Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I remember Mamoa as being a great Conan, but the movie was 1000% awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I'm making a d100 pen and paper game tonight out of Howard's world, specifically I'll be throwing the characters into something similar to the Tower of the Elephant. That however brings up the idea of magic. How would you guys handle magic in Howard's world? I don't quite remember any wizard throwing a fireball at someone.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

I think there was a wizard/sorcerer who did throw fireballs, but that was achieved by means of alchemy/chemistry, not through sorcery

Was that in The Hour of the Dragon? I still haven't read that story yet :/

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Xotl posted:

There was a Hero System setting book that tackled this idea. The idea was magic is slow to use, and costly to the user. There also often involves summoning something powerful to do what you want, rather than actually channelling pure energy to create the result directly.

So, while in D&D you just have the wizard wave his hands, say a few words, and a few seconds to a minute later something amazing happens, in a more swords & sorcery setting it a guy sacrificing animals / people to a dark power over the course of some day-long ritual that might only work at the right time of the day or month and then some demon appears who will do the thing you want (and may or may not be angry at you afterwards for bothering it).

Yeah, since I didn't want to make magic too involved, I gave the character a magic ring that gave him access to three spells novice level spells from the Lore of Metal in Warhammer Fantasy Role Play 2e, that could only be used as long as the ring was in his posession, and he had to roll more dice in order to account for the Tzeentch's Curse table just because I wanted there to be a backfire effect for trying to tap the rings power. Yara the Sorcerer ended up having spells that were aligned with his description as in The Tower of the Elephant, but thankfully they ended up playing that true to how the story ends and not fighting a guy who could gently caress them over in a heartbeat. Two out of the three adventurers ended up falling off the side of the tower as it was falling apart though and died on impact lol. Thank heavens their falling bodies didn't hit the guy who actually survived climbing down the rope!

• Locked thread