Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
That was some shady officiating that cost Nashville the game tonight. There was zero reason for that ref to have blown the whistle before Sissons' goal. Murray never even came close to having possession of the puck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

...! posted:

That was some shady officiating that cost Nashville the game tonight. There was zero reason for that ref to have blown the whistle before Sissons' goal. Murray never even came close to having possession of the puck.

did you watch the entire rest of the game where the refs tried to make that up or what

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

...! posted:

Good thing it only takes one game to win the cup.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Sid and Geno need to replicate this now

What a time to be alive

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Tayne's annoying af, but a ban plus 30 days?

LordWeird
Feb 5, 2009

I play a
strasophereocaster
I'm trying to rile up the thin skinned Pens fans on reddit, any suggestions?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

LordWeird posted:

I'm trying to rile up the thin skinned Pens fans on reddit, any suggestions?

Remind them that at the end of the day they still have to live in Pittsburger

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Barreft posted:

Tayne's annoying af, but a ban plus 30 days?

The forums are dying quick ban the guy who gets everyone posting about sports and has loud but not insane opinions on his sports teams

>the pirates management is garbage
-probed
>the penguins will win/won the Stanley cup
-3 months of probes, two bans

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
The Pens looked like the better team throughout the finals......but that doesn't excuse the fact that game six was botched. As an impartial Wild fan......that whistle taking away a Predator goal was lousy. Too bad....game seven would have been fun.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I too am outraged that a huge troll who spewed 14 trolling posts per page in every SAS hockey thread was banned.

I think "the Pens were the better team throughout the series" is a reach though. They definitely looked way better the last two games (and the shot/attempted shot/zone time stats back it up). Sullivan made adjustments. An NHL coach, making actual adjustments!!!

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Real talk, how do you give Conn Smyth to Crosby again when Matt Murray puts up a 1.70 GAA 0.937 SV% and 3 shutouts

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Because he only played half the playoffs?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the guy who got banned sucked and I hope he never comes back

Malkin should have been MVP

I hope we get a bunch of cool trades today and tomorrow

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

...! posted:

You gotta whistle when you lose sight of the puck. That being said the ref was in a poo poo position

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
What Pittsburgh sports fan isn't used to hordes of losers complaining about refs? Seattle is still crying over a decade later too. Oakland, CA has been bitching for 5x as long. Just add Nashville to the list of broken heart, sore loser ref victim fraternity.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Or maybe the officiating in this entire playoffs has been inconsistent garbage.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

flakeloaf posted:

Or maybe the officiating in this entire playoffs has been inconsistent garbage.

Season. It was the entire season.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

What Pittsburgh sports fan isn't used to hordes of losers complaining about refs? Seattle is still crying over a decade later too. Oakland, CA has been bitching for 5x as long. Just add Nashville to the list of broken heart, sore loser ref victim fraternity.

I am a person who watches hockey once in a blue moon and I don't care who wins and I was really turned off by the officiating.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

So do I, but then I remember Jim Benning is my GM and cool on the idea a bit.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Duke Chin posted:

Season. It was the entire season.

I can't really speak to that part because I couldn't be arsed to watch a lot of it, but if you say it I'll believe it. Still, the playoffs is known as the time when the refs start calling from a different rulebook and even by that standard there was some serious Calvinball poo poo goin on out there. Sports is an entertainment product, it's supposed to be fun to watch and that can't be the case if people don't know what the rules are going to be from one stoppage to the next.

TBeats posted:

I am a person who watches hockey once in a blue moon and I don't care who wins and I was really turned off by the officiating.

Oh hello there

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

my buddy texted me right after it happened and my response was that this is the first of such moments that i think i've seen in real time. ill be visiting the beaches of nashville when im 65 and someone will be bitching about how the refs stole this game

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

the guy who got banned sucked and I hope he never comes back

Malkin should have been MVP

so correct me if im wrong here, but pittsburgh isnt hurting for cash or cap space

fleury had a good season, he got pulled after a single bad game but its not like he completely devolved into the MAF that we like to make fun of. im curious if they trade him for a loving mint of propspects and picks

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Not gonna happen because MAF can and will use his NMC to force the Pens to buy him out, so he can have extra money plus total freedom to pick his next team.

He wouldn't have much trade value anyway, he's an old borderline starter making solid starter money for 2 years. He'll probably get about the same contract as a FA that the Penguins are about to buy him out of, might get a third year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think "the Pens were the better team throughout the series" is a reach though. They definitely looked way better the last two games (and the shot/attempted shot/zone time stats back it up). Sullivan made adjustments. An NHL coach, making actual adjustments!!!

Yeah in a world where Rinne is even half decent in Pittsburgh this could have ended up as a Nashville sweep. Sullivan definitely made adjustments but I wonder if part of it was the Preds just wearing down? Not so much last night but in game 5 they just looked like they were lost on the ice for huge chunks of the game.

Either way that was a good finals, I'd watch it again and am sad hockey is over.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

BiohazrD posted:

so correct me if im wrong here, but pittsburgh isnt hurting for cash or cap space

fleury had a good season, he got pulled after a single bad game but its not like he completely devolved into the MAF that we like to make fun of. im curious if they trade him for a loving mint of propspects and picks

Pittsburgh already has $60M committed to next years cap (which will likely be $73M) with 16 players on the roster. That's less than $2M per per roster spot remaining. If they can get Fleury to waive his NMC and be exposed in the expansion draft (or more likely get cap dump traded to Vegas) they're better positioned. They don't have any one major to sign, but they'll likely lose depth players like Bonino and Schultz over the summer.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

funny Star Wars parody posted:

The forums are dying quick ban the guy who gets everyone posting about sports and has loud but not insane opinions on his sports teams

>the pirates management is garbage
-probed
>the penguins will win/won the Stanley cup
-3 months of probes, two bans

prob. because no one likes the Penguins or their fans or their posters

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm not sure Vegas wants MAF. They may be able to score a good younger goalie in the expansion draft.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

So Bobrovsky, Holtby, and Rinne for the most part looked like complete garbage against the Penguins. A lot of that is due to the Penguins shooters but man what a fortunate run to get some good goaltenders (and Rinne) playing some of the worst hockey of their careers. Not to mention Fleury playing the best hockey of his career against the Capitals.

Maybe one year the Capitals will get an ounce of luck in the playoffs :sigh:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Super glad we extended Murray before this season because he is gonna get paaaaaid in 3 years.
Also Geno was amazing this year. He's still got it. And Kessel, good god. Guentzel, where did he even come from?

I thought this season was done once Letang went down. I look forward to the "me-too" teams trying to replicate this play style.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

TBeats posted:

Me too. Pretty curious that after the botched no-goal call that Nashville was gifted 4 power play do-overs, but somehow for the 1st time in Penguins' playoff history (lol, that's a lot of games) they didn't get a single penalty in their favor. Nashville was robbed tho.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Since that other thread was gassed, I think it is important to point out that the Cup only counts if you go 16-4 or better.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Me too. Pretty curious that after the botched no-goal call that Nashville was gifted 4 power play do-overs, but somehow for the 1st time in Penguins' playoff history (lol, that's a lot of games) they didn't get a single penalty in their favor. Nashville was robbed tho.

I don't know if you're being serious or not or which way you are leaning but I know you watch football and calling five straight penalties on the defense wouldn't make me feel better if the offense got a TD taken away.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mr. Kite posted:

Since that other thread was gassed, I think it is important to point out that the Cup only counts if you go 16-4 or better.

So the KIngs' second cup doesn't count?

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I'm willing to make that sacrifice, yes.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Now that I'm reasonably conscious and at work:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

BiohazrD posted:

I dunno man, I don't really like the Penguins. I think their cap situation is actually pretty tight. They have a few guys who need to be re-signed that might not be the most important players, but they're great depth guys. I know Bonino and Sheary need new contracts for sure, for example.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Fleury. Obviously SOMETHING has to happen, and either him or Murray is gone unless Pittsburgh gives Vegas a boatload of poo poo to not take either one of them. I don't think Fleury would get that big of a haul even in light of this season though. Goalies don't get much in return, and I'd imagine if you get him to waive his NMC he's not going to a team that has great prospects or picks to send back, he's going to want to go where he can still win.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Fleury. Obviously SOMETHING has to happen, and either him or Murray is gone unless Pittsburgh gives Vegas a boatload of poo poo to not take either one of them. I don't think Fleury would get that big of a haul even in light of this season though. Goalies don't get much in return, and I'd imagine if you get him to waive his NMC he's not going to a team that has great prospects or picks to send back, he's going to want to go where he can still win.

Pittsburgh will probably have to give Vegas assets in a trade for Fleury. Something like Fleury and a 2nd for a 5th (if they can get him to waive his NTC at all). Vegas knows that Pittsburgh are in a severe bind with him, so they can select another Pens player knowing they're almost certainly going to be able to get Fleury and assets as well. Who else would even be in on Fleury? Calgary?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

ThinkTank posted:

Pittsburgh will probably have to give Vegas assets in a trade for Fleury. Something like Fleury and a 2nd for a 5th (if they can get him to waive his NTC at all). Vegas knows that Pittsburgh are in a severe bind with him, so they can select another Pens player knowing they're almost certainly going to be able to get Fleury and assets as well. Who else would even be in on Fleury? Calgary?

Dallas. They don't have enough goaltending

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I dunno man, I don't really like the Penguins. I think their cap situation is actually pretty tight. They have a few guys who need to be re-signed that might not be the most important players, but they're great depth guys. I know Bonino and Sheary need new contracts for sure, for example.

Sheary can have Kunitz old money and Bonino can have some of those Daley/Scuderi bucks so that pretty much washes. That said I hope neither of them get anything too crazy in length/term. Bonino was frustrating in the early part of the season but drat him if he didn't turn it on yet again in the playoffs.

Even Kunitz... I mean credit where it'd due, he had a hell of a playoffs after the Ottawa 2-goal game. I wouldn't begrudge him coming back on a low-money, one or two year deal I guess but I'd be happier to see him go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah that's pretty much the way I see it. I actually think, for all the poo poo he gets, Fleury is a perfectly good goalie and Vegas makes a lot of sense as a landing spot.

You're right though. I don't know who else would even be interested. Maybe Buffalo or Arizona?

• Locked thread