Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
I dunno if anyone's talked about this before, but I found a way to get to a Strength of 20.

First you start off with the Jotun Ancestry (Glorious Death). Your stats are Strength 13, Agility 9, Intellect 8, Will 10. Decrease one of the latter three (Intellect would be my choice) by 1 and raise Strength by 1 for a starting score of 14.

At 1st Level you raise Strength to 15, and same for 3rd level in an Expert Path to 16. For 7th level Master Path pick Transmuter and you know have a respectable 17. Repeat the process at 10th level, where the Transmuter increases every score by 1 and your Strength is 18.

But that's not all. The 7th level Transmuter ability Optimization allows you to reduce a score by 2 and increase another by 2 per rest.

I don't know if there are similar means for other scores, but from what I can tell the Jotun has the largest starting score in any of the four.

I also Ran Dark Deeds in last Hope many moons ago, save with 2 players running 2 PCs each. It was a fun romp, even if the Roll20 RNG was cursed that day. We liked a lot of the mechanics as well as the world-lore (half our party were clockworks I believe).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

Goblins can do Agility 19 through much the same process, and Humans 18 on any attribute they want. Though, Strength is the worse attribute to do this on, even if it can get the highest, as Agility at least can be used for Defense (Humans and Goblins can get an easy 23 with Arcane Armor).

Arcane Armor grants a +2 armor and you can't be wearing existing armor with it. That would ordinarily be a 21, not 23, with a 19 Agility. Where's the bonus +2 coming from? An Abjurer can grant up to a +6 Defense with a level 5 Protection spell, which is a net +3 Defense compared to the Transmuter method but lasts for only a minute.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 21, 2017

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

It's third party, but a SotDL system conversion of The Book of Exalted Darkness came out.

Does anyone have it?

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

In Community Content on Drive-Thru RPG I found a supplement for solo play. Specifically playing without a GM.

I was wondering if the rules were capable of doing a 1-on-1 session using SotDL rules, a la Scarlet Heroes?

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

So I just ran my second (first was years ago) adventure for Shadow of the Demon Lord for 3 players. I did a level 0 starting adventure Dead by Dawn, and true to form it resulted in a TPK. One of the players was absent so one of the other players ran 2 PCs instead. From what we could tell so far level 0 is both very swingy and lethal, although I do not know to what extent this adventure is representative of the RPG and other Starting ones of its kind. Our group still wants to give the game a shot in spite of the deaths, albeit as proper level 1 characters next time. In hindsight I don't know if certain tactics could have made a difference. Particularly during PC fast turns, I feel like if PCs opened up with using slings during the fast action they could have gotten in more damage by the time their slow turns came into play instead. I also only told the players about Fortune Points halfway through the session instead of at the beginning as it slipped my mind at the time.

For those unfamiliar, Dead by Dawn is a classic zombie horde survival where the PCs end up in an inn besieged by the walking dead, and must survive five waves of monsters before dawn comes. The PCs decided to retreat to the second floor and use the hallway as a bottleneck to attack the undead, but I also had it so that a few of them got around into rooms by climbing and ripping open boarded windows. Putting doors shut could give a round of respite while the animated corpses wailed on them, although the multi-pronged attacks on my part made it so that even a chokepoint was not a safe route, only a temporary reprieve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Shadow of the Demon Lord has a Chinese translation.

Looks to be a very recent release.