Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Ornamented Death posted:

Usually it's painfully obvious where Howard's words end and the hacks' words begin, but other times you'll have situations where they'll take like an El Borak story (a lesser Howard character) and rewrite it as a Conan story.

Basically, gently caress Lin Carter and L. Sprague de Camp.

I don't have it to hand, but I had a large paperback "complete Conan" compilation thing and it included some of Howard's "unfinished" stories. Someone in their wisdom had decided to tack endings onto them. I swear one of these stories was about 20 pages of slow burn setup and then one page of "...so Conan went up the river, killed everyone, escaped on a dragon and banged the princess - the end". It was seriously jarring to read.

Agreeing with the poster that said Red Nails is creepy as gently caress. There's something about that story that gets under your skin and I always wondered how that animated Red Nails with Ron Pearlman would have turned out.

I've never read them myself, but I've seen some pages from the Conan graphic novels posted in BSS and they look like a good way to get into the stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

MrMojok posted:

So how is the Jason Momoa Conan? I never did see that and now I'm interested.

It's already been said, but echoing the sentiment that Mamoa was a better Conan than the movie deserved. He really did come across as a force of nature from a different world and nailed the balance between built like a brick poo poo house with the coiled, athletisism of a panther. You got the feeling he was fast as well as strong, but also had the flexibility to be a believable thief. On top of that, the charisma and cunning he really made him an amazing Conan.

Film itself is standard swords and scorcery, but to be fair you were never going to capture the unique vibe that made the 82 movie. Even Conan the Destroyer fails to capture the feel of the 82 version. In fact, I'd put the modern Conan film on the same teir as Destroyer.

I could never put my finger on what the vibe of the 82 film was, then someone on the forums nailed it. 1982 Conan is a Spaghetti Western in a fantasy setting.

• Locked thread