Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I started flipping through the PDF yesterday, and was so impressed I ordered the core book and am planning on running a one-shot this weekend. Are there any decent player aids out there that I can print off for the table? We'll only have one book between 4 or 5 people, and a sheet with an outline of the combat system, how damage/health works, modifiers, power vs spell expenditures, and stuff like that would be incredibly helpful. All the systems look fairly simple, but having them all laid out on a sheet in front of each player will definitely speed things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Question about how Dark Magic Traditions interact with the Magician's Cantrip talent.

Dark Magic Traditions: You gain 1 Corruption each time you discover a dark magic tradition. As well, each time you learn a spell from a dark magic tradition, roll a d6. If the number is less than the total number of dark magic spells you have learned, you gain 1 Corruption.

Cantrip: Whenever you discover a tradition, you learn an extra rank 0 spell from that tradition.

Is this sequence correct then?
  • Magician learns Forbidden tradition and learns a rank 0 spell
  • Dark Magic Tradition procs from learning tradition: Gains 1 Corruption
  • Dark Magic Tradition procs from learning a dark magic spell: Roll d6, potentially gain 1 Corruption.
  • Cantrip procs: Learns extra rank 0 spell (now a total of 2 dark magic spells)
  • Dark Magic Tradition procs from learning a dark magic spell: Roll d6, potentially gain 1 Corruption.
Is that correct? Is Dark Magic Tradition supposed to "proc" three times for Magicians?

edit
Found a post on Google+ asking this exact question: https://plus.google.com/+DShoe/posts/ekgbXKcevuF
The official ruling on if Dark Magic Tradition is supposed to "proc" three times:

Robert Schwalb posted:

Yep. But, you should feel free to change the amount of corruption gained if you want such spells to be more widely available.
:getin:

Duct Tape fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 26, 2017

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Is there any official errata on the Prepare action? I ask, because it doesn't restrict what the trigger on the activity should be, it just says: "describe what event has to occur for you to undertake it" and then when it happens you perform the activity "with 1 boon."

By that logic (and my table was pretty quick to start exploiting), you could set triggers that will obviously happen, for the sole purpose of giving yourself a boon.

For example, a demon was pummeling our dwarf. It was incredibly obvious that the demon was out for blood and was trying to murder the dwarf. When it came time for the new round, the magician set a triggger of "I attack when the demon continues it's attack on the dwarf". Lo-and-behold the demon continued it's attack, which was interrupted by the magician's trigger, who got a free boon on their attack roll.

Every once and a while that's fine, but it quickly turned into every round looking for some stupid, 100% likely trigger to prepare against. It slowed the game down and felt stupid.

Is there a good way of handling this? I was thinking of something like "You can only prepare for an activity that you couldn't perform right now," but was wondering if was addressed officially somewhere.

edit

Found an official response: https://plus.google.com/+ThomasDrevon/posts/TgamQWp2jHg
It's a long discussion on this topic, but the crux seems to be whether or not your trigger can be part of an action (e.g. beginning to attack, or starting to move), which is more-or-less left up to the GM. The official rules is that the trigger may "interrupt another creature’s turn", but it doesn't say that it may interrupt another creature's action.

I think I'll go with a "You can only prepare an activity that you couldn't perform right now, and if your trigger is based on an action then that action completes before your trigger occurs." This allows for positive Prepared actions like "I stand watch and shoot anything that comes through that door", but prevents stupid Prepared actions like "I attack if the creature that's currently attacking me continues attacking me."

Duct Tape fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 30, 2017

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Antilles posted:

Question from the session that I was uncertain of the answer: Can clockworks not die? Normally PCs become Disabled and have to make Fate rolls and risk death, but clockworks just wind down and become objects until someone winds them up again?

This happened in my last session, twice even, and we were equally confused. After digging through the rules, we found two ways clockworks can die: instant death and damage while incapacitated.

Instant Death (p39): "A creature dies if it takes an amount of damage equal to its Health from a single source such as an attack or landing after a fall."
and
Clockwork - Key (p15): "Although you are an object while you are incapacitated, you are still subject to the rules for incapacitated creatures."
Incapacitated (p40): "If the creature takes any damage while incapacitated, it dies."

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Serf posted:

I found a thread from the G+ community that might have what you're looking for

Also, since Saturday appears to be a bad time for folks, I'm considering moving the one-shot to Thursday, June 15th at 7:00 PM EST. I want to try to keep the session to no more than 3 hours, which shouldn't be hard, the adventure in question is pretty short.

I'm in, if there are still openings. I've GM'd SotDL twice, but it would be great to see the game from the player's perspective, and to correct any mistakes I've unintentionally brought to the table. Couple questions, should we make characters ahead of time, or just plow through that at the beginning?

Also, I'm green as hell at Roll20. Is there a good tutorial that you'd recommend for getting up to speed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Makaris posted:

I got the bundle for thirty bucks and am reading through everything. So far I'm only a bit through the core book, but can anyone advise if there is a non-binary element to the rolling, success/miss or fail-wise? Right now all I see if you get critical fails if you roll into the negatives due to banes.

Also is there a corresponding critical success for 21+

There are, though they are move-specific and gated at 20+. For example, the Rogue's Exploit Opportunity move (p57):
Exploit Opportunity Once per round, when the total of your attack roll is 20 or higher and exceeds the target number by at least 5, you can take another turn at any point before the end of the round.