Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

bump_fn posted:

shaggar can u describe the emotional rollercoaster u went through when they renamed internet explorer

Edge is gr8 I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
When it first came out it was good but didn't have tracking protection lists so it was not really usable but now it has extensions support so its real good

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

My Mac gets a solid 30fps in every game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Zl0bKKXmk

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
PS4 is extremely good

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Apple doesn't do game-specific driver optimization, they don't replace popular games' shaders with their own hand-written ones, plus they don't work with game developers to, like, make sure they're submitting the optimal
number of triangles for specific hardware, etc. Plus the drivers probably do stuff like zeroing out graphics memory before giving it to the application for security.

OP, there's stuff like Limbo, TS-100, etc, but there're also "real" games like Strafe. Apparently some AAA FPSes are available, but I dunno how good the ports are.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Anyway, you should play Strafe regardless of platform.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 24, 2017

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

30fps. lol.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Can any computer handle these advanced graphics?

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 24, 2017

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Doc Block posted:

This game has a bunch of negative reviews on steam from early access backers. Did they piss off the crowd funding people but it's still good or...?

rchon
Feb 19, 2015

Salt Fish posted:

My 1 like is making short lists not long ones.

hm, i'd definitely put tori on the short list

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
1) I don't know who that is.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

rchon posted:

hm, i'd definitely put tori on the short list

haha

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Salt Fish posted:

This game has a bunch of negative reviews on steam from early access backers. Did they piss off the crowd funding people but it's still good or...?

Strafe is a fun game, and I like it a lot. I wasn't a Kickstarter backer, but I don't regret the $19.96 (LOL) purchase.

A lot of people thought it was gonna be Quake and/or Doom, didn't know what "roguelike" meant, and based their whole opinion of the game on the first level or two (since the game is hard & they couldn't get any further). They seemed to think it was gonna be just run-and-gun with lots of ammo and health sprinkled everywhere. It has plenty of run-and-gun, but health is scarce and armor is expensive if you don't know that you can keep shooting the scrap crates to get more and more scrap.

Strafe:
  • Permadeath. If you die, you have to start at the beginning (or at the last teleporter you completely fixed). Starting from a teleporter has downsides, though, since you'll miss the weapon upgrades in the levels you skipped.
  • No saves, otherwise you could get around the permadeath.
  • Randomly generated levels. They're made from a bunch of pre-designed rooms, but the rooms are randomly chosen and placed. Sometimes this results in levels that aren't completely fair. And yes, this means that sometimes the levels don't "flow", but it would be boring to have to play through exactly the same hand-designed level over and over.
  • Only one "main" weapon. You can get other guns, but the only one you'll get ammo for is the one you pick at the very beginning of the run. Other guns are left all over the place, though.
  • Lots of melee enemies at the beginning that everyone seems to be basing their opinions of the game's enemies on. Later zones have different, more varied enemies.
  • You'll have to play through the same zones multiple times, hence them being randomly generated. This is a roguelike thing, and goes with the dying a lot and permadeath aspects, which are also due to it being a roguelike. Strafe takes it up a notch by requiring multiple play throughs for each zone if you want to find all the secrets, teleporter parts, etc.
  • It's hard. It's easier now than it was on release day, but it's still hard. It's supposed to be hard.
  • No adjustable difficulty. See above.
  • The first zone, Icarus, has some cramped rooms, but also some bigger, more open rooms. People were complaining a lot about only getting the cramped rooms early on, but the developers seem to have adjusted the level generator to use more open rooms. Later zones are a lot more open.
  • You won't get far if you don't know how to circle-strafe. There's a secret level that you can't beat if you don't know how to strafe-jump and rocket-jump.
  • Some performance issues, but most of them seem to have been fixed.

It's a fun game, though. As long as you don't get attached to a run, and understand that they're supposed to be short and you're supposed to die a lot, it's pretty fun IMHO. Lots of running around and blowing things up and making gore splatter everywhere, you just have to be decent at dodging incoming fire.

There are lots of secrets, most of which are also randomly chosen and placed. One time I got the big cannon from Serious Sam, which shoots huge cannonballs that crush a bunch of enemies then explode. Last run through I found a secret room that had the dagger from Devil Daggers, which when picked up gives you that game's sole weapon (a hand that shoots daggers) and pixellates the screen.

(they even made it work like Devil Daggers, where tapping fire shoots a shotgun-like spread of daggers, but holding down fire is more like a dagger machine gun)

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 25, 2017

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Oh nice, I will probably grab it then because I really like rougelikes and super demanding fps.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Yeah, my biggest gripe is that not all enemies make walking noises, but as long as you keep moving it's not too big of a deal. At least they fixed the enemy proximity sounds being too quiet.

edit: and the death screens are great (technically a spoiler but not really):

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 25, 2017

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Doc Block posted:

Strafe is a fun game, and I like it a lot. I wasn't a Kickstarter backer, but I don't regret the $19.96 (LOL) purchase.

A lot of people thought it was gonna be Quake and/or Doom, didn't know what "roguelike" meant, and based their whole opinion of the game on the first level or two (since the game is hard & they couldn't get any further). They seemed to think it was gonna be just run-and-gun with lots of ammo and health sprinkled everywhere. It has plenty of run-and-gun, but health is scarce and armor is expensive if you don't know that you can keep shooting the scrap crates to get more and more scrap.

Strafe:
  • Permadeath. If you die, you have to start at the beginning (or at the last teleporter you completely fixed). Starting from a teleporter has downsides, though, since you'll miss the weapon upgrades in the levels you skipped.
  • No saves, otherwise you could get around the permadeath.
  • Randomly generated levels. They're made from a bunch of pre-designed rooms, but the rooms are randomly chosen and placed. Sometimes this results in levels that aren't completely fair. And yes, this means that sometimes the levels don't "flow", but it would be boring to have to play through exactly the same hand-designed level over and over.
  • Only one "main" weapon. You can get other guns, but the only one you'll get ammo for is the one you pick at the very beginning of the run. Other guns are left all over the place, though.
  • Lots of melee enemies at the beginning that everyone seems to be basing their opinions of the game's enemies on. Later zones have different, more varied enemies.
  • You'll have to play through the same zones multiple times, hence them being randomly generated. This is a roguelike thing, and goes with the dying a lot and permadeath aspects, which are also due to it being a roguelike. Strafe takes it up a notch by requiring multiple play throughs for each zone if you want to find all the secrets, teleporter parts, etc.
  • It's hard. It's easier now than it was on release day, but it's still hard. It's supposed to be hard.
  • No adjustable difficulty. See above.
  • The first zone, Icarus, has some cramped rooms, but also some bigger, more open rooms. People were complaining a lot about only getting the cramped rooms early on, but the developers seem to have adjusted the level generator to use more open rooms. Later zones are a lot more open.
  • You won't get far if you don't know how to circle-strafe. There's a secret level that you can't beat if you don't know how to strafe-jump and rocket-jump.
  • Some performance issues, but most of them seem to have been fixed.

It's a fun game, though. As long as you don't get attached to a run, and understand that they're supposed to be short and you're supposed to die a lot, it's pretty fun IMHO. Lots of running around and blowing things up and making gore splatter everywhere, you just have to be decent at dodging incoming fire.

There are lots of secrets, most of which are also randomly chosen and placed. One time I got the big cannon from Serious Sam, which shoots huge cannonballs that crush a bunch of enemies then explode. Last run through I found a secret room that had the dagger from Devil Daggers, which when picked up gives you that game's sole weapon (a hand that shoots daggers) and pixellates the screen.

(they even made it work like Devil Daggers, where tapping fire shoots a shotgun-like spread of daggers, but holding down fire is more like a dagger machine gun)

:spergin:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Doc Block posted:

Yeah, my biggest gripe is that not all enemies make walking noises, but as long as you keep moving it's not too big of a deal. At least they fixed the enemy proximity sounds being too quiet.

edit: and the death screens are great (technically a spoiler but not really):

trash. lmfao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Shaggar posted:

30fps. lol.

lol

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Skifree

I blame Disney
Sep 30, 2016

They know what they did

:yeah:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
lol 265 MB

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

~Coxy posted:

lol 265 MB

im gonna guess full dosbox with win 3.1, op

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Doc Block posted:

I got this game and my XPS with a 6200U can't run it at a playable fps even at 800x600. I'll have to wait until I'm back home next week to play it on my 2fast2furious gamer desktop, but it's in poor taste to make a retro game with super high system requirements. I can play dota 2 at 80fps on this laptop with no issues; I know it's no macbook, but it's a pretty decent laptop.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

carry on then posted:

That seems way too big for win 3.11 when I remember my dad installing win95 off of like twenty floppy disks

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

carry on then posted:

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That seems way too big for win 3.11 when I remember my dad installing win95 off of like twenty floppy disks

says wineskin in the folder so it would be a full set of wine libs statically linked inside the .app i guess

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Salt Fish posted:

I got this game and my XPS with a 6200U can't run it at a playable fps even at 800x600. I'll have to wait until I'm back home next week to play it on my 2fast2furious gamer desktop, but it's in poor taste to make a retro game with super high system requirements. I can play dota 2 at 80fps on this laptop with no issues; I know it's no macbook, but it's a pretty decent laptop.

My dual core i3 runs it fine. v:shobon:v

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Doc Block posted:

My dual core i3 runs it fine. v:shobon:v

Do you have a discrete video card? This is with the integrated HD whatever.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

factorio

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Salt Fish posted:

Do you have a discrete video card? This is with the integrated HD whatever.

yes

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pram
Jun 10, 2001

freakin loved this

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOQeykqQj-k

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
what about overwatch

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

George posted:

what about overwatch

save it for the "Blizzard games that aren't on Mac" thread buddy

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
the best version of Oregon trail was on Mac

same with super munchers

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
basically just work through the mecc back catalog op

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

A Pinball Wizard posted:

the best version of Oregon trail was on Mac

same with super munchers

well, obviously

PCs were hamstrung by lovely busses and slow CPUs until the early 00s

Mac LucasArts games used to have a cheat code "rough" which would implement 4x pixel doubling as if it were a DOS/win32 port

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
what owns about games on osx is how when you run games in a resolution different from your desktop res it scales em to it so you dont get a black resync screen. very smooth. great for alt tabbing. however with windows pcs you can just run games at your monitors native res LOL

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Make a video of saving the guy really fast and post it on youtube with the title " Stuntcopter any% WORLD RECORD"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Aix posted:

what owns about games on osx is how when you run games in a resolution different from your desktop res it scales em to it so you dont get a black resync screen. very smooth. great for alt tabbing. however with windows pcs you can just run games at your monitors native res LOL

this isn't true at all

• Locked thread