Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Citizen Tayne posted:

Which taco bar

I think it was called Tako

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I've only ever drank at Tako, been meaning to try their food for a while. I recently tried Condado for the first time a few weeks ago and I liked it well enough.

Downtown isn't where the party's at, though.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Infidel Castro posted:

Yeah, I got nothing against the actual city of Pittsburgh. Phipps Conservatory is cool as hell and there's a really good meh brewpub inside an old church. I just don't like their sports teams.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Tako is great, but their beer selection is lacking. Aside from tacos, they're more known for their mixed drinks which are mostly tequila-based.

Fifty Three posted:

I've only ever drank at Tako, been meaning to try their food for a while. I recently tried Condado for the first time a few weeks ago and I liked it well enough.

Downtown isn't where the party's at, though.

Condado is pretty good after they got through the first month or so, and its really cheap compared to Tako.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Ah, they're okay I guess. It's more a meet market than anything else. I prefer Bakersfield further up Penn for tacos.

Apr 7, 2003

geeves posted:

Tako is great, but their beer selection is lacking. Aside from tacos, they're more known for their mixed drinks which are mostly tequila-based.

Condado is pretty good after they got through the first month or so, and its really cheap compared to Tako.

Candado's tacos are quantity over quality and their refried beans are sweet. Pretty gross.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

geeves posted:

<hatin' on Church Brew Works>
Aw, I like that place. Hofbrauhaus and Penn Brewery are where it's at though. The former if you're fun and like singing and standing on benches.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Everything in Pittsburgh was really cheap too which was great. I wouldn't mind visiting again for sure. I was there in November, and only for a night, but it seems like it'd be a fun place to visit in the summer. I want to see a game at PNC park since baseball stadiums on the water usually rule.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Fifty Three posted:

Aw, I like that place. Hofbrauhaus and Penn Brewery are where it's at though. The former if you're fun and like singing and standing on benches.

It's not so much their beer. I love their Tripple. Their food seems to have gone down hill over the last few years, IMHO. But they still have a solid pierogi pizza.

Citizen Tayne posted:

Candado's tacos are quantity over quality and their refried beans are sweet. Pretty gross.

I can't remember what I had exactly. Definitely not their refried beans, but I thought it was decent. But maybe it was comfort food because it was after the game 6 loss to the Caps... and I was with a Caps fan.

Apr 7, 2003

Fifty Three posted:

Max's Allegheny Tavern for German food, my man.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Citizen Tayne posted:

Max's Allegheny Tavern for German food, my man.
Ah, sorry, I've been focusing entirely on the beer and drinking experience in this conversation. :sweatdrop:

Appreciate the recommendation, I'll have to check it out.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Taco and beer chat is for after your dumb team loses

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Grist House, Draai Laag, East End, and Maggie's Farm Rum are where it's at.

Pittsburgh has an overwhelming number of craft breweries, and I'm pretty sure it has the most bars per captia in the country (there was an article about it).

Plus a bunch of bike trails, though that's a pretty divisive topic because a lot of people are idiots.

Apr 7, 2003

Benson Cunningham posted:

Grist House, Draai Laag, East End, and Maggie's Farm Rum are where it's at.

Pittsburgh has an overwhelming number of craft breweries, and I'm pretty sure it has the most bars per captia in the country (there was an article about it).

Plus a bunch of bike trails, though that's a pretty divisive topic because a lot of people are idiots.

I just started cycling this year and the trails are a blessing, because they keep you from getting run over by the insane drivers.

I don't bother with the places you listed above or Butler St because I'm an old fart.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I went and saw a Preds game in Pittsburgh a few years ago and went to Butcher and the Rye downtown, which was pretty hip/bougie. Also we saw Perron, Lapierre, and Despres there.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I hope that the Pittsburgh Penguins are able to win 4 games in this series before the Nashville Predators do, I'll hang up and listen

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Aphrodite posted:

And now ironically the team most associated with brown and yellow are the Penguins.

why are you still so mad lol

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Everything in Pittsburgh was really cheap too which was great. I wouldn't mind visiting again for sure. I was there in November, and only for a night, but it seems like it'd be a fun place to visit in the summer. I want to see a game at PNC park since baseball stadiums on the water usually rule.

I went to a game there in April of 2014 and it was a beautiful park. First pitch was also pushed back 90 minutes for rain so I was competely tanked before the game even started and it ruled.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

One of the great things about living here is that if you make over 100k, you can live like a lordling

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

geeves posted:

It's not so much their beer. I love their Tripple. Their food seems to have gone down hill over the last few years, IMHO. But they still have a solid pierogi pizza.

Their beer certainly is more memorable, although my dad says they make a really good tiramisu. All I know is the Brett Cherry Quad I had there was loving fantastic.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Pittsburgh and Nashville are both cool and underrated cities

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Thufir posted:

I went and saw a Preds game in Pittsburgh a few years ago and went to Butcher and the Rye downtown, which was pretty hip/bougie. Also we saw Perron, Lapierre, and Despres there.

Butcher in the Rye always smells like cabbage. So does Carmella's in the South Side.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

The Little Kielbasa posted:

I really hope Letang makes a full recovery. This has been exhausting, and I'd really like next year's threepeat run to go more smoothly.

These are my thoughts exactly, go Pens

Re: people who don't live somewhere but still feel the need to voice inaccurate, facile opinions aka food chat. Anyone who genuinely likes Church Brew Works is not only objectively wrong (their food is pedestrian) but also out of touch:

quote:

The Church Brew Works is Making Us Sick!

Just weeks after the Pittsburgh City Council passed a new ordinance calling for paid sick days for all workers in Pittsburgh, a group of business interest including the Church Brew Works, Rita’s Italian Ice, Storms Restaurant, Dirt Doctors Cleaning, Modern Café and the Pennsylvania Restaurant and Lodging Association, filed a lawsuit against the city asserting that new law violated the city’s charter.

The filing, which asks a judge to declare the ordinance “null and void” argues that Pittsburgh’s Home Rule Charter prohibits the city from establishing “duties, responsibilities or other requirements place upon businesses, occupations and employers.”

The City of Pittsburgh has vowed to fight the legal challenge and the coalition that backed the law, spearheaded by Pittsburgh United, is mobilizing to shine the spotlight on the restaurants behind the lawsuit. On October 30th, Fight Back Pittsburgh activists used a giant spotlight to project the message, “Church Brew Works Makes Us Sick,” on the side of the Church Brew Works.
http://fightbackpittsburgh.org/labor-struggles-from-the-steel-city-and-beyond-november/

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Benson Cunningham posted:

accurate

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
Apparently we have a ton of great places to eat in Pittsburgh, unfortunately my wife has Celiacs so we don't get out to most of them. Having said that, There's a place in the strip district called Gaucho that makes some unbelievably good food, and it is pretty reasonably priced; if your in Pittsburgh and have the chance, I'd suggest eating there. At least for lunch anyway, no idea what they do for dinner.

Also I'm a homer, so I think the pens are going to repeat, but Rinne is absolutely terrifying. Well that and PK skate stomping a few more penguins during the series.

E: it dawns on me, I'm probably eating jalapeño cheez-its for dinner, so my food recommendations may be suspect.

Oswald Kesselpot fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 27, 2017

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Hip Now and Wow! posted:

Also I'm a homer, so I think the pens are going to repeat, but Rinne is absolutely terrifying. Well that and PK skate stomping a few more penguins during the series.

Well PK can easily mean Penguins Killer. Hopefully in goals, not in bodies, unless one of those bodies is Fleury and prevents him from being bought out.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Hip Now and Wow! posted:

Apparently we have a ton of great places to eat in Pittsburgh, unfortunately my wife has Celiacs so we don't get out to most of them. Having said that, There's a place in the strip district called Gaucho that makes some unbelievably good food, and it is pretty reasonably priced; if your in Pittsburgh and have the chance, I'd suggest eating there. At least for lunch anyway, no idea what they do for dinner.

E: it dawns on me, I'm probably eating jalapeño cheez-its for dinner, so my food recommendations may be suspect.

Same menu. You can get a huge ribeye for lunch or dinner! I don't have celiac's but too much yeasty carbs are bad for me. So I can sympathize a bit.

I would also recommend* Greet Forrest Churrascaria or if you need to be downtown, Texas de Brazil for their Brazilian meat heavy menu.

Meat and Potatoes, Pork n Beans, BRGR, Burgatory are really solid.

Good lunch places that have meat & potential gluten free options are Salem's, Dijlah (mid-eastern / mediterranean). I prefer Dijlah most of the time, their Iraqi Kabob and Lamb Teka are excellent.

*I have not been to Green Forrest, yet, but have heard it's better than Texas de Brazil and the latter is pretty drat good for $45 all you can eat meat.

Apr 7, 2003

Green Forest is far and away superior to Texas de Brazil

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Good for Pittsburgh is basically garbage off the street for my golden palate.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Hi I live in Pittsburgh, great city if you haven't heard. k seeya

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
25 years ago tonight, game 1 of the '92 SCF, the Pens mounted a tremendous comeback against Chicago. From Being down 4-1 about half way through the second period to Super Mario scoring the game winner on a fantastic set play from a face off with 12 or so seconds left in regulation.

Greatest game in penguins history IMO.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Hip Now and Wow! posted:

25 years ago tonight, game 1 of the '92 SCF, the Pens mounted a tremendous comeback against Chicago. From Being down 4-1 about half way through the second period to Super Mario scoring the game winner on a fantastic set play from a face off with 12 or so seconds left in regulation.

Greatest game in penguins history IMO.

That was also the first year the NHL played a game in June. Christ, basically every sport needs to shorten their season by like, a month

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Kilza posted:

Well PK can easily mean Penguins Killer. Hopefully in goals, not in bodies, unless one of those bodies is Fleury and prevents him from being bought out.

If MAF somehow became so injured he couldn't be bought out, I think that means he doesn't have to be protected, so that's cool if he wants to get hurt.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I predict either Predators in 5 or Penguins in 7.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Kilza posted:

PK also stands for Phil Kessel. Mind blown?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

iospace posted:

Not the Avs right now?

:iiapa:

xzzy posted:

Only the best SAS posters have fun making GBS threads on their own team.

last night's game had more intermissions than blackhawks had goals this post season

The Blackhawks have played less minutes (244) than the other teams combined have played periods of playoff hockey (~275)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
One of my favorite places when I was in Pittsburgh was Arsenal Cider.

Nashville chat: Yazoo Brewery rules, as does everything Nashville. Therefore , Nashville deserves the cup this year.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

:iiapa:

The Blackhawks have played less minutes (244) than the other teams combined have played periods of playoff hockey (~275)

No, see you're supposed to make a joke about how the Leafs are garbage.

Just like how if the Habs play a regular season like they played the playoffs this year, they can give the franchise record for worst season by a Habs team a real shake.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Apparently Phil Kessel stabbed two people in Portland. The newspaper would have you believe he was yelling at muslim women, but we know the two guys actually stole his hotdog.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

geeves posted:

Apparently Phil Kessel stabbed two people in Portland. The newspaper would have you believe he was yelling at muslim women, but we know the two guys actually stole his hotdog.

Crap I thought you were kidding but then I saw the picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Mage_Boy posted:

If MAF somehow became so injured he couldn't be bought out, I think that means he doesn't have to be protected, so that's cool if he wants to get hurt.

CBJ don't have to protect David Clarkson and I don't think the Leafs have to protect Nathan Horton, among other teams/players, so I'd assume it's the same.

• Locked thread