Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Drunkboxer posted:

I love the ending. Conan literally pours one out for a dead hero-dog.

And vows to kill a number of savages as an homage. Pretty loving metal.

I recently re-read many of the Conan stories after many years and was shocked at how racist they are. Like others have said, it's not a malicious racism, just very casual. Also agreeing with others that Howard had a prose style that still really resonates with me. It's a joy to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
So a pretty funny anecdote about a scene from the 1982 film. When my wife and I first started dating we ended up watching the movie because I had said it was one of my favorites and she hadn't seen it. I'd seen the film probably 50 times and on her first viewing, I was up getting a drink or something and she calls out "oh my god that dude is humping a goat!" and I stroll in laughing because I think she's just messing with me. But we rewind it and sure enough, there's a guy in the background humping the poo poo out of a goat and she noticed it right away. It's been the subject of many follow up jokes over the years.

I still don't know why it was included (or how I missed it in all my previous viewings) but it somehow made me love the film even more. Maybe it's a nod to the idea of civilization being a corrupter of men? Who knows. Milius you crazy bastard.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I have not seen that but surely that can't be the case. :wow:

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Yeah them spotting the dude goatfucking is why they are laughing and bump into the camel.

• Locked thread