Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

I am not in your industry so please take any of my advice with a grain of salt and if someone with more experience in your industry says something that contradicts my advice, you should probably listen to them instead.

The skills section of your resume confuses me: having it be one column that takes up a big chunk of the page seems odd. Your resume is 1.5 pages but it might be better to try and get it to fit in just one page (fiddling with font size, spacing, cutting some of the less useful stuff, can all help you get there). Have you tried turning your skills section into either 2-3 columns or listing them horizontally instead? Also, some of the skills seem more like generic fluff than an actual skill (short-notice subject matter expert, critical/creative thinker, confident public speaking) and don't really fit in when compared to better skills like "Tableau" and "Intermediate Spanish".

Regarding specifics, the rule of thumb I always learned was to use hard numbers when possible. Why was the thing you did good? Did something get better because of what you did? How much better? The impression I get from your job descriptions is what the role was, and what your duties were, but not how well you performed.

You do this in your section about your teaching experience much better, notably "Directly responsible for 150 children. Managed and implemented new curricula. Authored or edited over 2,000 unique pages of materials across 17 subjects. Began the school’s conversion to an accredited International Baccalaureate program." and "Increased enrollment at the school by 50% through working relationships and sponsored local events."

Do you have any stats on your brand consulting gigs at all? Any specific case studies you could call out (not necessarily by name) as having been helped by you and by how much?

Putting a bad MBA on your resume indicates poor judgement on your part (because you paid for a worthless piece of paper). I'm not 100% sure you haaaave to put it on your resume if you have it, but you could certainly consider having two versions of your resume (one with it and one without) and see which one gets you more callbacks. I think my mom actually had to take her doctorate off her resume for a while when she was looking for work (twenty years ago), because otherwise she'd have been overqualified and people wouldn't have hired her.

EDIT: For cover letters (grain of salt, grain of salt! I'm trying to help but not great at this stuff either), try to focus a little less on talking yourself up generically and more on highlighting how you would be an asset to the company:

To the Hiring Manager,

I am writing to express my interest in your University Relations Project Manager position.
I have just graduated with an MBA from Concordia here in Austin and feel that I would be a good fit for the role.

For the past few years, I have been working as a brand consultant, specializing in social media management and improving brand presence. Recently, I spent time with Modern Woodmen of America as an intern, where I introduced a new trade name to better target the under-35 generation.

Prior to that I was the headmaster of one of the most prestigious primary schools in Nigergia, the Aduvie International School. There, I improved enrollment in the school by 50% and built relationships with local communities and government officials. I was also responsible for organizing and planning many of our school's events, including two that had more than a thousand attendees.

I dunno, and then another little bit here that's mostly fluff, tying back to the whole "I am totally good at the poo poo you're asking for, and here's this thing i did already that is basically what you want" theme. I think the unique combination of skills I have are why I would be an ideal fit for this role and look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you for your time,
my name
and also my phone number
and also my email

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

I think skills and education both at the bottom would be better (putting experience at the top, especially because your BA's from 2007), and definitely as KYOON GRIFFEY JR says, if you're running into trouble keeping your resume one page while highlighting important information, just have multiple copies of your resume tailored to different subjects. One resume for consulting and one for generic office stuff might be good to start.

I definitely think the way you split up the duties in the consultant section looks better than it did before. Even if you can't fit a proper case study (please find a successful case study), at least put one googleable name into there that people can look up that makes you look good. Right now, there's no way to actually prove you did anything as a brand consultant, no one to ask about it (if checking references), not even a website to look up. I could copy/paste it wholesale into my resume and there'd be no way for a stranger to know I'm completely full of poo poo.

If you do have a website, make it look good, throw some testimonials in there too if you don't have them already, and add its name (assuming it shows up near the top when you google it) to your resume:

Cool Brands, Inc. (Self-Employed) July 2012 to present
Brand Consultant

I'm not sure what to cut from the Nigeria section -- maybe cut the 150 children bit (you're headmaster for a school, they can get an idea of size by how many teachers you managed) to only mention the IB program part, maybe cut the event management stuff for some resumes but not others or merge it with other stuff that can boil down to "improved enrollment by 50% by throwing high-profile events and collaborating with high-profile officials, such as the minister of education" (but phrased better), or whatever.

Agree that finding a way to semi-gracefully fit "i interacted professionally with the president of nigeria" into your resume would be good.

You should be able to cut all but the following from your skills, if you're strapped for space: Tableau Software, MS Excel and PowerPoint (you don't feel you can say Microsoft Office?), Technical Writing, Intermediate Spanish

Trash the Peru cert.

For stupid spacing tricks, you can make the title and employer for your previous jobs one line:

Headmaster -- Aduvie International School, Abuja, Nigeria July 2012 - Sept 2013

I actually prefer to right-justify the duration of a job so there's more space and slightly better readability too, consider trying that out if you do smush those two lines into one.

And you can also click on just the whitespace lines and shrink only the empty line's font size by a few extra points, or shrink the top/bottom margins by a smidge (not sure if that's something recruiters/hiring managers won't like, though).

• Locked thread