Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I don't see Poirot effortlessly unbending iron fire pokers.

Also Jeremy Brett's Sherlock and Peter Falk's Columbo are better TV detectives than some fat frog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Jeremy Brett was a gorgeous man. And a good actor, unlike Bobbert the Younger and Binefrid Colmersby.

The OG was Poe's Dupin.

Jim Barris posted:

That's the wrong century holmes

:golfclap:

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I haven't seen Poirot, I've seen all of Sherlock.

Poirot is probably way better.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I would have thought Nero Wolfe more to goon liking.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Didn't need a male helper/lover to hang around his every narcissistic word.

Hastings. Also Poirot is vain as hell, but he backs it up.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I don't read because I'm a millennial, but I watched a few seasons of the show on Netflix. Only real complaint is that Hastings is the sort of companion who's so dumb it's a miracle he can even dress himself in the morning, and only exists to be constantly amazed and impressed at how perfect Poirot is at everything. In the show at least.

His long suffering secretary that occasionally doubles as a badass spy is pretty cool though.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

...and the pitch! posted:

I would have thought Nero Wolfe more to goon liking.

Seriously y'all Nero Wolfe is a fat incel shut in who solves crimes without ever leaving his house.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

WatermelonGun posted:

Seriously y'all Nero Wolfe is a fat incel shut in who solves crimes without ever leaving his house.

He's more of a jughead than an incel

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Both are cool and good detectives OP.

That being said Poirot doesn't have the same ruthless streak that makes Holmes the OG. Poirot would never let somebody get away with murder because the victim deserved it (Charles Augustus Milverton), or straight up murder a guy by throwing him off a cliff (Moriarty).

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I don't see Poirot effortlessly unbending iron fire pokers.

Also Jeremy Brett's Sherlock and Peter Falk's Columbo are better TV detectives than some fat frog

Colombo was a great detective, but none of his cases would ever stand up in a court as they were all based on conjecture and sloppy forensics.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

jazzyhattrick posted:

Both are cool and good detectives OP.

That being said Poirot doesn't have the same ruthless streak that makes Holmes the OG. Poirot would never let somebody get away with murder because the victim deserved it (Charles Augustus Milverton), or straight up murder a guy by throwing him off a cliff (Moriarty).

Poirot let an even dozen people get away with the same murder.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I don't read because I'm a millennial, but I watched a few seasons of the show on Netflix. Only real complaint is that Hastings is the sort of companion who's so dumb it's a miracle he can even dress himself in the morning, and only exists to be constantly amazed and impressed at how perfect Poirot is at everything. In the show at least.

Heh, I had the same thought watching the series. He seems to exist to just go "durrrr" and polish his car. It's almost a parody of Watsons, or how Watson used to be depicted all the time until the 80s.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kuato posted:

I've never seen Poirot, or read it. In fact I don't read at all because I'm not a loving god drat idiot nerd reject like C.F.C. I'm too busy having the secks with beautiful women (models!) to get anything done. Kind of a burden really.

same

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gleebster posted:

Poirot let an even dozen people get away with the same murder.

How the gently caress did I forget about the orient express?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
poirot had lived his life based on never letting anyone get away with murder, and compromising so that a truly justified revenge killing went unpunished all but broke him. that movie was really dang good.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
sherlock would beat up poirot

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

yo mamma a Horus posted:

sherlock would beat up poirot

just about anyone could, including miss marple. poirot was effectively a werepenguin.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Poirot would solve the case and put Sherlock in jail.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Sherlock is an autistic goon, hence the gbs popularity

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Columbo would annoy Sherlock and Poirot into committing a crime and solidify his place as the greatest detective.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
true, columbo was better at manipulating people than poirot and sherlock combined. it was such a joy watching him drive some rich rear end in a top hat into a frothing, self-incriminating rage.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

The Kingfish posted:

Poirot would solve the case and put Sherlock in jail.

Sherlock had far too many friends in high places to get put away.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sherlock is a Mary Sue bad rear end bullshit character. Christie actively hated the poo poo out of Poirot, it's why he's a more interesting character.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ElGroucho posted:

Sherlock is a Mary Sue bad rear end bullshit character. Christie actively hated the poo poo out of Poirot, it's why he's a more interesting character.

Mary Sues tend not to be self destructive drug addicts whose only only 2 friends are their roommate and their landlady.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

jazzyhattrick posted:

Mary Sues tend not to be self destructive drug addicts whose only only 2 friends are their roommate and their landlady.

Never heard of an anti-hero, I take it? What about his ninja skills, Bruce Lee combat skills, and monstrous strength? All that's missing is some Navy Seal bullshit.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ElGroucho posted:

Never heard of an anti-hero, I take it? What about his ninja skills, Bruce Lee combat skills, and monstrous strength? All that's missing is some Navy Seal bullshit.

Being a cool guy doesn't make you a Mary Sue.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ElGroucho posted:

What ninja skills? He used a martial arts move to chuck a bloke off a waterfall in one story, you never see him beating up 20 guys at once or anything like that. I think you're confusing the books with the Robert Downey Jr. movies.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Didn't need a male helper/lover to hang around his every narcissistic word.

I really must insist...

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

My favorite Sherlock story is The Adventure Of The Yellow Face, where a husband talks about mysterious circumstances involving his wife and Sherlock gets the conclusion that she's being blackmailed by her former husband who didn't die in that fire and turns out he's completely wrong about everything and there's absolutely nothing sinister going on...just black people! Then Watson's safe word is "Nobury" for when Sherlock gets to be too much.

Big Beef City posted:

I really must insist...

I loving loved it when Hastings jumped through a window to bail on Poirot and let him get arrested by the cops. "No point in me going to jail too old chap!"

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Frank Drebin, best detective.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Columbo is a god-tier detective along with Tim Curry in Clue. In this thread we're debating who wins the Mrs. Fletcher league.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

My favorite Sherlock story is The Adventure Of The Yellow Face, where a husband talks about mysterious circumstances involving his wife and Sherlock gets the conclusion that she's being blackmailed by her former husband who didn't die in that fire and turns out he's completely wrong about everything and there's absolutely nothing sinister going on...just black people! Then Watson's safe word is "Nobury" for when Sherlock gets to be too much.

I loving loved it when Hastings jumped through a window to bail on Poirot and let him get arrested by the cops. "No point in me going to jail too old chap!"

LOL, good poo poo

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You'd think after a while people would think "poo poo they put Poirot/Holmes/Columbo on my case and that guy never loses, they already know I'm guilty, I may as well just admit it."

I mean the police force assigning these guys may as well not even bother, if they're putting these detectives on the case it may as well be closed already.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Colombo isn't just observant and intelligent he is also a master manipulator of people to a greater then extent then poirot ever could be. Colombo also is an actual police officer instead of a 'private detective' like all these other amateurs.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

WatermelonGun posted:

The author Rex Stout

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
The best incarnation of Sherlock Holmes was Gregory House

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
lmao, look at you guys who haven't heard of Jonathan Creek.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Frank and Joe Hardy, best detectives? I say yes.
They had an adventure van.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I enjoyed the robert downey jr Sherlock movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc