Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Lowtax was really good at running a forum for autistic misanthropes who were really good at loving with other internet denizens more hosed up than they were. Too bad he hates doing that more than literally anything else in the universe so here he is halfassedly begging for handouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

So lowtax gets over 100 per month in ad revenue and says it isn't enough to pay for McDonald's? Uhh.. how much McDonald's is he eating?
It's time for some McMath!

First, there's four people in the family: Lowtax, his wife, and two kids. We'll be generous and assume that Lowtax brings his oldest daughter with him to McDonald's when he goes. We'll say his wife and the baby come along sometimes but she splits the costs with him when the do, just to make poo poo simpler - plus the baby wouldn't get anything there anyway.

Now let's assume $5 for an adult meal, and $4 for a Happy Meal. I don't go to McDonald's much. We'll say they aren't sizing up, but we can just call it $10 a trip, bare minimum. More if Lowtax grabs Mickey D's for everyone and brings it home or something.

So that's basically a couple times a week.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I bring this up mostly because people tend to assume that fast food is really cheap, but it adds up quickly. Same with food from convenience stores. This is why cities need to address the problem of food deserts in low-income areas.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

I bring this up mostly because people tend to assume that fast food is really cheap, but it adds up quickly. Same with food from convenience stores. This is why cities need to address the problem of food deserts in low-income areas.

I live in california, the post office is down the street and I bet I could stuff my pockets with like, a whole bunch of pretty fertile dirt. Would that help?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Psycho Society posted:

I live in california, the post office is down the street and I bet I could stuff my pockets with like, a whole bunch of the some fertile of dirt. Would that help?
Yes. Please smuggle soil to the inner cities to build parks and plant gardens.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

agreed

Can you tweet the referral link idea to lowtax please. How is he less technologically savvy than Old Friends Senior Dog Sanctuary?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

agreed

Can you tweet the referral link idea to lowtax please. How is he less technologically savvy than Old Friends Senior Dog Sanctuary?
I don't have tweeter.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I doubt his pride would allow that after the mangosteen incident

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

FactsAreUseless posted:

First, there's four people in the family: Lowtax, his wife, and two kids. We'll be generous and assume that Lowtax brings his oldest daughter with him to McDonald's when he goes. We'll say his wife and the baby come along sometimes but she splits the costs with him when the do, just to make poo poo simpler - plus the baby wouldn't get anything there anyway.

Now let's assume $5 for an adult meal, and $4 for a Happy Meal. I don't go to McDonald's much. We'll say they aren't sizing up, but we can just call it $10 a trip, bare minimum. More if Lowtax grabs Mickey D's for everyone and brings it home or something.

Three kids, actually. And I'm sure lowtax feeds his one-year-old MacRibs, too. Your maths is off.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Lowtax you fuckman sell shirts with a grenade logo on them, sell tshirts with :10bux: on them for $10, sell tshirts with multiple :10bux: on them with prices to match.

You know those lovely awareness ribbons for cancer and AIDS and poo poo?

Put a less lovely version of that grenade-ified ribbon on things with something about a dead gay comedy forum awareness campaign or sell a pin/badge with it on there.

Sell tshirts that say "I Survived Shmorky", and make them available only in children's sizes.

Guy Mann posted:

OK the YouTube thing didn't work out, literally nobody could have seen that coming aside from all the people who spent years telling me that this would happen. Good thing I have my backup plan, breaking into audio engineering at 50 with no formal training or work history and a portfolio that features a video of me taunting a pedophile by covering my daughter in diapers whilst playing video games.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

jfc lowtax is possibly the worst businessman on the planet, how has this lovely site survived for 18 years?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I like Lowtax

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

bradzilla posted:

jfc lowtax is possibly the worst businessman on the planet, how has this lovely site survived for 18 years?

Because as bad as this place is every where else is so much worse it's not even comparable. It'd would be like comparing sort of a rundown lovely suburb to inside the fukishima reactor in terms of human habitability.

XxXCaptainNoxXxX
May 18, 2017

by zen death robot

FactsAreUseless posted:

You are like the quintessential late 90s early 2000s liberal and I love you for it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm pretty sure running t-shirt or merch competitions among the userbase would provide some income. Winner gets a share of the profits + platinum account or whatever. Lowtax keeps the rights to any image for merch purposes.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

lohli posted:

Lowtax you fuckman sell shirts with a grenade logo on them, sell tshirts with :10bux: on them for $10, sell tshirts with multiple :10bux: on them with prices to match.

You know those lovely awareness ribbons for cancer and AIDS and poo poo?

Put a less lovely version of that grenade-ified ribbon on things with something about a dead gay comedy forum awareness campaign or sell a pin/badge with it on there.

Sell tshirts that say "I Survived Shmorky", and make them available only in children's sizes.

Lol. Those are okay ideas.
Seriously, I've seen much less popular video games youtube people sell merch. It doesn't even cost that much to have your design in some online shop, so that they can print it on demand.

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003

gary oldmans diary posted:

actually if lowtax made a firefox and chrome add-on that did nothing but add his referral tag to amazon.com urls and asked us to use it he would probably make poo poo tons of money at no additional expense to anyone but amazon
the combined userbase of moneyed adult users here surely spend upwards of a $50000 a month on amazon

i just came up with how you can make lots of free money entirely passively lowtax. all you have to do is say "ok somebody make this for me"

whats funny is that Dr. Eldarion or whatever the gently caress his name is from the deals forum does this with every "deal" he posts.

he probably makes more money than lowtax.

lowtax has been asleep at the wheel for about 5 years. doesnt look like he knows how to drum up revenue beyond 'i'll draw you some bullshit for donating me money' and 'here are some features you'll probably never live long enough to see, so give me money'

it's a shame really. I believe that Lowtax deserves to be successful. But the greatest obstacle between him and success is himself.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

XxXCaptainNoxXxX posted:

You are like the quintessential late 90s early 2000s liberal and I love you for it.
I'm aware of the gentrification issues that come with trying to improve the inner city, and furthermore FAAAAARRRRRRRRTTTTTTTT

XxXCaptainNoxXxX
May 18, 2017

by zen death robot

well why not posted:

I'm pretty sure running t-shirt or merch competitions among the userbase would provide some income. Winner gets a share of the profits + platinum account or whatever. Lowtax keeps the rights to any image for merch purposes.

Lowtax could email a jpg of the SA grenade to Café press or something and effortlessly collect a paycheck every month but won't because they get a cut.

XxXCaptainNoxXxX
May 18, 2017

by zen death robot

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm aware of the gentrification issues that come with trying to improve the inner city, and furthermore FAAAAARRRRRRRRTTTTTTTT

tell me about super storms

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I don't care about videos, but I'd subscribe to a Patreon specifically for the forums. Or I'd donate to a Kickstart for the forums migration. I know, crazy talk.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

mike12345 posted:

I don't care about videos, but I'd subscribe to a Patreon specifically for the forums. Or I'd donate to a Kickstart for the forums migration. I know, crazy talk.

The forums migration is a myth

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the igooninati is behind xenforo

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Imagine being lowtax and writing those backer tier rewards.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Yep let me donate to this guy maybe then I'll get my bird prize and my spaceship and he will come back to the forums and revitalize them like he's been saying and not just post about pizza on twitter and record himself playing games.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

actually if lowtax made a firefox and chrome add-on that did nothing but add his referral tag to amazon.com urls and asked us to use it he would probably make poo poo tons of money at no additional expense to anyone but amazon
the combined userbase of moneyed adult users here surely spend upwards of a $50000 a month on amazon

i just came up with how you can make lots of free money entirely passively lowtax. all you have to do is say "ok somebody make this for me"

the mod of the coupons and deals forum does it and he probably makes mad bank

if you try it yourself tho he'll ban you lol

edit: gently caress, beaten

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Wow., these facts really are useless

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Trunko posted:

Wow., these facts really are useless

I wish FAU would at least try to be funny when he's thread making GBS threads

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
im not sure if i wanna give lowtax money if hes just gonna spend it at mcdonalds tbh

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i like the forums a lot but that yt channel isn't very good.

it's interesting in that it's weird and bad but the badness isn't enough of a hook IMO. people play bad strange games on YT a lot and they have generally better presentation and quality. That's basically half of Polygon's youtube channel does and the difference is astounding.

Put in more effort basically. Be creative and don't rely on 'lol look at how poo poo this is' for the entirety of your content. Games are meant to be fun and enjoyable.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

lohli posted:

Sell tshirts that say "I Survived Shmorky"

ughhhhh

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

well why not posted:

i like the forums a lot but that yt channel isn't very good.

it's interesting in that it's weird and bad but the badness isn't enough of a hook IMO. people play bad strange games on YT a lot and they have generally better presentation and quality. That's basically half of Polygon's youtube channel does and the difference is astounding.

Put in more effort basically. Be creative and don't rely on 'lol look at how poo poo this is' for the entirety of your content. Games are meant to be fun and enjoyable.

"put more effort in" is the advice lowtax has been ignoring for the last 15 years and yet he's the one driving a fancy sports car, not you.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

He's a funny dude but the Gaming Garbage stuff on Youtube is just so forced and contrived most of the time. I wish he'd just do funny gaming instead of making fun of bad games. I'd support a patreon for that.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
lowtax makes a semi comfortable living apparently by not doing much other than paying the bandwidth bills and getting stoned and posting on twitter

all he has to do is give some chumps a little bit of authority and they run his business for free

feels good man

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Trunko posted:

"put more effort in" is the advice lowtax has been ignoring for the last 15 years and yet he's the one driving a fancy sports car, not you.

u don't know me

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

the igooninati is behind xenforo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1jZi7OmRsA

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Obsurveyor posted:

He's a funny dude but the Gaming Garbage stuff on Youtube is just so forced and contrived most of the time. I wish he'd just do funny gaming instead of making fun of bad games. I'd support a patreon for that.

yah this is what I'm getting at. stop punching down at bad stuff made by weirdos, start being more interesting and putting in time making good jokes.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I can't wait for Lowtax to start a pranking channel five years from now.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Hello, goons, it's your boy lowtax here, and today I'm going to review some of my favourite fidget spinners. Let's get to it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'M GONNA react TO THESE videos

• Locked thread