Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Aliquid posted:

Yeah, that's what's got me spooked. I have zero excuses, and I have no idea why interviews aren't materializing. If I were getting interviews but not getting jobs, at least I'd have something to work on.

People gave you lots of good resume and letter advice - do you have updated versions since the start of the thread? I also suggest having multiple resumes depending on which job you are applying for - don't send your MBA resume to try and get your hotel staff job back, for example. I also suggest writing each cover letter from scratch for each job you apply for instead of having a template, and keeping them shorter than what you currently have up there.

You got lots of good advice from people who do more hiring than I ever have so I didn't reply when you first started the thread, but since you are still having trouble I figured I would post. I definitely can see why people are passing you over though, so I think there is plenty of room to improve to the point that you start getting callbacks.

If you post an updated resume, or update the OP, I'll list specific things I would change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Aliquid posted:

I'd like to, but can't find a way that keeps the resume to one page. I guess if I really expand on that section, two pages is okay.

Is there some reason you won't post your updated resume in the format you claim it's in so that people can see it and comment on specific things? You have made multiple references to formatting and wording as it exists in this secret copy of your resume.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Aliquid posted:

Just trying to keep it simple and specific. It's already at like 10.5 font and no lines available to add.

I would get rid of the skills section, get rid of the school in Peru, get rid of the Holiday Inn Express section. I would swap the first two experience things, put the stuff under brand consultant into bullet points so it batches everything else, fix the bullet points under Modern Woodmen to not be indented a billion times more than all the others. I would try to balance out all the experience so they each have 4-6 bullet points instead of being all over the place.

I would probably put Education under Experience and possibly add a small summary 3 line section at the very top highlighting the global diversity of your experience. The section under your army experience is weird because it kind of reads like you failed out of Officer Candidate school, but I don't know anything about the military so I'm not sure what is happening there.

I would change your title at the Aduvie school to just "Headmaster" because it seems confusing to be both that and a teacher, and you already have a bullet point talking about teaching that you can tighten up a bit.

After all that I would revisit the wording and take out some of the extra annoying buzzwords (e.g. Utilized) and then make sure that the tense of the statements throughout the resume generally matches up. For example, "Led extracurricular activities" and "procurement experience" kind of clash to me and is easily fixed up by changing the second one a bit. I normally wouldn't mention that but it seems like a business/MBA type person should have that down more than a tech resume.

• Locked thread