Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I like the story where Conan hits a wizard/monster with a sword and saves a naked lady.

For real though, I really enjoy the original Conan stories for their simplicity. It's nice to read well written short stories instead of thousands of pages of some hack trying to do Epic Fantasy Series #145. Like Dick said a few posts up, not everything needs to have 100 pages of backstory and a wiki article detailing its power level in comparison to everything else. When you do that you tend to lose the feeling of, well, fantasy.

I rarely buy books because I read fast and our local libraries have good collections to match my dumb tastes, but I picked up The Complete Chronicles of Conan(the big collection of the original stories with black and gold covers) ten years back and haven't regretted it for a second. Not really sure if I can pick a favourite story, but I'll always love the beginning of Queen of the Black Coast:

quote:

'Well, last night in a tavern, a captain in the king's guard offered violence to the sweetheart of a young soldier, who naturally ran him through. But it seems there is some cursed law against killing guardsmen, and the boy and his girl fled away. It was bruited about that I was seen with them, and so today I was haled into court, and a judge asked me where the lad had gone. I replied that since he was a friend of mine, I could not betray him. The the court waxed wrath, and the judge talked a great deal about my duty to the state, and society, and other things I did not understand, and bade me tell where my friend had flown. By this time I was become wrathful myself, for I had explained my position.

'But I choked my ire and held my peace, and the judge squalled that I had shown contempt for the court, and that I should be hurled into a dungeon to rot until I betrayed my friend. So then, seeing they were all mad, I drew my sword and cleft the judge's skull; then I cut my way out of the court, and seeing the high constable's stallion tied near by, I rode for the wharfs, where I thought to find a ship bound for foreign parts'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

MrMojok posted:

So how is the Jason Momoa Conan? I never did see that and now I'm interested.

The movie itself is extremely bland and forgettable, but I did enjoy Momoa's performance more than Schwarzenegger's. If you saw him in GoT, he plays it very similar to that which in my opinion works. Basically he comes across as a better fighter and as someone who enjoys fighting, rather than Arnie's stonefaced performance.

I got nothing but love for 80s Schwarzenegger movies, but Conan works better with a livelier actor imho.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Covok posted:

What's the best omnibus of Conan works? Realized I gave my old collection away to one of my nieces.

This one has all the original REH stories(including unfinished ones) with no additions from other authors. Comes with a few illustrations, though nothing at the level of Frazetta.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
The illustrations in the centenary edition are by Les Edwards. Not a big fan of them in general, but the one used for Tower of the Elephant is great.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Somehow I've never managed to get into Kull and Solomon Kane. Weird that, considering how much I love Howard's Conan stories.

One of these days I'll totally read them, right after working through my giant queue that is constantly being added to.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I wonder how they're planning to turn a bunch of short stories into a coherent series. A few of the longer ones could be stretched to a full season each I guess, but there's very little connecting them.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

A human heart posted:

i wonder how these episodic short stories could ever be adapted into a series for television, a format known for its episodic structure. that's a tricky one

:jerkbag:

TV shows have gotten a lot less episodic over the past two decades. As interesting as it might be to see, I very much doubt they're going for a slice of the GoT pie with a "Conan vs evil wizard/giant animal of the week" format.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm too old to know how to copypaste a link on my phone but the Gollancz collection I linked to on page 1 of this thread still seems to be available. It's got all the original stories by REH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

biracial bear for uncut posted:

it turned out some cameraman was beating off in the background during one of the shots.

lmao

Also where in the movie is the goatfucking?

• Locked thread