Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

fc2 was the only good far cry game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

there's already a game where you kill trump supporters, and it's called Call of Duty: World at War

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Cletus MacRacist: remember... no russian

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

with how insanely lovely the writing is in those games i can't wait to see how heavy handed they can make this

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

numberoneposter posted:

The protagonist should be that hot trans elf from that nintendo game.

link?

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

a Far Cry... from a good game!

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Strudel Man posted:

It's silly to fret about what other people enjoy pretending in their games.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

who gives a poo poo what "gaming journalists" say

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

EvilJoven posted:

Which far cry was the far cry that was supposed to be all OMG open world but aside from one town there were no people aside from random bad guys with guns who would shoot at you and the same five missions over and over and over again?

That was a bad game.

I've stopped playing games so I don't think I'll buy this one.

Unless there's a level where I get to shoot up Jesus Camp.

thats all the far crys

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

a bone to pick posted:

This is like, every single Far Cry ever made, and Crysis.

crysis/ warhead were both good for the first couple hours where you're the Predator insanely brutally murdering koreans in the jungle

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

the titanite demon is clearly a libertarian

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

I insanely brutally slaughter thousands of trumptards with grenade launchers and bazookas

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Kopijeger posted:

You may be thinking of Darkest of Days, the game where you play as a soldier snatched (through time travel) from the Battle of Little Big Horn shortly before the Indians would have killed you and wind up fighting in the US Civil War, WWI's Eastern Front (where tanks drive around years ahead of time and Imperial Russian soldiers wear Soviet medals and shout "Death to the occupiers" while being on German territory) and, indeed, one level set in Pompeii while Vesuvius is erupting where you are free to gun down all the fleeing resident because they will die anyway.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

jonathan mcintosh's shtick is to react to every single game that gets attention and cry about it. if tetris came out today he's be whining about the destructive power of the phallic 4x1 as it penetrates rows of pieces to erase them

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

they make the same game over and over and it's all the same tedious open world busywork poo poo with mediocre and repetitive gameplay. at this stage i wonder if it's even worth it, people actually cry when games are too long now so they might be better off working on well designed discrete levels rather than making giant empty open worlds to do 600 identical fetch quests in

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

people don't play the game for 600 hours but they loving love hearing that they're getting 600 hours of entertainment for their 60 bucks

also the hottest new fad sweeping the nation is a little stick on a ball bearing that you can spin, and people pay hundreds of dollars for them

the 'well designed discrete levels' thing is what the absolute bottom-budget one-man-operation tier of indie games trades in because it is impossible to make money doing it, and the AAA devs are probably just putting more effort than they need to into making the collection/fetch bullshit not literally the same thing 600 times

i don't think that's true, DOOM's success (which was really out of nowhere) was all level design and tight, controlled gameplay. the reception of games like Mirror's Edge Catalyst and MGSV (both of which made the transition from levels to open world) shows that people are getting sick of it imho

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Looks to me like it's done pretty much the same as, slightly worse than DOOM 3? Something called DOOM doing pretty well is about as unprecedented as something called Grand Theft Auto making a few bucks, I don't know that that and an infamously poorly managed game that's literally missing its last third because the company that made it wanted to be making pachinko games instead represent much of an open-world backlash, I wasn't claiming that it was impossible for any open-world game to do poorly under any circumstances.

the ones that AREN'T Minecraft knockoffs. all three of them

i'm not sure this site is accurate, there's an estimated 1.7M doom owners on steam alone and it only shows 0.3M for PC. does it only track physical? in any case i'm talking about the reception of those games, doom got excellent reviews and word of mouth despite everything about it looking like poo poo during development and both mgsv/me2 were criticized for the usual "open world with nothing in it" poo poo plaguing AAA releases.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

John Wizard you must take down the orc outposts and capture the mordor towers. don't forget to collect all 100 rings of power

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

a bone to pick posted:

when are they releasing Far Cry Fyre?

that's essentially far cry 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

too bad this game is coming out in february 2018, long after president pence solved racism

• Locked thread