Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Reminds me that I need to read the old Marvel comics for Conan and the other Howard characters who got comics from them

I would recommend the Savage Sword of Conan titles first. These were black and white magazine format and had superior artwork in my opinion to the regular monthly Marvel line. A lot of the stories were lifted straight from Howard ("The Tower of the Elephant" was in November '77) and aside from Conan there were often cool poems, quick and dirty shorts, and occasionally Kull or Solomon Kane would get a feature. Also, I think because SSOC was a magazine format and didn't have to conform to the Comics Code meaning you get way more violence and nudity for that time.

I have a lot of happy memories sitting at my grandmother's house drinking Dr. Pepper and binging on SSOC for days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Marvel had at least 3 different Conan series running at the same time during the 1970s-80s.
Illustrated versions of the Howard & DeCamp stories, Young Conan, and their own Marvel Conan stories.

Was Savage Sword of Conan the Howard & DeCamp stories? I liked those much better than the Marvel run (which I think eventually put Conan on his promised throne and then he got boring).

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Why does it look like his right hand has been chopped off in the snake picture?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Davros1 posted:

His hands are clenched into fists?

OOOOH!! I see now, it was a weird perspective thing for me for whatever reason because the arm is extending backwards toward the viewer.

Context: Those images make me want to dig up my old SSOC issues. Did Howard used the Picts a lot in his books, or was that pretty much a thing from the latter material?

• Locked thread