Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ive enjoyed every Far Cry game and this looks fun but I really hope they tone down on the crafting that poo poo gets tedious imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Universe Master posted:

I want a far cry game set in a fantasy universe. Some dark wizard looking through a crystal finds a loaded arsenal on present day earth and opens a portal that sucks stockpiles of assault and sniper rifles and light machine guns and armed jeeps and all the usual far cry stuff and he hands it out to a bunch of orc followers. You're a commando dude who gets sucked in as well, and a good wizard finds you and teaches you Bioshock/Skyrim type hand weapon magic. You'll take down orks armed with AKs with either guns or magic and hunt dragons and griffons and manticores.

Primal was kind of close to fantasy it was basically a riff on the Beastmaster movies but set in caveman times

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Problem is gonna be when you have helicopters shooting missiles around Buckwheat County Montana, in a contemporary setting with smart phones, you're gonna beggar belief.

I dont think these games have ever been meant to be particularly realistic except for arguably the second one

in Far Cry 4 you could destroy an entire enemy compound by riding an elephant around ffs

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

tone of the cult dude reminds me a bit of Paul Dano's character in There Will Be Blood

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

nigga crab pollock posted:

the core problem with ubisoft games is the icons, it removes the suspense and uncertainty from the game world

agreed but you easily can just turn them off so its not really a big problem

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ive been playing a lot of ghost recon wildlands which is basically a ubisoft/far cry style game without any crafting and a weird coop mode added in, and its the same thing where the game is much better if you just turn off the hud/icons etc.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

nigga crab pollock posted:

they heavily rely on collectibles which are just straight up a bad gameplay system

collecting things isnt bad, but getting rewarded based on how many identical tasks you have repeated is the worst poo poo ever. you must collect 5/15 blow up sex toy dolls before you may access this content, which is also a collectible fetch quest with rewards on half/third completion. its like world of warcraft except without the long term 'im gonna be max level someday' skinner box that compels people to play except with even more bread crumbs and even less abstract player choice in where they can make numbers go up

its basically a game that tells you exactly how to play it and in what order to play it and whats the point of playing a video game like that

I dont bother with the collectables unless they improve a specific area of gameplay that i enjoy. other than that I just basically raid outposts and gently caress around. these games are a lot more enjoyable if you turn off all the hint and information systems and visual aids and just go out into the world with no explanation

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yeah from the one gameplay trailer ive seen it looks great

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

more games need to take place in the way-out parts of america instead of new york / LA / etc.

agreed. there are rumors that the next GTA takes place in Houston, or maybe just all of Texas, which would be interesting

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Fartbox posted:

But I think monstrous enemies and weird stuff would be fun nowadays. It's boring to shoot mercs all the time

this is why Blood Dragon is still the best Far Cry game

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i'm sure there are some niche high end surgery simulators out there that could provide exactly what you need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I think someone should make a VR game where your job is to raise some pigs, then slaughter those pigs, butcher them properly and then make their internal organs into sausages and pates other products, and then using the money to continually improve the efficiency of your pig breeding and slaughtering processes, all of which you oversee in intricate graphic detail. deluxe edition comes with a device that you plug into a wall socket (with companion app) that generates appropriate pork farm smells synced to your gameplay

• Locked thread