage."

Does a Rogue still get this if said Boon is offset by Banes, to the point where they have zero Boons? It looks like Backstab explicitly would not, and neither would Dirty Tricks, but this one's different.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Jack B Nimble posted:

What "with a boon" means came up in our last game and I just said it as plus one because, what, you want it to reduce 3 boons to 1 too? I'm not sure which is right though, we just agreed on something.

Also that particular passage seems clear because it says in the next sentence that the boon may not result in a net positive.
Yeah, I would read anything that says "with one boon" to also include "more than one."

In this case - our Rogue was shooting at someone who had cover. So his boon from trickery was counteracted by a bane from cover, and he made the attack ultimately straight up with neither boons nor banes.

If our Rogue attacks with a Boon and Trickery, he's normally dealing +2d6 damage, from Trickery and Backstab. It looks like if that Boon is offset by Banes to the point where he has no remaining Boons, he should still get the +1d6 from Trickery (because the boon is still being used, kinda) but lose the +1d6 from Backstab.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Jack B Nimble posted:

My rogue would have used trigger action to gain a boon on that. When I'm not phone posting I'll say more but basically you can get a boon that was at the risk of having your long action not go off.

I should say I'm not sure that's exactly how a triggered action work RAW but we like the trade off.

Edit yeah I just checked and prepare gives a boon. It was especially helpful at lower level when players didn't have many triggered actions anyway.
Yeah, my players have learned the joys of triggered actions :) It's expensive - as you mentioned, you lose the triggered action and might lose actions entirely - but it's powerful. I am not sure, personally, that I like how it screws up the flow of combat; it incentivizes reaction instead of action, which muddles up combat rounds.

Antilles posted:

Yeah, in the game I'm running I'm using Trickery as "If you use the boon on an attack roll, that attack gains +1d6 damage". Combined with Backstab he's the deadliest bastard in the group, but given the rest of the group is 3 priests and a magician...
Yeah, the Rogue is super deadly. If he uses Trickery with net boons, he also uses Backstab and deals +2d6 damage. If he uses Trickery but attacks without any net boons - is he dealing +1d6 damage or +0 damage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

LGD posted:

RAW/RAI he's dealing +0 damage. It's basically classic D&D-esque rogue design- massive damage if you've got an advantage over your target, but damage that's inferior to a warrior-type if you're forced into a straight up brawl. Trickery abstracts stuff like feinting or setting up a flank so that rogues can do their thing without it being obnoxious/time consuming/difficult to pull off. Though you can certainly house-rule it.
HUH! Okay then.

In other questions, has anyone bought Caecras or Kingdom of God? How are the Expert paths in them? (I miss the wiki :()