Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

numberoneposter posted:

how are they going to explain away the mass murder of americans at the hands of the so called protagonist without the national guard or FBI showing up???

last minute revision to make the setting downtown Chicago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

CharlestonJew posted:

The crying Indian chief from those commercials will be your mentor. He'll teach you to tap into the 1/64th Cherokee blood you have in you to hunt and scalp rednecks

the third act twist comes during a hallucination when you realize the Cherokee princess was probably really a black girl, *jungle music plays, the player's bow and arrow transform into a righteous spear*

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

a bone to pick posted:

Idk why they keep making these dumb games when they peaked with Far Cry: Blood Dragon

new ideas are incredibly illegal in AAA games and Hollywood movies

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Elukka posted:

It's sold mainly to westerners and it's easy for us to accept Random Fictional African Country or Random Fictional Asian Country and while you might be able to swing a fictional state it would be pretty jarring to have it set in Not-US.

I'm p sure the main guys developing and focus-grouping Far Crys are a million times more likely to have the vaguest idea what Tibet or "Africa" are actually like than they are Montana

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Kopijeger posted:

Come to think of it, the only way the premise could possibly work (armed cult kidnaps unwilling citizens from US town, does not get supressed by FBI/National Guard in return) is if society has already broken down to the extent that there is no state or federal authority ready to intervene.

That's already just Tuesday in Utah brah

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

fishing with the fam posted:

It's already violent wish fulfillment. I say lean into it. Your character falls into a time warp along with a truck fully stocked with military grade small arms. You land in colonial New England. Time to gently caress up King George's poo poo.

wasn't this that game about Pompeii or something that sucked rear end

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Seems like they'd be better off just going back in time 50-150 years during the colonial heyday and setting games in that period. Sure it would encroach on Assassin's Creed and its dumb poo poo but would probably fit the whole "human beings become savage in exotic and extreme situations" things a lot better if you were a Belgian mercenary in the Congo Free State or some British twerp in Afghanistan during the Opium Wars or whatever.

uh that poo poo literally all still happens in the modern day my dude, they're just getting further and further away from 'realistic' settings because actual massacres are depressing and everyone's seen it

nobody blinked when Far Cry was about African bush wars cause it was just a sanitized-for-tv version of the news with less out-there psychopaths than General Butt Naked or Bob Denard

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 26, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

id be down for a game based on 1632 if it was like some squad-based thing or a strategy game instead of a COD/Far Cry-style manshoot

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

there was literally a whole thing right around when this game started getting developed where Montana hillbillies were strutting around with ARs on national TV drawing down on feds and the government went to enormous pains to not do poo poo about it or upset them in any way even after they'd literally started occupying territory and drawing loonies from all over the country by preaching violent revolution against the illegitimate government that wouldn't let them steal poo poo and start forest fires.

if the Bundies had bothered get one of their weird hick clan in the sheriff's office or something they'd be running a few counties right now.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 26, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Maya Fey posted:

they make the same game over and over and it's all the same tedious open world busywork poo poo with mediocre and repetitive gameplay. at this stage i wonder if it's even worth it, people actually cry when games are too long now so they might be better off working on well designed discrete levels rather than making giant empty open worlds to do 600 identical fetch quests in

people don't play the game for 600 hours but they loving love hearing that they're getting 600 hours of entertainment for their 60 bucks

also the hottest new fad sweeping the nation is a little stick on a ball bearing that you can spin, and people pay hundreds of dollars for them

the 'well designed discrete levels' thing is what the absolute bottom-budget one-man-operation tier of indie games trades in because it is impossible to make money doing it, and the AAA devs are probably just putting more effort than they need to into making the collection/fetch bullshit not literally the same thing 600 times

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 26, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Maya Fey posted:

i don't think that's true, DOOM's success (which was really out of nowhere) was all level design and tight, controlled gameplay. the reception of games like Mirror's Edge Catalyst and MGSV (both of which made the transition from levels to open world) shows that people are getting sick of it imho

Looks to me like it's done pretty much the same as, slightly worse than DOOM 3? Something called DOOM doing pretty well is about as unprecedented as something called Grand Theft Auto making a few bucks, I don't know that that and an infamously poorly managed game that's literally missing its last third because the company that made it wanted to be making pachinko games instead represent much of an open-world backlash, I wasn't claiming that it was impossible for any open-world game to do poorly under any circumstances.

Mordja posted:

Actually most indie games trade in bland procedural generation these days.

the ones that AREN'T Minecraft knockoffs. all three of them

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Maya Fey posted:

i'm not sure this site is accurate, there's an estimated 1.7M doom owners on steam alone and it only shows 0.3M for PC. does it only track physical? in any case i'm talking about the reception of those games, doom got excellent reviews and word of mouth despite everything about it looking like poo poo during development and both mgsv/me2 were criticized for the usual "open world with nothing in it" poo poo plaguing AAA releases.

maybe? idk. Reddit is trying to claim it sold 3 mil :shrug:

I don't really think reviewers drive the industry for AAA titles, though. They're a bonus but they sure as poo poo aren't a major concern for, like, Marvel movies and stuff and those are getting reviewed by guys who don't spend all day vociferously hashing out Gamergate on Twitter. It may be that people are getting tired of the open world fad but Ubi isn't going to stop making Far Cry 3 clones until they stop being profitable, and that's a long way off. And like that other dude pointed out, procedural generation and poo poo have been a major thing all over the games industry for like over a decade now because people absolutely buy based on the quantity of stuff you say you have in your game.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 26, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

sorry I don't know all the hottest scuttlebutt on bideogame statistics websites and just googled up some numbers I guess

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Strudel Man posted:

What was the reveal?

they revealed that Call of Duty sucks

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

Technically Fallout: New Vegas does this, but not to a great degree. It mostly just changes who is going to shoot you on sight.

Half-Life 2 was a highly anticipated franchise game and was the flagship release for both The Source Engine and Steam. They were keeping things as family-friendly as possible while still being about shootymans

it was a game like 100% about physics tossing poo poo around and ragdolls were more tossable than gibs, i don't think "family friendly" was the major consideration in a game that has you go cutting skinless bug head dudes in half with giant sawblades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Fartbox posted:

In the soldier of fortune game I played I could cut people up into little pieces with my knoife. I didn't play many other shooters at the time that were so focused on gore and i dont recall many others getting as much flak for it as SoF either

ok now it just sounds like you're mad games don't more explicitly cater to your fetish

• Locked thread