Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
HBS's Battletech game releases April 24th 2018!. Less than a month to go. What is Battletech? It began life as a tabletop game in the 80s, eventually migrating to PC and gave birth to the Mechwarrior series of games. It's about giant, stompy robots piloted by nobles and mercenaries in a sort of quasi "Mad Max in space" future. Mechwarrior has culminated in Mechwarrior Online, a Free-To-Play Arena Shooter. PGI, the makers of MWO have provided their 3D models for their Mechs to be used in this game. For those of you with a low opinion of PGI, the good news is that this is the only input they've had in the making of HBS' Battletech. This game in particular, is a turn-based squad tactical game with a Mercenary Company management element set in the 3025 era of Battletech. Which means NO CLANS. In the campaign you don't just have to fight battles with your Mechs, you have to purchase, repair and salvage Mechs as you go. You control a single lance of Mechs, a lance is 4 Mechs. You can hire artillery and air support, or vehicle (tanks) support. You have a massive, mobile base called the Argo that allows you to store up to 12 active Mechs and effectively unlimited storage of inactive Mechs. But it costs time and money to re-activate a Mech. The purpose it serves is so that you don't have to throw away a salvaged Mech because you already have your 12.

The sole failure state for the single-player campaign, per the developers, is bankruptcy. You can lose battles all you want, so long as you don't run out of money. Of course, losing will facilitate the loss of that money eventually. Also, it is important to note, this game is not and was never intended to be a direct port of the tabletop Battletech rules. They've departed from them in many ways, details of which I'll go into later in this post.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1365402907 This is a basic tactics guide for the game. Written by a man named Eck. Eck works for Harebrained Schemes, the developers of this game, he's notable for being undefeated in the office against other players. He's really, really drat good. So good there's an acheivement for playing him or someone who has played him. Read this, it'll help.

If you're still asking yourself, "Okay, but what is Battletech? Never heard of it.", I would suggest SkyShadowing's Cliff Notes post further down this page. Even shorter version is, it's
3025 and humanity has reverted to Space Feudalism. There are 5 major Houses (arranged like a wheel, for the most part, if they border each other they hate each other), a number of smaller powers, pirates, mercenaries and ComStar. ComStar is basically Space AT&T, but with an agenda.

Those of you familiar with Battletech/Mechwarrior are probably going to ask yourselves "Is there a Mechlab, can I customize my Mechs?". Well, good news, you can and we already know some details about it thanks to the Official forums at http://www.battletechgame.com

The Devs have stated that the Mechlab will be similar to, but not a copy of that from Mechwarrior Online. In HBS:BT there will be 4 types of hardpoints:

Energy - This includes the Medium Laser, Large Laser and PPC.
Missile - SRMs and LRMs
Ballistic - This covers all varieties of Autocannon. The AC/2, AC/5, AC/10 and AC/20
Support - This one is new, for those familiar with the franchise. Here you find your Small Lasers, Flamers and Machine Guns.

In order to give the various weapon types their own interesting flavor, HBS has added various modifiers to them. Autocannons were not only buffed vs Tabletop (Instead of an AC-2/5/10/20 setup, in TT terms it translates to a 5/9/12/20 but with armor, structure and damage all multiplied by 5) they now have a Recoil factor. If you fire the same AC two rounds in a row, on the 2nd round it incurs a -10% penalty to hit. That penalty disappears if you hold fire with that weapon for 1 round. Lasers have an inherent +5% bonus to hit. Flamers both do damage and add heat to the target. However, in Beta, each Flamer could only be fired 3 times per match. MGs have a crazy high Crit boost, makes them pretty effective against armor-stripped sections and cockpits. PPCs actually incur a To-Hit penalty to the target, so when you hit something with a PPC you actually make its weapons have a 5% lower chance to hit home. This doesn't stack, however, so hitting with all 3 PPCs from an Awesome doesn't incur triple the penalty. All weapons receive a +5% to hit when mounted in the arms.

Support weapons are also notable because, in this game you must choose to either fire your weapons or engage in a Melee attack (that's right, your robots can Punch, Kick and "DFA"). Support weapons are the exception to that rule, when you engage in a Melee attack your support weapons will fire to add extra damage to your attack.

That's right, punching and kicking in giant robots.

aniviron posted:

Don't worry, I've got you covered:

What is a DFA you might ask? It stands for 'Death From Above' and describes a risky and insane manuever where your Mech jumps through the air and attempts to land on an enemy unit. And it's in this game!

If you're familiar with MWO, there's going to be a lot missing in this Mechlab that might take some getting used to. There is no Ferro-Fibrous armor or Endosteel structure (weight saving upgrades, for those unfamiliar), there are also no Double Heatsinks, Gauss Rifles or Streak SRMs. Engines are also locked, so the base speed of a Mech cannot be changed (significantly, at least) and you can't make a Mech slower in order to mount more/bigger weapons on it. You can however, fit jumpjets to any Mech so long as you free up the required tonnage by removing weapons, armor or heatsinks.

There aren't just mechs though. There are vehicles, including tanks, that you'll also fight on the battlefield. Don't make the mistake of thinking these aren't dangerous either.

https://giant.gfycat.com/LimpingWanAmericanbittern.webm

Just recently System Requirements were added to the Steam page for this game, they are as follows:

System Requirements posted:

WINDOWS MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel Core i3-2105 or AMD Phenom II X3 720
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 560 Ti or Radeon HD 5870 (1 GB VRAM)
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 30 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9 sound device

WINDOWS RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel Core i5-4460 or AMD FX 4300
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 670 or Radeon R9 285 (2 GB VRAM)
DirectX: Version 11
Sound Card: DirectX 9 sound device

MAC MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel Core i5-4670
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 775M (2 GB VRAM)

MAC RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel Core i7-7700K
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580 (8 GB VRAM)

So there's the technical jargon you need to know about this game.

For HBS:BT they've departed from the tabletop turn structure (everyone moves in order of initiative, then everyone shoots) and gone with something quite different. I'll quote myself from the old thread here.

Q_res posted:

Each turn is divided into 5 Phases, counting down from 5 to 1. Lights activate in Phase 4, Mediums in 3, Heavies in 2 and Assaults in 1. You can 'Reserve' your Mechs to a later phase, except the Assaults because there is no later phase. But you must move any Mechs you wish to in a given Phase before you Reserve, because once you hit that button it reserves all Mechs that haven't taken an action in the current phase. There's a pilot skill that allows your Mechwarrior to activate 1 phase earlier (hence Phase 5, for Lights with that skill).

You can see this in action by watching these gameplay videos of the Beta Multiplayer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI HBS Beta Multiplayer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-lMNAJ8ZdA 1v1 Skirmish PDXCON 2017

That's right, this game does include multiplayer. It's a simple 1v1 Skirmish mode, up to 4 Mechs per player. As multiplayer was the last stretch goal of the Kickstarter campaign, it's fairly barebones. However, this means that there are no unlocks. All Mechs and all weapons are available to you from the start, so at least there's zero barrier of entry. You won't get your rear end kicked just because someone has been playing it for 4 months and has unlocked all the cool poo poo you can't use.

Your Mech pilots have basic stats Piloting, Gunnery, Guts, and Tactics. Pilot and Gunnery are right out of tabletop, but here things are flipped and higher numbers are better. Warning for tabletop veterans: Skills do not work like they do in Tabletop. They’re a 1-10 scale with higher numbers being better.

Each skill has abilities it provides, you get to choose 1 skill as a 'Specialization' and 1 as an 'Expertise'. So you get the low-level ability from 1 skill (your Specialization) and 2 abilities from another (your Expertise). Here's what we're looking at based on what we know so far.

Specialization = 5 point ability in that skillset
Expertise = 5 & 8 point abilities in that skillset

Piloting:

5 - Evasive Movement - Your Mech generates an extra Evasive charge/pip up to the maximum of 6.
8 - Ace Pilot - Your Mech can move after shooting if it hasn't yet moved this turn.

Tactics:

5 - Sensor Lock - Select a target within sensor range and reveal it until end of the current round, and remove 2 Evasive charges/pips
8 - Master Tactician - Mechs piloted by this Mechwarrior receive +1 Initiative (move 1 phase earlier) and remove 1 bar of Stability damage when reserving.

Guts:

5 - Bulwark - Gain Guarded when stationary. 50% damage reduction to ranged attacks from the front and sides.
8 - Juggernaut - When you melee attack a target it receives -1 Initiative (moves one phase later).

Gunnery:

5 - Multi-Targeting - Fire weapons at up to 3 targets within this Mechs current firing arc.
8 - Breaching Shot - Attacks with a single weapon ignore Cover and Guarded on the target.

Bonus: Those Gunnery skills stack, so you can get Breaching Shot on Multiple targets if you bring something like an Awesome, Trebuchet or Catapult. Also good for Mechs with both short and long range weaponry.

And since this brought up the topic of Evasive charges/pips, I should probably explain those. As you move you build up Evasion, this is displayed in the form of sideways pointing chevrons by the name of your Mech. Each chevron is worth a +2 to your To-Hit calculations. Which roughly translates to a 10% reduction in your chances to actually score a hit. You can build a maximum of 6 pips, Sensor Lock removes 2 of them. Melee ignores the first 4 Evasive chevrons (DFA ignores the first 3) and Evasive Move lets you build 1 extra (up to 6).

Now, back to the campaign. This game takes place in a region known as the Aurigan Reach, out in the Rimward Periphery.

This means you're effectively off, away from most of the big players of the Inner Sphere (the collective term for the various human powers throughout the known galaxy). This setting was chosen so that HBS could play around a little and not step on established Battletech canon. They have said, however, that the major powers (Lyran Commonwealth, Federated Suns, Draconis Combine, Free Worlds League and Capellan Confederation) would all have a part to play in the storyline.

The basic outline of the story is that this lady

and her family were in charge of a nation known as the Aurigan Coalition. Her father's right hand man, Santiago Espinosa, worked for him for decades before pulling off a coup. Usurping the throne and renaming it the Aurigan Directorate. Now she's working to fight and get back what was taken from her. And you're basically her go-to guy for getting the tough work done. However, once the story is completed you can continue to play through procedurally generated missions, continuing to build up your Mercenary Company. In fact, you can drop in and out of the story as you please to take unrelated missions. Unfortunately, the storyline isn't a branching, reactive one. You can't choose to work for the Directorate.

If you've read through all that, you're probably at least a little bit interested in this game. But if you're still not sure, here are some videos for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HereJw4XP4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJiPxCS1yvs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxqmd_tE2WI

Pre-orders are up at Steam, GOG.com, the Paradox store and other websites.

Invite link for the new Discord https://discord.gg/2HPsdKSyyD Now with 100% less Nazi loving admins.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Since this question gets asked frequently.

anakha posted:

Which system tags should I be looking for to get the heavy metal guns and upgrades?

Filter for the following:

* Battlefield: Actuators & Gyros
* Chemical: Missile weapons, Flamers, Inferno racks
* Electronics: Laser weaponry and TTS computers
* Industrial: Cockpit, Heat Banks and Exchangers
* Mining: Autocannons. Base models guaranteed, Heavy Metal variants randomly rolled.
* Research: PPCs of all types, COILs, Narc beacons, TAG lasers, ECM and Active Probe gear.
* Star League: Lostech.

The full roster of Mechs (38 base chassis and 12 variants for a total of 50 distinct Mech options. By the last count given to ), below is a list of the Mech chassis confirmed by the Devs so far. Variants that were present in Beta are listed in parentheses.

quote:

LIGHT

Locust (LCT-1V, LCT-1S, LCT-1M)
Commando (COM-2D, COM-1B)
Spider (SDR-5V)
Firestarter (FS9-H)
Jenner (JR7-D)
Panther (PNT-9R)
Urbanmech (UM-R60)
Raven

MEDIUM

Cicada (CDA-2A, CDA-3C)
Blackjack (BJ-1)
Vindicator (VND-1R)
Centurion (CN9-A, CN9-AL)
Enforcer (ENF-4R)
Hunchback (HBK-4G, HBK-4P)
Trebuchet (TBT-5N)
Griffin (GRF-1N, GRF-1S)
Kintaro (KTO-18)
Shadowhawk (SHD-2H, SHD-2D)
Wolverine (WVR-6R, WVR-6K)

HEAVY

Dragon (DRG-1N)
Quickdraw (QKD-4G, QKD-5A)
Catapult (CPLT-C1, CPLT-K2)
JagerMech (JM6-S, JM6-A)
Thunderbolt (TDR-5S, 5SE and 5SS)
Grasshopper (GHR-5H)
Orion (ON1-K, ON1-V)
Marauder
Warhammer
Cataphract (CTF-1X)
Black Knight - officially added to list

ASSAULT

Awesome (AWS-8Q, AWS-8T)
Victor (VTR-9B, VTR-9S)
Zeus (ZEU-6S)
BattleMaster (BLR-1G)
Stalker (STK-3F)
Highlander (HGN-733 and 733P)
Banshee (BNC-3E and 3M)
King Crab (KGC-0000)
Atlas (AS7-D)

Here's a very, very exhaustive spreadsheet of all the Mechs available. Including Speed, Melee damage, hardpoint layouts and thanks to our very own Gwaihir prices for Skirmish mode. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cxms21xRmnb1WhbNDSowoKwl7zeDQMbVoPWQMH-pI3Q/edit#gid=0

There's a thread for the tournament now, and prizes!

There's also a wiki that provides information and tips on modding the game. http://btmodding.warriorsblood.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Moderator and thread title ruiner sebmojo posted a handy little tweak for the game.

sebmojo posted:

Remove pause tweak

The pointless delays between things was put in on purpose by the developers (god knows why), but it’s a 30 second fix to remove. It both speeds up the game massively and makes for a smoother experience:

– Go to:
Steam folder\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\constants

– Change the following lines in “audioconstants.json” so that they look like this:

“AttackPreFireDuration” : 0,
“AttackAfterFireDelay” : 0,
“AttackAfterFireDuration” : 0,
“AttackAfterCompletionDuration” : 0
“audioFadeDuration” : 0,

Debug speed tweak

Paste the text below into a text file, and save it with the .reg extension. Then double-click it. Use notepad or a text editor to avoid any problems.

Launch your mission and press Ctrl-LeftShift-minus sign combination. That's speed toggle.

code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH]
"last_debug_state_h176629417"=dword:00000001
Use at own risk, back up relevant files etc.
Check out Phrosphor's LP thread, he's using the Beta and MekHQ to piece together a sort of homebrew Mercenary campaign. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3848299

Q_res fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 31, 2019

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Thanks for the cool new OP. Maybe add in a link to that TRO a pubbie made. I would add a little caveat that not all the mechs in it are in the game though.

https://wlu.box.com/s/cl1sj07p0eccuozxg6ow4svr1kg6dhvx

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

New OP is cool and good, much like this game is looking to be.

I'm working my way through the second novella right now -- so far pretty average and enjoyable in an airport-fiction sense. Besides them only mentioning the words "Aurigan Reach" literally once so far though, I'm sorta not sure how this actually ties into the storyline of the game.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Digging the new OP. :hf:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Nice, I have been following this on and off for a while, no idea the Beta was so close.

Did they explain how are they going to avoid the "all heavies, all the time" problem? Tonnage limits? Gotta go fast missions? Credit crunch?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Fat Samurai posted:

Nice, I have been following this on and off for a while, no idea the Beta was so close.

Did they explain how are they going to avoid the "all heavies, all the time" problem? Tonnage limits? Gotta go fast missions? Credit crunch?

For single player it looks like a cost benefit thing. Keeping a heavy running will be more expensive than a light or medium. Lights and Mediums go before mediums in the initiative order, so you could get really badly outmaneuvered if you don't have actions earlier in the tern. You can bank the actions of earlier mechs to later turns so they could stall you out as well and force you to move out of position before they move their bigger mechs.

For multiplayer it looks like limits on how much you can spend to build your force will prevent all atlas lances and the like.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Fat Samurai posted:

Credit crunch. Also, better balancing - for example, ability to play support by using "sensor lock" to spot for the rest of your lance (AKA - Raven and Catapult).

Unrelated - does the new turn system reminds anyone of Heroes of might and magic, or it is just me?

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

No gifs showing off melee, 0/10 OP, rated 1 star :colbert:

When I'm not phone posting I can provide, assuming no-one beats me to it

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
New thread is a great idea, I'm gonna bring over my Cliffnotes History for the 1st Page.

BATTLETECH HISTORY
A Cliff Notes
by
Sky Shadowing

• Kearny and Fuchida, two Earth scientists, posit a way to travel FTL. They are ridiculed and demeaned for 'bad science' and thrown out of their professions.
  • GUESS WHAT? They were RIGHHTTTTT!
  • For a few hundred years the Terran Alliance colonizes a circle, centered around Earth (renamed like every scifi thing ever as 'Terra'), roughly 500- 600 radius (I think, the sources are inconsistent about 'radius' and 'diameter'). This is called the 'Inner Sphere', and is surrounded by the 'Periphery'.
  • Periphery and other realms get uppity. The Terran Alliance tries to win the fight. They lose, badly.
  • Those DIRTY STINKING LIBERALS take control of the Alliance Parliament from the Expansionists and grant independence to all planets beyond 30 lightyears from Earth... whether they like it or not.
  • After 70 years Earth's situation is still hosed, so it's overthrown and replaced by the Terran Hegemony by James McKenna, later ruled by the Cameron dynasty.
  • 5 significant nations coalesce from the independent colonies. Each is ruled and dominated by a single family, a Great House:
  • The Draconis Combine of House Kurita, inspired by Feudal/Imperial Japan. HONORABURU SAMURAI
  • The Federated Suns of House Davion, inspired by Western Europe and America to certain authors.
  • The Capellan Confederation of House Liao, inspired by China. Defining family trait: lunatics
  • Free Worlds League of House Marik, inspired by Byzantine Empire. Would be a powerhouse if not constantly at war with itself.
  • Lyran Commonwealth of House Steiner, inspired by Victorianera German states. Firm believer in 'sledgehammer'.
  • All 5 are still weak compared to the Hegemony.
  • Neo-Feudalism becomes the dominant system of government.
  • There are also a few minor states on the Periphery, the only one you need to know being the Rim Worlds Republic of House Amaris
  • Relevant to this game are the Taurian Concordat and the Magistracy of Canopus.
  • Age of War: everyone fights everyone.
  • Ares Conventions: poo poo hits the fan so everyone decides to develop rules of warfare to make war clean and safe. It backfires: all it does is make war acceptable, and people ignore it to their content, usually by stating they are ignoring it.
  • Eventually the Hegemony develops BattleMechs, which are piloted by MechWarriors, which everyone agrees are super rad and awesome and steals the tech, or buys them from people who stole it.
  • The Camerons convince all the other 5 Great Houses into joining up with the Star League, a sort of super UN with its own defense forces.
  • They invite the 4 major Periphery states to join. All politely decline. The Star League military (the Star League Defense Forces) informs them that the invitation was... not optional. (i.e. they invade and force them to join the Star League)
  • Things are kickin rad and great for everyone (at least compared to what comes later). Tech is booming, economies are great.
  • The Star League develops the HyperPulse Generator, which allows interstellar communication.
  • Simon Cameron dies. His 8 year old son Richard is named First Lord of the Star League. His regent is General Alexandr Kerensky of the SLDF.
  • Stefan Amaris of the Rim Worlds Republic manipulates Richard against everyone, making Richard believe Stefan is his only friend.
  • Periphery rebellions promptly keep Kerensky occupied and his forces occupied. Amaris convinces Richard to replace the departing SLDF forces with RWR troops. You can totally trust him.
  • Amaris promptly goes full Cersei Lannister and murders the entire Cameron dynasty, including Richard, and names himself Emperor.
  • The Great Houses are peeved but not enough to do anything about it.
  • Kerensky does something about it, declares himself 'Protector of the Star League', and uses his army to destroy Amaris's forces and executes Amaris.
  • The Five Great Houses meet. They strip Kerensky of his power, appoint Jerome Blake Star League Minister of Communications, and fail to decide the next First Lord. They dissolve the Star League.
  • Kerensky tells his forces "I'm out, wanna come with?" 80% go with. They head Coreward (North) and vanish, NEVER EVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN. FOR REALZ. He sends a last message pleading for the Inner Sphere to not bomb themselves into oblivion.
  • The Great Houses start bombing themselves to oblivion. Every one of them says 'hey, I know we disbanded the Star League, but I'm First Lord now.'
  • The Periphery are salty about that whole "invaded and forcibly joined to the Star League thing" (except for the RWR which was destroyed and mostly annexed by the Lyrans), especially since the Star League forcibly made the Periphery dependent on the League with luxuries like 'water' and 'food' and 'terraforming technology'.
  • Jerome Blake sees what's coming and uses some of the remaining SLDF forces to seize Terra. He informs the Great Houses that all Ministry of Communication(ComStar) facilities are strictly neutral. And if you gently caress with them they'll stop sending any of your mail. Zero interstellar communications is... a very bad thing.
  • First Succession War. 35 years of war. Borders change. Lots of people die because, as stated, TOTAL WAR.
  • ComStar adopts a religious aspect and CERTAINLY doesn't become EVIL, hoarding all advanced technology that has been 'lost' to the Successor States (the 5) so ComStar can save humanity later. Certainly NOT. (They do).
  • Kentares Massacre: with the Federated Suns on the verge of falling to the Draconis Combine, the Coordinator Minoru Kurita travels to Kentares IV to oversee operations. He gets sniped and killed. His loose-cannon son arrives and orders the military to "kill them all". When they ask "what do you mean" he kills the inquiring soldier and repeats the order. 60+ million citizens brutally murdered. BACKFIRES SPECTACULARLY- completely demoralizes the DC while hardening the spirit of the FS. A big reason why the FedSuns ABSOLUTELY HATE the Dracs.
  • 9 years of peace.
  • SECOND Succession War. Lots more people die. Borders change further. TOTAL WAR. 34 years.
  • During said war House Marik fucks with ComStar (who certainly did not manipulate the FWL in any way to join in the fun of the War, no siree), who Interdict them (shut down the mail) in response. The FWL eventually meet's ComStar's demands so the interdiction can be lifted, mostly because the interdiction had made there about to no longer be a FWL.
  • 2 years of peace.
  • THIRD Succession War begins. Everyone knows that they're hosed if they keep Total War. JumpShips (the ones that travel FTL) become literally unthinkable to destroy, since people forgot how they work and only have a few automated factories that keep making them. 129 YEARS.
  • 3005 A mysterious and huge Merc outfit named Wolf's Dragoons appear and start whoring themselves out to each Successor State in turn. Their leaders are Joshua and Jaime Wolf. Joshua Wolf's lover is the Black Widow, Natasha Kerensky. They most assuredly ARE NOT a scouting force for the RETURN OF KERENSKY'S ARMY as a Warrior Society calling themselves THE CLANS.
  • 3025: Third Succession War ends. Hanse Davion of the FS and Katrina Steiner of the LC make a deal to ally and marry Katrina's daughter Melissa to a man 27 years older than her (feudalism, everyone). (Federated Commonwealth)
  • The other 3 Successor States 'ally' themselves because the FS and LC could kick their shits in. (Concord of Kapetyn)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Aurigan coalition? Endless mode confirmed!

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

OP good

excited to shoot a stompy robert

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

3025: Third Succession War ends. Hanse Davion of the FS and Katrina Steiner of the LC make a deal to ally and marry Katrina's daughter Melissa to a man 27 years older than her (feudalism, everyone). (Federated Commonwealth)

It's been ages since I played it, this is relevant to Mechwarrior 4, right? I liked Mechcommander too so I'd be pretty interested in this! I'm going to have a lance of lovely urbanmechs.

Also I had a battletech mech book when I was a kid and had no clue what it was or that it was a game, and didn't figure it out until after finding it again a few years ago and realizing that some of the same mechs in Mechcommander and Mechwarrior were in it and putting two and two together. :v:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

RBA Starblade posted:

It's been ages since I played it, this is relevant to Mechwarrior 4, right? I liked Mechcommander too so I'd be pretty interested in this! I'm going to have a lance of lovely urbanmechs.

Also I had a battletech mech book when I was a kid and had no clue what it was or that it was a game, and didn't figure it out until after finding it again a few years ago and realizing that some of the same mechs in Mechcommander and Mechwarrior were in it and putting two and two together. :v:

Not directly. Hanse and Melissa's daughter, Katherine Steiner-Davion later changes her name to Katrina Steiner to evoke the people's feel-good nostalgia for her grandmother when she's stealing the FedCom from her brother Victor, He Who Goons Hate.

That ties into the Mercs expansion for MW4, where the player has to choose sides in the civil war between Victor and Katrina.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Beta is definitely a good time for a new thread. I'm excited to see how the game actually plays.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't got much interest in Battletech (But I hear the lore's pretty fun), but I'm still likely gonna get this just because of Harebrained's good track record.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

ChickenWing posted:

OP good

excited to shoot a stompy robert

same

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Going to sell the super dropship with docking collars so I can afford to run an Assault mech in a mission. Can't wait.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Yo OP, maybe should also link to PTN's Battletech LP thread because it's a goddamn masterpiece of the setting.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

No Madcat. 0/10

This looks awesome, on a serious note.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

May I suggest a link to the Discord server in the OP? If the Discord Server admin is alright with that, I guess?

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

The 1st needs to get here faster! drat you time!

I just want to run a lance full of Battlemasters, I don't know how I'll afford it, but I will find a way!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Paingod556 posted:

No gifs showing off melee, 0/10 OP, rated 1 star :colbert:

When I'm not phone posting I can provide, assuming no-one beats me to it

Don't worry, I've got you covered:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

OP updated, added a link to buy into the Beta and to PTN's LP of Battletech tabletop. Also added the melee gifs and filled out the 2nd post with some Beta-specific information.

edit: Also added a little bit that we know of Pilot Skills.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 24, 2017

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Waffle House posted:

No Madcat. 0/10

The madcat is a poor man's marauder anyway.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
And I base this solely on aesthetics.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ditty bout my clitty posted:

And I base this solely on aesthetics.

Confirmed

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

kingcom posted:

Confirmed

3002. A DCMS Marauder driving back the honorless AFFS Valkyrie scum.

Colorised.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I have always hated how the Marauder looks and I'm glad that particular version of it no longer exists as far as BattleTech is concerned.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Strobe posted:

I have always hated how the Marauder looks and I'm glad that particular version of it no longer exists as far as BattleTech is concerned.

You disgust me Strobe, good in the x-wing thread, bad in the battletech thread :(

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I really like the new Marauder, though I think I am in the minority as there is a lot of nostalgia playing into that.

The first Gray Death Legion book is pretty meh, but the intro with Carson watching his dad defend the spaceport in his Marauder was a really cool scene.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

kingcom posted:

You disgust me Strobe, good in the x-wing thread, bad in the battletech thread :(

The new version of the Marauder is actually good, but nothing will ever eclipse the new Warhammer and Battlemaster, which are magnificent killing machines.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I prefer the old Marauder to the new one. New one looks like the Queen Alien from Aliens's head with loving egs attached to it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Just so we're all on the same page, I mean this one, which is cool and good, and not this hideous beast.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

Just so we're all on the same page, I mean this one, which is cool and good, and not this hideous beast.

I was specifically talking about the Zentradi officer pod myself. It's just an iconic design for both franchises to me at this point.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Strobe posted:

Isn't the second one the Marauder IIC or something? Idk. I thought you were talking about the original Marauder like in the gif. That and the new marauder in your first link are both good and cool.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I am legit excited for this, looking forward to next weekend.

I want to try all the old mwo goon favorites and see how they fair. Have we heard if they are bending the rules regarding the Raven? The basic version is pretty trash from what I hear and it really needs the proper ECM package to be a good robit.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The second link is the Project Phoenix (3060s) Marauder.

I also dislike the Marauder in the gif.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Phrosphor posted:

I am legit excited for this, looking forward to next weekend.

I want to try all the old mwo goon favorites and see how they fair. Have we heard if they are bending the rules regarding the Raven? The basic version is pretty trash from what I hear and it really needs the proper ECM package to be a good robit.

We're getting the 1X. So it'll have the 7.5 ton E.W.E (ghetto ECM/BAP)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Will never not be cool.