Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
its weird that its in montana even though the first thing i think of when i look at that is 'hillbillies' and there aren't any hillbillies in montana. thats an apalachia thing. but i get why they wouldn't do it because they cant plaster confederate flags everywhere because thats the only level that the far cry level designers are capable of operating on

also its weird that hillbillies are the bad guys now. i mean its not like deliverance isn't a major part of pop culture but at the same time the antagonists in the far cry games i can remember are : Dubious Paramilitary Company, African Warlords, Definitely Not Somalian Pirates, Hillbillies

i know its probably just aping resident evil but idk

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Bombadilillo posted:

Its almost as if the protagonist you play isn't a good guy. Like, that's the point. Its not some "Nathan drake is a mass murderer and that clashes with the plot" thing
The plot is that who YOU are is capable of whats bolded in your stuff. That IS the point.

This is a convenient reading of the game that ultimately wasn't what they were going for hth

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Have you heard of death of the author?

FYI it means when gamers send death threats to a game dev because the frame rate gets kind of fucky sometimes

death of the author is ultimately a lame postmodernist copout that lets ideologically minded jerkoffs separate their work from the context of the reality it was authored in and makes it vastly easier to sniff your own farts. it's not like its a bad concept, authorial intent is't always what a work ends up depicting, but its bred this acceptable attitude of ignorant agnosticism of the artist which usually ends up just being abused in fallacious arguments like this one where people jump up and say the dissonance between the story and gameplay is the whole point of the game when in actuality its just an artefact of the game trying to be six things at once and developed by a studio with a high turnover rate on a max time crunch attempting to re-bake the half cooked game concept that got dumpstered

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Far cry 3 is prob one of the worst games I've ever played so i haven't played any of the other ones. I'm sure this new one is surely going to be the one that makes a memorable impact on people

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i dont remember what mafia game i played but it was open world for some reason even though they clearly hadn't spent much time on the free roam so there was basically nothing to do except storyline missions and it was really fuckin bad

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

lol this is what bioshock infinite wanted to do and they're gonna do it better without even trying

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Scyantific posted:

lol you're putting faith in ubisoft to not poo poo this up somehow

no its gonna be a really really lovely game but its going to effortlessly nail the religious undertones that bioshock tried to aim for in the 3 or so scripted storyline sequences this game contains, and unilaterally get 10/10 goty even though its going to use the same engine and gameplay code from the last 4 far cry games and be basically identical

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

big nipples big life posted:

Ubisoft is really good at making Ubisoft games, if you like to clean all the icons off a huge map then you will probably enjoy most everything they've made since 2008. If that sounds like the worst poo poo ever then you will not.

the core problem with ubisoft games is the icons, it removes the suspense and uncertainty from the game world and im sorry i don't play games to be bombarded with a visually overwhelming but ultimately mindless stream of stimuli, i like suspense and uncertainty. like far cry 3 might even be a good game if they didn't literally point out every wild animal in a 15 mile radius of dense jungle with giant neon arrows and expect you to find them threatening

like they run counter to what you would expect the design goals of these games to be and the fact that its a repeated thing they do in every game betrays the fact that they have no interest in making game design decisions based on gameplay, they just churn out games to a design specification

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
they heavily rely on collectibles which are just straight up a bad gameplay system

collecting things isnt bad, but getting rewarded based on how many identical tasks you have repeated is the worst poo poo ever. you must collect 5/15 blow up sex toy dolls before you may access this content, which is also a collectible fetch quest with rewards on half/third completion. its like world of warcraft except without the long term 'im gonna be max level someday' skinner box that compels people to play except with even more bread crumbs and even less abstract player choice in where they can make numbers go up

its basically a game that tells you exactly how to play it and in what order to play it and whats the point of playing a video game like that

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
ever since it stopped being a technical hurdle that required a dedicated team to achieve "open world" gameplay has become something developers use to cover up lazy game design or glaring issues in the gameplay loop

like ever since console hardware got to the 360 it was no longer an issue and its why you saw so many really lazily designed open world games like mafia, mercenaries 2, crackdown, that purely operate on the novelty of being an open world game which no longer holds much water in 2017

mercenaries 1 is basically far cry 3 except with far less poo poo to do, except its a better open world game because you have a sense of purpose and a clear sense of progression

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
the best part about this game is how its going to be a very thin, shallow re-creation of the e3 demo of this game and have little if nothing shown during that demo in the final retail product

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Fartbox posted:

But I think monstrous enemies and weird stuff would be fun nowadays. It's boring to shoot mercs all the time

Give me fuckin aliens and the monster from Predator hunting the jungles

the parts of crysis where you were shooting Korean soldiers with exoskeletons was basically that but it comes right before the alien reveal which is where the game turns sharply downhill very quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
that's what watch dogs was probably going for before they rushed that poo poo out the door before any QC passes

• Locked thread