Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Are 'Outrage' and 'Beyond Outrage' considered classic?

Outrage is great, but I don't know if I consider it a classic. Basically, Kitano came up with all these cool ways for Yakuza to die, and then he scripted a film around that. It's inventive, it's entertaining. The plot can be summed up as let's stab everybody in the back and watch the body count rise up. It is a successful film, in that it's not attempting to be high drama. It's no Sonatine though.

Mantis42 posted:

Wow, its a coincidence you made this thread because I just picked up the Criterion of Tokyo Drifter and watched it today. Honestly, outside of how good the film looks at times, its kinda of a mess. The plot doesn't really matter, I guess, but the film still spends a lot of time on it anyways. The editing is annoying and reading that Seijun Suzuki was fired for making incomprehensible films seems appropriate. On the other hand, the climax and opening are fantastic, as is the scene early on where the girl is killed.

Still think I'd prefer basically any Sonny Chiba flick over it, however.

Suzuki is odd. I've watched both Tokyo Drifter and Branded to Kill, and I have to say, there's like 45 minutes in the beginning where the plot is utterly incomprehensible, and things are just sort of happening. And then suddenly, it clicks together and starts making perfect sense to me. Like, the ending to Branded to Kill is just perfect. I think what's tough is that I'm dealing with two layers of cultural disconnect. Japanese films, at least I find in general, are not afraid to sort of just jump the timeline without much notice or warning. So, one scene will end, and then the next scene will be a significant amount of time later, and you just sort of have to figure out what exactly is going on. It's tough. When I haven't watched a Japanese film in a while, I notice it more. As I get more used to that plot style, it doesn't jar me as much (although, Kurosawa doesn't ever really do that). Then you add in Suzuki's style, and you're just trying to figure out what exactly is going on and why is it suddenly night and wait, it's like 3 months later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread