Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the books are good, the tv movies are good. gently caress yeah, poirot.

however, the absolute best poirot is when the tv movies were adaptations of books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Duh Ugh posted:

Nthing Poirot for best detective. Buuuuutttt, Miss Marple the superior Agatha Cristie character. Just something appealing about a nosy old lady.

marple has two layers. on the surface is the vaguely insulting idea that rural english villages are microcosms of society and by being a gossipy old biddy you will learn all there is to know about human nature. but underneath, there is the part the character never admits to- marple is just bullshitting and all of the comparisons to some yokel or another are camouflage for her keen analytical mind. she poses as an impossibly quaint idiot savant because that is the only acceptable way for her to apply her talents in that society. christie used a similar idea with poirot, where he was playing up his foreignness so that the stuffy and incredibly racist brits he investigated would underestimate him.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it makes me lol that arthur conan doyle was actually the most gullible motherfucker to ever live, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i do not like the blatant agatha christie stand-in character from the tv movies. it's just so masturbatory.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hastings wasn't really poirot's equal, but he was an excellent assistant.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
poirot had lived his life based on never letting anyone get away with murder, and compromising so that a truly justified revenge killing went unpunished all but broke him. that movie was really dang good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

yo mamma a Horus posted:

sherlock would beat up poirot

just about anyone could, including miss marple. poirot was effectively a werepenguin.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
true, columbo was better at manipulating people than poirot and sherlock combined. it was such a joy watching him drive some rich rear end in a top hat into a frothing, self-incriminating rage.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

fish and chips and dip posted:

I tried watching Poirot when I was like 9 and found it boring. I've recently read most of the Sherlock books and enjoyed that, so maybe I should give Poirot a chance again, yes or no?

Also, Columbo is cool and good.

there is like nothing in the poirot movies to appeal to any child. lots and lots of talking and even the car chases are really slow and low tension.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
why is poirot a cowboy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
uggghhhhhhh

• Locked thread