Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Flubby posted:

I'm pretty sure Bioshock Infinite did take a stance. I had to look up the quote that was at the center of the kerfuffle when the game first came out. When the oppressed minorities fought back and started killing people Booker and Elizabeth stop Fitzroy (leader of the resistance) from killing a white child. After Elizabeth says, "In the end the only difference between Fitzroy and Comstock is how you spell their name." So yeah, the game definitely had an opinion on how you were supposed to feel about it. Both sides were portrayed as bad. At least through the eyes of the protagonists. Take it however you want.

yeah in the original ideas/demos. you were supposed to see the vox go full san culottes on columbia and just execute everyone/show trials and they were neutral towards you, and it would be up to you if you wanted to intervene. they cut all of that because it needed to be a loving cod clone with more "depth". instead its them shooting cops and soldiers. which you have done the whole loving game. i get why levine tried to do but holy gently caress he did it stupidly.

anyway. far cry 5 looks cool enough. its pissing off right wing dicks and woke liberals(just like 4 did) so its good in my books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Dennis System posted:

Why is far cry 5 pissing off woke liberals? The prospect of getting to virtually kill hundreds of white redneck "nazis" is a woke liberal's wet dream.

violence and poo poo mostly.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/24/15685670/far-cry-5-setting-art-e3-2017-ubisoft

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/867854636518166528

moralists dips are gonna whine no matter what.

anyway. the game is more about fighting FLDS/branch davidian/christian ISIS mixed with prepper militias more then alt right dickheads. honestly looks more interesting.

Kopijeger posted:

You may be thinking of Darkest of Days, the game where you play as a soldier snatched (through time travel) from the Battle of Little Big Horn shortly before the Indians would have killed you and wind up fighting in the US Civil War, WWI's Eastern Front (where tanks drive around years ahead of time and Imperial Russian soldiers wear Soviet medals and shout "Death to the occupiers" while being on German territory) and, indeed, one level set in Pompeii while Vesuvius is erupting where you are free to gun down all the fleeing resident because they will die anyway.

the game is fun bad. the ww1 germans have swastikas on their uniforms and the blimp level is broken but using a lock on machine gun and flame thrower on confederates never gets old.

Fried Watermelon posted:

The real message of Bioshock Infinite is that there are an Infinite amount of universes where every possible scenario has happened so nothing you really did mattered at all because there was another universe where the opposite choice you made happened.

pretty much. i like alot of the ideas of infinite but it basically got remade like 4 times apparently and it loving shows.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I could see this working so far back as the '90's. Like, with cell phones and Facebook there's no way you could have a clandestine takeover of a county by religious extremists, the viral video would tank it all. But before then, if you had key members of the county authority: Sheriff, all of the commissioners, probably the biggest city's chief of police and his whole retinue, and most of the mayors or town council leaders, then sure, you could kind of quietly over time assert this power and start vanishing people from view without much hubbub.

Problem is gonna be when you have helicopters shooting missiles around Buckwheat County Montana, in a contemporary setting with smart phones, you're gonna beggar belief.

maybe. i kinda view it like, there are tons of areas controlled by hardliner churchs/cults. lookd at the FLDS, they control entire towns and counties. and the conservative reps who are elected by them turn a blind eye to what they do and the ATF/FBI treads realy lightly these days ever since ruby ridge and WACO. yeah they arnt this open about it. but looks at the bundy fuckheads and how they just got repeated slaps on the wrists for taking over places and threatning violence.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Maya Fey posted:

jonathan mcintosh's shtick is to react to every single game that gets attention and cry about it. if tetris came out today he's be whining about the destructive power of the phallic 4x1 as it penetrates rows of pieces to erase them

he has actualy been actually left leaning of late but then Red dead 2 got pushed back and he bitched about how awful and evil rockstar was and he got a ton of positive attention for making a meh tropes video. and plante the verge author is loving dumbasshole.

Bombadilillo posted:

yeah.

The series started with Island of Dr Munroe monsters with rocket launchers strapped to them. Literally.

2 got serious.

3 was frat boy becomes batman

4 was batman with helicopters

Blood dragon happened.

There was 1 point where things got sort of realistic or close to believable. Why do people expect this series to do things it doesn't do?

weirdly enough they all have weird "depth" to them, cept 1.

2 is a depressing game about people loving a dying central African country to death. all your missions are basically damaging or destroying any remaining infrastructure, like water purification, food stuffs, oil prediction, train yards. all the factions are basically just dickhead ex government officials armed with mercs who are basically killing each other over scraps. everyone you know is monster and then everyone dies.

3 is about a dumb douchebag who is gaslighted into thinking he is some magical savior by a bunch of natives who are using him as a expendable soldier and jizzbank for some crazy priestess whos brother(also possible lover) went nuts because of drugs and now runs a native gang who work as violent henchmen for some dickhead crime boss.

4 is some kid going back to his nepalese home and seeing it in a civil war where the dictator in charge might be the best person there. the rebels are either hindu fundamentalists who want to gently caress kids and have purity laws or woke revolutionaries who want the main economy to be drug cartels. also your dad was backwards dickfuck.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nigga crab pollock posted:

the core problem with ubisoft games is the icons, it removes the suspense and uncertainty from the game world and im sorry i don't play games to be bombarded with a visually overwhelming but ultimately mindless stream of stimuli, i like suspense and uncertainty. like far cry 3 might even be a good game if they didn't literally point out every wild animal in a 15 mile radius of dense jungle with giant neon arrows and expect you to find them threatening

like they run counter to what you would expect the design goals of these games to be and the fact that its a repeated thing they do in every game betrays the fact that they have no interest in making game design decisions based on gameplay, they just churn out games to a design specification

my issue is they can never fully pull off a "Dynamic world". far cry games do it pretty well, as do some of the rear end creed games. honestly primal felt the most dynamic. you could spark fights and sneak up and gently caress up entire camps. like once i snuck up a cave man railing his wife in camp and smahed his skull in mid loving, she of course screams and and starts running toward a group of other cavemen, and i use a fire arrow on her and she sets the village alite. it was fun.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Earwicker posted:

ive been playing a lot of ghost recon wildlands which is basically a ubisoft/far cry style game without any crafting and a weird coop mode added in, and its the same thing where the game is much better if you just turn off the hud/icons etc.

this. its fun. i wish the missions had more variety but its fun getting into massive fire fights with cartel dipshits. and just wasting entire outposts. that said i wish the game had more dynamic events and patrols.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

EorayMel posted:

I know in my heart shadow of mordor 2 is going to loving suck huge rear end :smith:

why. it looks like its improving on the right stuff, gameplay and the nemesis system. plus more gore.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Let us English posted:

NeoGaf's mad that they're a mixed race cult and not just white people.

pretty much. they were jerking off over it for the last 2 days, but now that going the christian/cult isis route. its all "well i dont think it looks that creative" and "those last 3 games were racist" though its still surprisingly positive.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fartbox posted:

New Order was good. Are they making a sequel? It did okay didn't it?

they will probaly announce at e3.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Wait, they are waving actual crosses around though, are they not Christians then?

That's dumb, it's Bioshock Infinite all over again. I'll admit, I'm also disappointed; if they wanted to make an interesting statement, having "bad people killing in Christ's name" as a premise would be something a lot of people can relate to.

But no, just shallow trappings to sell a game that's likely nothing more than a remake of the previous game.

they are a weird splinter extremest doomsday sect aka a christian ISIS type cult. its not going to be 19th century white ultranationalism like infinite tried to do.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fartbox posted:

Infinite implied that everyone was bad, including you, the protagonist

that's why you get drowned at the end too

everyone is poo poo

pretty much. i blame the game getting remade from the ground up like 5 times and cutting a ton of interesting poo poo and then forcing the various ideas and themes from all the builds in the final game that dont gel at all together. the vox were supposed to be anarchists/revolutionaries types and fitzroy was originally irish. then they decided it would fully be about race and tried to re do that but they kept half the old vox dialogue anyway, they were also neutral towards you in the beginning and didnt gently caress with you unless you hosed with them and they actually did bad stuff, like show trials and random murders, instead of shooting cops and soldiers. instead its just a weird COD type game thats all over the place with its themes and ideas. it has cool moments, like the house of heroes and parts of the beginning, but its all over the place and feels stitched together. poo poo just feels mashed together. like the not-klan hideout. its kinda just there. i read somewhere that was supposed to be its own level. but gently caress it just stick it in there.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

a bone to pick posted:

I'm just defending the first Halo, the story pretty much falls apart after the first one.

the only halo i ever liked was reach because it sorta made the Covenant menacing instead of not menacing at all.

turn off the TV posted:

When master chief blows up the halo factory (I think it's called the ark?) cortana turns not evil again and they fly off into the horizon on a spaceship, never to be seen again until the sequel where they're fighting more covenant but this time the halo is an inside out planet. I'm not sure if there are still flood. I think that there are robots. In Halo 5 there is a second master chief and he wants to kill the first master chief, who is apparently bad and not good.

yeah 4 and 5 suck rear end. the halo universe is a clusterfuck and 5 was boring and terrible so they arnt even bring 6 to e3.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fartbox posted:

Now you're just being a retard

I said there was a decline in gore and specifically listed the flagship FPS games of the era and they were largely gore free. Then you listed some niche third person games as examples that ye, there was still gore. Of course there was gore but there was a lot less of it than in the early days of FPS games where pretty much everything from Duke Nukem to Half Life to Doom was ultraviolence

depends on the game/franchise. far cry was never that gory for the most part, least gameplay wise. though primal was pretty gory.

Junk posted:

Postal 2 had pretty awesome gore, you could make people throw up and then cut off their heads as they were throwing up so their neck becomes this spout of vomit splattering everywhere, but especially after the expansion pack when you could hack off individual limbs while people were still alive, so you could reduce someone to a helpless torso writhing on the ground begging for mercy as you pee on them

i need to play that game again

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Studios might've toned it down when "mature" games started becoming mainstream. Doom let you hacksaw some Imps but back then it was still more of a niche, nerd thing.

maybe. asscreed is pretty gory. though syndicate was toned down.

Jack Trades posted:

Killing Floor 2 and Shadow Warrior 2.
Killing Floor 2 even has accurate physical simulation of flesh chunks wobbling around as they fly through the air, and blood spraying and pooling around.
Shadow Warrior 2 has dynamic dismemberment based on exact angle you hack enemies at. Kinda like Metal Gear Rising but way more gory.

i need to get those someday.

Jack Trades posted:

You didn't specify that it had to be FPS games.
Still as you can see, games with gore haven't disappeared anywhere after Soldier of Fortune.

gore seems to have moved to rpgs and action games/horror games. some fps have it but not as many as some would act.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

lol wtf.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nigga crab pollock posted:

the parts of crysis where you were shooting Korean soldiers with exoskeletons was basically that but it comes right before the alien reveal which is where the game turns sharply downhill very quickly

yeah. i wish enemies in games had more dynamic/realistic reactions. like in the asscreed games(least the ezio ones) if you were kicking rear end, alot of the chaff enemies would loving run away. same as shadow of mordor and sorta in the arkham games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Bulletstorm is a good and funny game

its pretty good. bought the remaster and it still holds up. i loving hate gearbox for publishing it though. they are loving poo poo eaters to the core and they know people hate them so they basicaly said they only way we could get a sequel from people can fly is if we bought the remaster or some poo poo. then they pasted duke nukem skin on and called it a day.

• Locked thread