Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
"The Slithering Shadow" is probably my favorite because in it you have an incredibly industrious and technologically advanced society which is so committed to distraction that it tolerates a sure and creeping death in the form of an evil god. Conan shows up and is like "that's loving stupid, deal with the problem" and beats the gently caress out of the god. Plus it has a closing line of dialog that belongs at the end of a CHIPS episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I think the original form of the stories as written by Howard weren't actually released until the Del Rey editions like 15 years ago so it might be that only the altered editions are public domain. I don't know if Howard has an equivalent to Donovan K. Loucks for H.P. Lovecraft in having an online resource that has basically the most accurate versions of the stories all in one place.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
While nothing tops the Frazetta artwork, I also really like Becky Cloonan's art from the Conan comics.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Read stuff like "Children of the Night" or "Pigeons from Hell" and you'll get a sense of it. He was definitely racist. I don't remember it coming up in his Conan stories but it definitely comes up in others.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I just read "The Scarlet Citadel" from the Del Rey collection, and it owns. Fantasy usually doesn't appeal to me at all, but Howard's writing is usually so damned good even if his prejudices break through the writing occasionally. I've been reading the stories in order from the Del Rey collection and have enjoyed them all so far. I read "The Tower of the Elephant" a few years ago, and that's still probably my favorite. But I love how Howard used Conan as an excuse to do quasi-historical fiction by changing Conan's environment from one story to the next, but having it all work in a coherent and consistent world. You can really see how stuff like Game of Thrones or Samurai Jack just took that concept wholesale from Howard.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 2, 2017

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I just finished the Del Rey editions and man all but one or two of the stories were great. I think my favorites are "The Phoenix on the Sword," "The Tower of the Elephant," "The Scarlet Citadel," "The Hour of the Dragon," and "Beyond the Black River." Generally stories that have little to no "love interest" as far as that term applies to Conan's world and some degree of Conan wrecking a sorcerer's poo poo.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
You're in for a treat. I read all the original Conan stories last year, and "Vale of Lost Women" is the only one I would discourage people from reading. The rest are great.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

MrMojok posted:

Amazon is developing a Conan series

Who knows how it will actually turn out, but it sounds like they are pretty serious about making it as much like the Howard stories as possible!

Please please please have a good budget and be faithful to the source material, and I will want for nothing.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Ornamented Death posted:

There's a very loose internal chronology to the stories, largely based on Conan's apparent age during any given one. But to be honest, that's mostly irrelevant. The trap the producers of this series need to avoid is having some overarching plot. The episodes need to be a series of one-offs (or short multi-episode series) that just present an adaptation of one of the stories. Once that's finished, move on to the next.

This, please. They could easily get two episodes per story on average, and several would take far longer if they want plenty of breathing room. There's enough raw material in straight up adaptations of the stories for three seasons, easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

hatelull posted:

Context: Those images make me want to dig up my old SSOC issues. Did Howard used the Picts a lot in his books, or was that pretty much a thing from the latter material?

Bran Mak Morn was a Pict character created by Howard. I've only read "Worms of the Earth" but I think there's a ton more stories. The Picts as they appear in Conan stuff like "Beyond the Black River" are intended more or less as equivalent to their real-life counterparts as far as I can tell.

• Locked thread