Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Dumb Lowtax posted:

It's interesting to hear the British side of things; to hear what all these British actors and actresses have to tell us about the world in general through their TV show. Their message for us seems to be, "It's no big deal at all when a kingdom decides to break off from a loose, mutually beneficial union of countries. It's a smooth, easy process. Just sever previous economic and political relationships for the sake of independence if you're suspicious of foreigners."

Which kingdom is Greece in this scenario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Glenn Quebec posted:

Hmm yes as u can see the passant gardant goat argent on a fess sable bounding three brown bezant means Branken king forever.

no ring, 3/10

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

And Lost Boys...

That's how vampires have worked since at least Dracula

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

halokiller posted:

Then you can eventually join the rest of us - bitter and sardonic because the last two books are never coming.

Nah, as others have pointed out they'll definitely bring in hack fraud Brandon Sanderson to finish it after GRRM chokes on a pie.

I do keep my eyes open for a short round man in a railroad cap whenever I'm in Santa Fe.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

YaketySass posted:

Do radio play even exist anymore?

Only as wholesome entertainment for the kind of homeschool kids whose parents consider Mr Rogers far too secular and thus unsuitable.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Collapsing Farts posted:

Tabletop writers? Lol

When you think back on it, a lot of the show sorta sounds like a dungeons and dragons campaign.

Because the characters do the dumbest poo poo possible at all times. Daenerys burning anyone who looks at her crosswise, and also just torching her new capital for yuks, is absolutely a 14 year old D&D player move ("What the gently caress, Darren" "I'm chaotic evil, dude!")

Hell, the Night King is the "big bad" (god I hate that idiotic phrase but it's what dumbshit tabletop writers like to say) and the player characters trivialize the encounter with some stupid bullshit.

And there's a whole lot of time spent in brothels.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Reminder that the Night King is a dumb and probably forgot what those patterns meant himself.

ice zombie equivalent of this

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

thoughts and prayers posted:

If you want unbelievably over-the-top sexual deviancy for pure pandering and shock value then GRRM has nothing on, say, Philip Jose Farmer. Go find 'A Feast Unknown' and see the most ridiculous poo poo the 70's had to offer.

Riders of the Purple Wage is the only Farmer I've read, and while it was pretty fuckin weird I'd categorize the sex stuff as much more shock value than pandering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Hillary 2020 posted:

It's already doomed. They can't use any of the established characters or lore so it's going to be like GoT but if they weren't allowed to use any of the books as source material.

Gandalf doesn't arrive in Middle-Earth until the Third Age so the only linking characters they can use are a couple of the elves.

Numenorean political maneuvering and a secret death cult sounds about right for modern streaming television, especially if they can figure out how to get a young Haradrim woman as the protagonist and still stay within the strictures of the license.