Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Kinda off topic, but Howard's fight-king sailor & the hillbilly mountain man stories drag you in by the sheer absurdity of the action & never break character tone.
The fight-king sailor just fights and fights and watches out for his pet dog. The hillbilly mountain man stories, welp, think redneck conan wrecking people who done him/his family wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Zoro posted:

I know this is John Carter, not Conan, but I feel they would be a lot of overlap in readers between those series. I bought one of his collections today and -- whoo boy -- is this book old school racist. "Reds", "savages", "fiendish tortuous ways", etc. and the hero is a fictional Confederate solider who was "rightly worshiped" by Edgar Rice Bourgh's slaves in the introduction. And I'm not even done with chapter one. Just a warning to anyone considering picking up this series: this guy don't like nor respect non-whites.

Burroughs grew up a long time ago, and yes his stuff is dated beyond belief, however when first published it was genre breaking and a clean break from Victorian era stories.
Just remember that for Burroughs, electric lighting was only perfected when he was a kid, and telephones only became a big thing in his twenties.
Radio & home refrigation were INTERNET style-world changing wonders for him.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Marvel announced they got reclaimed the Conan comic license.

Marvel had at least 3 different Conan series running at the same time during the 1970s-80s.
Illustrated versions of the Howard & DeCamp stories, Young Conan, and their own Marvel Conan stories.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

hatelull posted:

Was Savage Sword of Conan the Howard & DeCamp stories? I liked those much better than the Marvel run (which I think eventually put Conan on his promised throne and then he got boring).

Can't recall.
I remember the Howard & DeCamp stories usually being printed in a larger Black&White format, the Young Conan stories having Conan as a teenage Adventurer hanging out with his male & female buddies at generic AdventuringVillage with a generic artstyle for everything notEvil(including Young Conan). Don't remember anything about the Marvel run except for a WhatIf about "What If Conan was transported to modern (1980s) times?".

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

bloom posted:

I wonder how they're planning to turn a bunch of short stories into a coherent series. A few of the longer ones could be stretched to a full season each I guess, but there's very little connecting them.

Use the story where Conan reclaims his kingdom from the unDead-unAlive sorceror, it has the fullscale of conan's career path, and could easily be chunked into a season or two.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 15, 2018

• Locked thread