Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It'd be nice to have a few different factions with actually differing objectives to support for various reasons. They did this really lazily in Farcry 4 but I'd like to see an open-world game that reflects your impact on the power dynamics of the region (besides just conquering it)
Technically Fallout: New Vegas does this, but not to a great degree. It mostly just changes who is going to shoot you on sight.

Fartbox posted:

Half-Life went from soldiers and aliens exploding into bits of gorey limbs and skulls to ragdolls in Half-Life 2 with zero limb damage and only minor blood splatter when you shot up guys. I dunno if it was because media was constantly attacking games for being "too violent" at the time so the entire industry kind of chilled out or if it was more about technology, like maybe it was real hard to make gore work with the brand new physics stuff and ragdolls that were introduced about a decade ago
Half-Life 2 was a highly anticipated franchise game and was the flagship release for both The Source Engine and Steam. They were keeping things as family-friendly as possible while still being about shootymans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it was a game like 100% about physics tossing poo poo around and ragdolls were more tossable than gibs, i don't think "family friendly" was the major consideration in a game that has you go cutting skinless bug head dudes in half with giant sawblades
Point
Deep. Meaningful. Narrative.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That was more to Bioshock fans

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

gonna shoot a bunch of fascist neo-nazis. Can't wait
:same: I don't even like Farcry but this is like catnip.

• Locked thread