Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MrMojok posted:

I've finished all the Howard stories, and it was time well spent. I know they vary wildly in quality and there is a lot of repetition, and I know Conan isn't a real great character in story terms, because he really has no flaws, but man, I loved it.

The thing to keep in mind when reading Howard stories is, unlike Tolkien, who was crafting a story to encompass his love of language and history, Howard was writing for a paycheck. It's how he tried to make a living. So sometimes he would take a Kull, or a Brak Mon Morn story, and rework it into a Conan story if he could sell it. If some stories seemed repetitious, it's because those are what sold, so that's what he wrote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Marvel announced they got the Conan comic license.

Also, has anyone seen "The Whole Wide World", the film about Robert E Howard, with Vincent D'onofrio and Renee Zellweger?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

hatelull posted:

Why does it look like his right hand has been chopped off in the snake picture?

His hands are clenched into fists?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Lovecraft actually gave Howard his blessing to use his Elder Gods in his stories.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

scene: there's a guy in the background humping the poo poo out of a goat

query: I still don't know why it was included

answer: Milius you crazy bastard.

• Locked thread