Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Where is the best place to get started on Conan the Barbarian?

Start here. This series published the stories in publication order and, more importantly, they published the original text. A lot of the cheapo paperbacks you'll find in used bookstores will have stories that either Lin Carter or L. Sprague de Camp (or both) hosed with somehow. Usually it's painfully obvious where Howard's words end and the hacks' words begin, but other times you'll have situations where they'll take like an El Borak story (a lesser Howard character) and rewrite it as a Conan story.

Basically, gently caress Lin Carter and L. Sprague de Camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Dog_Meat posted:

I don't have it to hand, but I had a large paperback "complete Conan" compilation thing and it included some of Howard's "unfinished" stories. Someone in their wisdom had decided to tack endings onto them. I swear one of these stories was about 20 pages of slow burn setup and then one page of "...so Conan went up the river, killed everyone, escaped on a dragon and banged the princess - the end". It was seriously jarring to read.

75% chance that was de Camp. Carter was a competent writer to some extent, even if he didn't really get what made Howard's stories so good; de Camp was just a hack.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The important thing about Conan is to read it in a book with a Frank Frazetta cover.

The old Ace paperbacks that include de Camp and Carter's...additions...have Frazetta covers, so while well-meaning, your post is somewhat inaccurate.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

MrMojok posted:

If I wanted to read some non-Howard Conan stories, where should I start? Are any of them any good at all?

I understand L. S. DeCamp is thought of as a hack, and he mainly just edited/added to unfinished Howard stories. I think the Wheel of Time author wrote some original short stories or novels, has anyone read those?

Read the Kane novels/short stories by Karl Edward Wagner.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

MrMojok posted:

Next up, Karl Edward Wagner Conan stories!

Make sure to move on to his Kane stories.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Jackard posted:

I picked up a bunch of the decamps when I was younger and never realized they were apparently a watered-down version? :(

Also liked the maps and chronological intros

I wouldn't say watered-down, but de Camp was notorious for taking unfinished Howard manuscripts (or finished ones, or finished/unfinished non-Conan work) and "finishing" the stories, and it is always immediately and abundantly obvious what parts are original to Howard and what de Camp added. Lin Carter is also guilty of this.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

There's a very loose internal chronology to the stories, largely based on Conan's apparent age during any given one. But to be honest, that's mostly irrelevant. The trap the producers of this series need to avoid is having some overarching plot. The episodes need to be a series of one-offs (or short multi-episode series) that just present an adaptation of one of the stories. Once that's finished, move on to the next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ackwastaken posted:

Hey, I have the Del Rey collections of Howard's Conan stories. Any thoughts on the quality of these?

They're the original text and the way to go.

• Locked thread