Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I went back to watch the first couple episodes of the show, and on the one hand there competent plotting and it's weirdly entertaining to see Arya & Bran be little shits with some kind of personality, not to mention Jaime looking like a post-'90s surfer dude.

But on the other hand, the Dothraki plot is a complete shitshow in terms of representing race and sexuality, to the point where I can't believe I kept watching. I certainly remember now what drove me away from the books, and it's kinda fun in retrospect to think back to powering through that stuff on the show in the hopes of a strong plot development/ending outweighing early problems :downsgun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

What's bad about the dothrakis?

It's the presentation, at this point they're just the generic darker-skinned wild people who are scary because all they want to do is gently caress and kill each other for fun. Seen through the central character of the tiny white girl (whose mission now is to learn to please her rapist husband).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well that was eventually blamed on Viserys when he hired a whore to teach Dany how to ride Drogo. Not saying it absolves Clarke's terrible acting but it did have the side effect of getting rid of the creepy rape overtones since the whore also helped Dany gain confidence and meet Drogo on her own terms instead of as a slave.

Like I said, a lot of it was the presentation, it still feels problematic to me regardless of later plot developments.
The hired lady just compounds that, GRRM's obsession with inserting references to creepy sex stuff was the final straw for me with the books, and something the show toned down. But it's right up front here with her blithely narrating her story of being sold to a brothel as a child before moving on to the sex training :yikes:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Glenn Quebec posted:

I never took all the creepy stuff he put in as being a celebrated thing but rather showing how depraved and horrendous some characters could be

Oh, it's not celebrated, it's just the number of times stuff like that comes up. Like, did you ever consider not constantly going back to that particular well while making up your fantasy world? I can believe it's a lovely place full of bad people even without all that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Splinter posted:

In the books Drogo doesn't rape Dany. He seduces her and asks for permission.

Goddammit showrunners

Ralph Crammed In posted:

If you ignore that she's like fifteen.

Goddammit GRRM

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

I don't think that's true. There's this broad representation that throughout history women were treated universally like chattel, and most historians now are arguing that while that occasionally happened, and noble daughters, in particular, were often highly pressured to marry to secure alliance, the vast majority of peasants got married because they wanted to (often later, in the mid-later twenties). Certainly, in many instances, women had reduced property rights and there was no law against marital rape, but the experiences of most women throughout history do not equate to the often depicted France/Brittain noble daughters being used to secure alliances.

That could've been an interesting way to ~subvert expectations~ about life back then on made-up fantasy NotEarth, but I guess the lure of throwing a 12- or 18.01-year-old into the cliche version was just too strong.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Fine, more giants stepping on people and more soldiers loving each other.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ocean Book posted:

ive been rewatching and rereading from the beginning and in both cases I’m skipping danaerys (and most bran) chapters. it’s really good that way.

Yeah that's probably for the best. I think there is some ok Dany stuff in the early show but it's tough to get over that start. The book, though, ......eesh.

I kinda like tiny whiny Bran in the show though, that guy loved climbing more than I'll ever love anything and I can respect that. I honestly don't remember a thing about him in the books after he got pushed out the window, I think I quit the series before he actually did anything interesting outside the wall.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

*hastily pencils in Game of Thrones above Return of the Jedi on Things David Cronenberg Should've Made list*

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

He's seven when the books start. You're more like a puppy than a person at that age, how could he even really have interesting chapters.

They're interesting if you like people who really like climbing things, if it's like the show

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That shot was the one thing in the series that made me give an audible reaction - not Ned's execution, not the Red Wedding, that shot. Unfortunately the reaction was a snort of laughter and "oh my God, really?"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Same, except for Arya giving the Night King the ol' righty-lefty shank and killing the entire zombie army.

That just got the dreaded silent :rolleyes: of definitively realizing that any interest I had in the remainder of the show's conclusion would never be paid off.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I don't care what the writers wanted, that dragon burnt that throne because he saw the knife stuck in his mom and decided it was the chair full of knives that killed her. The writers be damned, whoever first typed that made the real game of thrones story and I accept it as such for all conversations. After all the dragon can't read minds, it wasn't there to observe Jon do it, and it's always been pitbill-intelligence not Smaug-from-The-Hobbit-intelligence.

*stares, breathing heavily with mouth slightly open*

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The more I rewatch the early episodes, the more I'm convinced that the only good ending is Renly becoming king. The Night King eventually shows up and is like, drat, I guess some people ARE just cool and good, looks like I don't need to wipe out human life after all

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

TheWeepingHorse posted:

Night King sees Margaery, mutters "bodacious", takes a picture and marches back north

:hmmyes:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ralph Crammed In posted:

He should have had cold related puns like Mr Freeze

"Ice to meet you Khaleesi! I've certainly gotten a frosty reception from your dragon!"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

IT'S A SERIOUS AND REALISTIC SHOW!!!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

He was suicidal. He never wanted to be the Night King. Job sucks. Life sucks. Suicide by cop tiny ninja.

I dunno, he seems pretty smirky when Dany fails to kill him with dragon fire. Maybe his innate trolliness outweighs his death wish.

Also lol @ looking up that scene because it briefly looks like Jon might get to do something exciting and meaningful, but NOPE.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Tag urself, I'm the medical alert bracelet

I'm WordStar 4.0, (c) 1987 MicroPro International

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Evil Agita posted:

I'm George RR Martin, the author

How much would it cost to get a good ending

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

If you thought this was gonna have a good ending, you haven't been paying attention.

:hmmyes:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So after watching only season 8 and laughing at every minute of it, I’m watching the show from the beginning. Just about to watch the finale of Season 2, Tyrion just hosed up Stannis’ fleet with Fel Napalm and led some soldiers into battle while Joff went to go hide :black101: .

Someone tell me what point to stop. Either the point at which they ran out of book, (tell me that regardless) or the point where it becomes poo poo since they might have been coasting on fumes for a few more episodes before it all falls apart.

I’ve been informed that Tywin dies before the end of book material, so at least I don’t need to worry about them defiling the best character.

Also I’m kind of glad that they didn’t ruin John Snow at the end; he was a terrible, boring, stupid character from the beginning. He’s worse than I could have even imagined. He’s like the most bland anime protagonist. He was supposed to kill an enemy combatant and regroup with dudes in like 30 seconds, instead he lets her slip, spends ~2 days chasing her, then gets led into an ambush by her people, who apparently work for Skull Knight from Berserk. His comrades got killed looking for him because of his.

At least he gets to bang this ice hillbilly chick IRL and live with her in Lickdeeznuts Castle it whatever.

Edit: watching D&D talk about the show and characters after each episode in hindsight owns.

Honestly after just getting to the end of S2 in my own ill-advised rewatch, that episode's finale is pretty awesome and I kinda don't want to go any further because I know they just start loving things up more and more.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Step 1: Deliver harsh justice to those who generally deserve it
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit Murder thousands of innocents

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The ol' fastball special, works every time!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Communist Walrus posted:

Ignoring the very end where all the dummies name him supreme leader, does Bran actually affect anything at all in the series? I haven't watched the early seasons since they first aired but it kind of seems like he never did anything of consequence and could be removed entirely with minimal effort.

He sits in one spot so conspicuously that the Night King gets confuzled and distracted, leaving him open to a sneak attack that could definitely not have happened at literally any other time or place.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

What if Bran had been faking his paraplegia for the last eight years just to lure the Night King in, NK blocks Arya but it's Bran who jumps up and stabs him
*winks at camera* "GOT EM!" *cut to credits*

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

poisonpill posted:

Lmao I misread that as “did Bronn do anything or affect the plot in any way” and my initial thought was “huh, nope!”

He actually killed Tyrion and Jaime with a sweet ricochet shot, everything after that was just the fevered imagination of a dying mind.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Goddamn the Podrick Fucks Super Good plotline is the stupidest thing that's ever aired on television, we should've known how things would go from there :fuckthis:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

I always liked the theory that it was a ploy by Littlefinger to try and get information about Bronn/Tyrion from Pod through the whores. Bronn keeps asking what he did, what he told them, what they said because he gets the feeling something isn't right, but Tyrion keeps believing it because he wants his hooker girlfriend to be a real girlfriend so needs to believe that maybe Pod is super good and the hookers can really love him.

I wish I could believe that :sigh:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The Human Frame posted:

Don't forget Margaery telling Sansa what a great time Tyrion is reputed to be, and virgin sworn to chastity Jon Snow inventing cunnilingus north of the wall.

:lol: I just got to the latter, what a series where you get moronic poo poo like that and the stupid Podrick sideplot sandwiched in with stuff like Beric Dondarrion dying and being reborn, and traitor Davos being taught to read by Stannis' kid. I knew rewatching it was going to be a bad idea, there's a lot of good stuff in there that's kind of depressing because it belongs in a better show.

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 11, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Glenn Quebec posted:

Nothing is as bad as Tyrions, "stories are the most powerful thing." Speech

Not even a literal "Song of Ice and Fire" book appearing onscreen?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Written five minutes after the war ended, amidst the still smoking ruin of the capital city. Definitely a very accurate and useful account.

Well maybe that's why everything felt rushed this season.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Note: Eddie died on the way back to his home planet

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://bgr.com/2019/06/11/game-of-thrones-season-8-hbo-submits-the-worst-episodes-for-emmys-lol-lol-lol/

"What do we say to the god of low ratings?"
"Not today."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Maybe they're going for the old "technically it doesn't say outstandingly good" play.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Selyse "The Pickler" Baratheon,
Terror Tribe

Ugh, the dill ones are way better!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

in the books they come across as more threatening because they have a bunch weird supernatural poo poo going on.

Is that where they get more into the cthulhu-ish stuff that the show alluded to in maybe one episode?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

thatguy posted:

yes, and then immediately forgot about because chekov and gently caress that motherfucker

I mean there's still time for the books to follow the Night King/bad rulers getting killed with Cthulhu waking up to destroy everyone except his true servants followed immediately by him going back to sleep after Asha/Yara's ship bumps into him

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hahaha I forgot that was their official motto, that's so specific and petty it becomes awesome. Now I want everyone to have their own lazy house words, like "WORK SUCKS" or "UGH, gently caress FARMING"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

But Cthulhu the lazy rapist Vikings worship is real yeah, right?

He's real and cool and he is my friend