Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I didn't know this thread was here. I read all of REHs Conan stories about 2 years ago, and for some reason I'm going through the whole collection again (on audiobook this time) now. I'm completely insane I guess.

Schwarzwald posted:

If your going to follow Howard, they have an easy framing device in a discontent King Conan reminiscing on the adventures of his younger self. Contrast young Conan's wild living and bloodlust with old Conan's misery at having realized his ambitions and been domesticated by his success.

Yeah that would be great, I doubt we'll get it though. I expect some story will be used as base to start (a thief one, Tower of the Elephant or something), then they'll tack on some reoccurring characters by pulling from other stories like Queen of the Black Coast or People of the Black Circle. Everything building to King Conan wearing the jeweled crown of Aquilonia upon a troubled brow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The Picts are in some Kull stories as well. I think to Howard the Picts in Kull, Conan and Bran Mak Morn are all the same "race," rising up from barbarism sometimes but always descending back into it.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Bran Mak Morn was a Pict character created by Howard. I've only read "Worms of the Earth" but I think there's a ton more stories. The Picts as they appear in Conan stuff like "Beyond the Black River" are intended more or less as equivalent to their real-life counterparts as far as I can tell.

They kinda were, and this might be beyond the scope of your post but I'm going to talk about it anyway because I think it's interesting: In that particular story the Picts represent Native Americans, and the Aquilonians are white settlers. Conan is like the Picts in that he's also a barbarian, but as an Aquilonian ally he serves an "Indian Guide" archetype in the story. I think Howard really just wanted to write historical stories set in Texas, but could sell Conan stories more easily. He more or less shows in a letter to HPL how the setting in Beyond the Black River is in Texas:

REH posted:

A student of early Texas history is struck by the fact that some of the most savage battles with the Indians were fought in the territory between the Brazos and Trinity rivers. A look at the country makes one realize why this was so. After leaving the thickly timbered litoral [sic] of East Texas, the westward sweeping pioneers drove the red men across the treeless rolling expanse now called the Fort Worth prairie, with comparative ease. But beyond the Trinity a new kind of country was encountered — bare, rugged hills, thickly timbered valleys, rocky soil that yielded scanty harvest, and was scantily watered. Here the Indians turned ferociously at bay and among those wild bare hills many a desperate war was fought out to a red finish. It took nearly forty years to win that country, and late into the (18)70’s it was the scene of swift and bloody raids and forays — leaving their reservations above Red River, and riding like fiends the Comanches would strike the cross-timber hills within twenty-four hours... Some times they won, and outracing the avengers, splashed across Red River and gained their tipis, where the fires blazed, the drums boomed and the painted, feathered warriors leaped in grotesque dances celebrating their gains in horses and scalps...

The Brazos=Black River and the Trinity=Thunder River.

Stolen from this essay: http://www.bewilderingstories.com/issue181/re_howard2.html

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

MrMojok posted:

I love Beyond the Black River best of all his Conan stories. There are a couple of others I rank close, but it's #1.

I love the real historical inspiration REH describes in that letter above, and how this story probably more than any other best embodies his thesis about barbarism always triumphing. Also the fact that it ends kind of on a downer, which I imagine was somewhat unusual for a hero-serial at the time?

I love the ending. Conan literally pours one out for a dead hero-dog.

• Locked thread