Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Poirot: "for you see, a one armed left hander could never have shot the bishop; at 3:15, the clocks hand covers the left portion of the sniper nest!"

Sherlock, same mystery: "first, I found samples of the victim's stool. I tasted a hint of Giorgio Salvalri almonds, which of course we all know can only be found in the Po valley of upper Italy..." ad infinitum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Also, Columbo is the best

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sherlock is an autistic goon, hence the gbs popularity

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sherlock is a Mary Sue bad rear end bullshit character. Christie actively hated the poo poo out of Poirot, it's why he's a more interesting character.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

jazzyhattrick posted:

Mary Sues tend not to be self destructive drug addicts whose only only 2 friends are their roommate and their landlady.

Never heard of an anti-hero, I take it? What about his ninja skills, Bruce Lee combat skills, and monstrous strength? All that's missing is some Navy Seal bullshit.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

My favorite Sherlock story is The Adventure Of The Yellow Face, where a husband talks about mysterious circumstances involving his wife and Sherlock gets the conclusion that she's being blackmailed by her former husband who didn't die in that fire and turns out he's completely wrong about everything and there's absolutely nothing sinister going on...just black people! Then Watson's safe word is "Nobury" for when Sherlock gets to be too much.

I loving loved it when Hastings jumped through a window to bail on Poirot and let him get arrested by the cops. "No point in me going to jail too old chap!"

LOL, good poo poo

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Straight White Shark posted:

In the earlier stories there is some vague pretense of Holmes not being a magic superhero wizard (like the idiot-savant characterization that was introduced in the first story and then immediately dropped) and they're generally a lot better for it. After the Holmes stories became famous and successful they got super lazy and terrible.

It's too bad, he's a fun character, but eventually he turns in to Batman with a violin and omniscience.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm going to see the gently caress out of that movie, amigos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hogge Wild posted: