Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Howard's work definitely veers deep into orientalism and is full of noble savage stuff. Although that one story with the man-eaters is fairly explicitly racist. Conan at one point gets attacked in the dark by a huge hideous monster and when he puts the light on it turns out its just a black guy.

It is interesting how pop-fiction ages. I loved Clive Cussler as a kid but rereading some of those books can be super awkward now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he had racist beliefs of 1930s texas and was racist in general. but he was never as bad as say lovecraft. howard was more into orientalist and primitivism which influenced his book.

pretty much. most of the conan stuff outside that one are fine if very puply. i have never read cussler, is it post 9/11 clancy bad? or worse.

Cussler fortunately never goes that far and reads more ignorant than malicious. A lot of poo poo like calling far east asians "orientals" and such. His protagonist is very much "despite all these feminisms I'll still open doors for women and rescue them."

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Are there any modern writers that are working in a similar genre space but without the baggage of 20s racism?

There's something compelling about the simplicity of the stories compared to contemporary fantasy that ends up bogged down in world building and overly detailed magic systems.

• Locked thread