Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Sounds pretty cool tbh

we're finally getting a sequel to Redneck Rampage:

a heckin good time

Fartbox fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

The only good part of the last FarCry I played was that segment where you burn a weed plantation while a retarded skrillex song plays. If they can infuse the game with more weird and different stuff like that, I'll enjoy it

If it's just more "climb towers 100 times and then attack the same generic outpost 100 times until the game is over" it's gonna be boring as poo poo

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Original FarCry was good until your main enemy became monstermonkeys or whatever

I think that complaint stuck with them too because all the other farcrys didn't really have a mad scientist creating monster apes and stuff and instead we just got endless droves of mercs

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

But I think monstrous enemies and weird stuff would be fun nowadays. It's boring to shoot mercs all the time

Give me fuckin aliens and the monster from Predator hunting the jungles

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

New Order was good. Are they making a sequel? It did okay didn't it?

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Infinite implied that everyone was bad, including you, the protagonist

that's why you get drowned at the end too

everyone is poo poo

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Though I dont think there's anything wrong with aliens. But both in the case of FarCry and Crysis, the monsters/aliens were super boring to fight. The crysis squid things looked kinda cool but were just floating faceless boring turds. It was way more fun to sneak into a camp full of crazy asians who started screaming at shadows when you started messing with them

A good mix like New Order really was the best blend. You fight Nazis most of the time, but every now and then they bring along a loving mech to fight and stuff

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

I never played any of the other haloeses

What was the continued story like?

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

I hope they have mammoths in this one too

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

I played that sniper game and it was SO BORING

the AI couldn't do poo poo. The AI can never do poo poo against snipers

You just sit on a perch and kill the poor fools

I wish games would focus on making AI better instead of graphics now. The graphics are good enough, lets make the AI cooler to fight

I guess that's harder though.. But I feel like the AI hasn't really come very far since Half-Life 1, in 1998 (holy mother of god, i am old)

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Gore was peaking in games around soldier of fortune, which got a lot of controversy about it, but then we had a complete shift for a while, to games with almost no gore.

Half-Life went from soldiers and aliens exploding into bits of gorey limbs and skulls to ragdolls in Half-Life 2 with zero limb damage and only minor blood splatter when you shot up guys. I dunno if it was because media was constantly attacking games for being "too violent" at the time so the entire industry kind of chilled out or if it was more about technology, like maybe it was real hard to make gore work with the brand new physics stuff and ragdolls that were introduced about a decade ago

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

a bone to pick posted:

loving doom just came out last year

Ye and it owned

Gore does have a place in extremely violent shooters. Tearing apart demons in Doom was very satisfying

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

A lot of love and care went into this stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SGiI0_AA4o

Fartbox fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 28, 2017

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Jack Trades posted:

Is that when you stopped playing video games? Because I bet you I can name a gorier game for every year past whenever Soldier of Fortune came out.

In the soldier of fortune game I played I could cut people up into little pieces with my knoife. I didn't play many other shooters at the time that were so focused on gore and i dont recall many others getting as much flak for it as SoF either

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

shadow warrior 2 came out in 2016, soldier of fortune 2 came out in 2000ish

A lot has happened since then and we're getting back to gore nowadays

But stuff like this was real controversial back then, in the long long ago

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

No I don't like gore for gores sake, i only like it in stuff like Doom when I can explode demons. You know, where it's fitting

It'd be real weird with ultraviolence in games like bioshock infinite for example. Blowing up people into piles of guts while your disney princess cheers you on would be all kinds of wrong

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Jack Trades posted:

My point is that it wasn't since every year after someone was pushing the gore tech even further and further.

I don't think I understand what you're trying to say

I thought you said that gore got even worse after soldier of fortune, but I personally saw a stark decline in the industry soon after

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Well you got me there, i never used melee in the game only guns

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Gore peaked at the time, then as i said, with games like Half life 2, Halo and Doom 3, you got basically zero gore instead. Then, as i said, nowadays we're getting back to extreme gore again with games like Doom

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Jack Trades posted:

Shadow Warrior 2 is great but I don't think it's better than DOOM simply because of it's retarded loot and gem system which made the game a lot less fun for me.

Personally I thought it got really tedious. It was like playing a single player MMO. You just ran around the same looking places killing various versions of the same monster for loot. I think at some point I couldn't do certain content because my level wasn't high enough or something. I gave up and didn't finish it eventually. Maybe it was more fun in coop?

It wasn't even in the same league as DOOM imo, in fact I enjoyed the trashy old original Shadow Warrior better

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Manhunt & Punisher werent even fps but both of them got a lot of attention for how ridiculous their violence was

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Jack Trades posted:

Fartbox said that games of Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 era were gore-free.

Now you're just being a retard

I said there was a decline in gore and specifically listed the flagship FPS games of the era and they were largely gore free. Then you listed some niche third person games as examples that ye, there was still gore. Of course there was gore but there was a lot less of it than in the early days of FPS games where pretty much everything from Duke Nukem to Half Life to Doom was ultraviolence

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

it let you cut zombies in half, all humans were intact afaik

quote:

Do you have the short-term memory of a goldfish or something?

it's like talking to a wall

I listed the games as examples. There was a HUGE shift in the fps genre around that time

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

DOOM was really satisfying though. Getting attacked by the toughest enemy in the game and using your last chainsaw fuel on it, cutting its leg off and then it's head was just cool, man

Gibbing demons has been cool ever since 1993, when doom first demonstrated how to do it properly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's just like movies, the rating should fit the tone and purpose of the game, but studios often try to jam things to fit a certain mold and demographic. Why everyone was scared that Fox would only learn "R rated violent movies are gold" from Deadpool and not "An R rated character should get an R rated movie." Also why people were surprised when Logan turned out to be a legitimately good movie and not just a dumb Wolverine flick with STAB STAB STAB.

Ultra violence is great in a movie or game that should be ultra violent (Doom, Rambo, Killing Floor, Dredd, etc.) but a game with a lighter tone doesn't need the same level of violence. Honestly this is a bigger problem with film than games though, with violent/dark material getting neutered into PG13 and other stuff being pushed into an R with terrible CGI blood and an inserted gently caress or two.

One of the more interesting examples are actually two of the most notoriously violent games, Grand Theft Auto and Saint's Row. Both are notoriously bloody, violent and R rated yet there's no gibs and the blood wouldn't even be PG, because there is a sense of hyper-realism about it all, a hint of a tongue being held in the cheek when you run over a beach full of people from stopping it getting too dark. Which was a wise use of restraint.

ED: Oh yeah, one more interesting example. The original (they changed it) Left 4 Dead 2 in Australia vs the PC one. It simply is not remotely as satisfying when you can't blow the zombies into showers of limbs. It doesn't fit the tone to censor it.

you loving sicko

what of the children

• Locked thread