Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I always thought it was "were you there the whole match and also doing stuff?" as a measurement, but I never really looked close at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I think it counts constant damage the most. So getting a bunch of one shots is bad for "activity" but an SPAA spamming tracks will get high activity.

I don't think capping points counts at all because I've had naval matches where I ran around in a little PT boat capping points then end the game with 0% activity.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I don't think capping points counts at all because I've had naval matches where I ran around in a little PT boat capping points then end the game with 0% activity.

I learned this the hard way before, but you have to do at least 1 point of damage in order receive any rewards for a match

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey there! So, I've just started playing this game again after a few years' hiatus. Never really got too good with it, but I've previously dabbled in US and Soviet tanks before settling on Italy. (I love the L3 tankette, what can I say! :D ) Anyway, I'm currently sitting around 2.7-3.7, but I'm wondering about where the sweet spots are, for Italian tank line-ups. Are there any guides or general tips I can check out? Opinions would also be great! Since I mean, some of the Italian guns are quite good, however obviously they're fragile as anything and the major powers' armour can be a tough nut to crack, when I'm going up against higher ranks.

So yeah, at the moment I've been using the AB43 a lot (I do enjoy hooning around a building, blasting a tank in the engine, then zooming around while their turret struggles to swivel around) as well as the Celere, M24 Chaffee and the M42 Contraereo. (Man I love the quad cannon. Shooting planes is great in this - I just wish it had a trailer filled with ammo) I also have a plane, but my CAS armament and abilities are nothing to speak of - doesn't seem like I have many decent options at 3.7.

As far as my current thoughts go, I'm thinking I might try and progress to get the Turan III and Breda 501, but I'm not sure about how they'll match up against 5.# vehicles... I'm a sucker to even suggest it at all, but are there any preem tanks (or a plane) that I should also aim for, for when a sale hits? Then try and marry it up with other vehicles of an equivalent tier.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! (Hopefully they'll also add the P43 tank at some point, for the Italians...)

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
I've always liked the Italian 3.7-4.0 BRs where you've got a good range of American, Italian, German, and now Hungarian tanks to play around with. If the 44M Tas or the Hungarian Panther ever get added, there could be an interesting lineup ~5.7.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

Hey there! So, I've just started playing this game again after a few years' hiatus. Never really got too good with it, but I've previously dabbled in US and Soviet tanks before settling on Italy. (I love the L3 tankette, what can I say! :D ) Anyway, I'm currently sitting around 2.7-3.7, but I'm wondering about where the sweet spots are, for Italian tank line-ups. Are there any guides or general tips I can check out? Opinions would also be great! Since I mean, some of the Italian guns are quite good, however obviously they're fragile as anything and the major powers' armour can be a tough nut to crack, when I'm going up against higher ranks.

So yeah, at the moment I've been using the AB43 a lot (I do enjoy hooning around a building, blasting a tank in the engine, then zooming around while their turret struggles to swivel around) as well as the Celere, M24 Chaffee and the M42 Contraereo. (Man I love the quad cannon. Shooting planes is great in this - I just wish it had a trailer filled with ammo) I also have a plane, but my CAS armament and abilities are nothing to speak of - doesn't seem like I have many decent options at 3.7.

As far as my current thoughts go, I'm thinking I might try and progress to get the Turan III and Breda 501, but I'm not sure about how they'll match up against 5.# vehicles... I'm a sucker to even suggest it at all, but are there any preem tanks (or a plane) that I should also aim for, for when a sale hits? Then try and marry it up with other vehicles of an equivalent tier.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! (Hopefully they'll also add the P43 tank at some point, for the Italians...)

You're already through the roughest patch of Italian-ing. Once you're up past 5.0, the lack of armor matters less, since it now effects just about everyone. The last of the Semovente SPG line hangs in there for you, as I'm sure you've found by this point. There are some handy event vehicles, but that would mean braving the wilds of the Gaijin Marketplace, and nothing they have is worth that ordeal.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Ah ok cool, good to hear! Last night I was reacquainting myself with air combat, since I've apparently forgotten absolutely everything about actually playing this game... After becoming a little more familiar with it again and checking out the tech tree, I reckon I might go for an SM. 91, with its many 20mm cannons. (Then after that when I'm ready to move up into 5.0, I'll go for the P47, naturally)

But yeah, sounds good. I think I'll try and focus on slowly shifting my list up the ranks at once, without having too much of a gap between ratings. Looking forward to getting a solid 4.0-4.7 team though - then 5.0 after that. Regarding SPGs though, what's your opinion on the stug 3 vs the Semovente 90/53? Obviously I've always loved the huge AA gun on the Semovente, however only having eight shots isn't too hot. (Not that I'd live long enough to go past that, I suppose :v: ) Shame the Zrinyi isn't available as a regular vehicle, since that seems cool too

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I love that I'm currently in the tier of US vehicles where there are just dudes standing up in the vehicle with no regard for their personal safety as i haul rear end around and get blown up.

I wish I had a "hoot and holler" button.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 16, 2024

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

Ah ok cool, good to hear! Last night I was reacquainting myself with air combat, since I've apparently forgotten absolutely everything about actually playing this game... After becoming a little more familiar with it again and checking out the tech tree, I reckon I might go for an SM. 91, with its many 20mm cannons. (Then after that when I'm ready to move up into 5.0, I'll go for the P47, naturally)

But yeah, sounds good. I think I'll try and focus on slowly shifting my list up the ranks at once, without having too much of a gap between ratings. Looking forward to getting a solid 4.0-4.7 team though - then 5.0 after that. Regarding SPGs though, what's your opinion on the stug 3 vs the Semovente 90/53? Obviously I've always loved the huge AA gun on the Semovente, however only having eight shots isn't too hot. (Not that I'd live long enough to go past that, I suppose :v: ) Shame the Zrinyi isn't available as a regular vehicle, since that seems cool too

While the 90mm is a temptation, certainly, but is only occasionally useful. The StuG is better in the vast majority of matches. And the 75/46 M43 shines.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
New poll on changing damage models and mechanics:

https://warthunder.com/en/news/8851-roadmap-following-the-roadmap-possible-changes-to-ground-vehicle-damage-models-en

quote:

The first way is to introduce a more detailed damage model to specific vehicles. There’ll be new types of modules, ranging from electronic modules for air defense vehicles, machine gun ammunition, electrical equipment, as well as detailing and correcting guidance modules such as the drives. This is labor intensive and painstaking work however, as it cannot be implemented for all ground vehicles in the game at once — each vehicle would require separate manual work. In particular as part of this task, we’re currently separating and detailing the elevation and traverse drives of the M1 and Leopard 2 series tanks with the addition of a hydraulic drive supply tank, where disabling this part will also disable the guidance drive.

The second way is to introduce new logic for damaging crew members and modules, which will reduce the likelihood of the situations we’ve described above, as hits will be effective even in these cases. Here’s how it’ll work. Any hit to a crew member causes a stun effect. When stunned, the camera will shake and sparks will be shown on your screen for a short period of time, about 1-2 seconds. Dealing damage to the gunner (or commander in vehicles with duplicate controls) causes a few seconds of concussion. It also causes the camera to shake, a ringing effect in your ears, and a temporary drift with a variable vector (a change in direction) is added to the gun aiming, which you’ll need to compensate for manually. In this case the initial aiming point when armor is penetrated moves away at the moment of receiving damage (taking into account the favor killer mechanics) to a random distance and direction within approximately 1/4 of the screen.

The third way is additional sources of fire in the fighting compartment, where damage to internal modules in this area may cause them to start an internal fire. Several things can burn and smolder inside a vehicle: crew clothing, wiring, machine gun ammo, plus rubbish and oil on the floor. In this case the fire can go out on its own, unlike an engine or fuel tank fire, and the damage it causes will be less than the damage caused by an engine or fuel fire.

We want to go with the simplest and easiest-to-use implementation for the healing of wounded ground crew members: the automatic healing of the crew. If the crew does not receive any damage within a given time, their health is restored to the minimum level required to remove most of the penalty for the crew to perform their duties. If any damage is received during the healing process, it stops and the countdown to the start of the healing process starts from the beginning.

Yes/no voting on each of those. I think the stun mechanics sound terrible.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
drat uh that sounds... not fun

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The healing mechanic should probably be limited to capture points. Just like ammo reloading, have a bar fill up and heal your crew x% each time, up to whatever yellow health is. Dead crew stays dead and the mechanics are identical to existing gameplay. Simple, easy to understand, and useful but with a small risk of traveling to and sitting on an objective.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

This sounds eerily similar to when WWII Online implemented concussion effects, which then immediately had to be toned down because it was a nightmare.

I'm all for for damage effects, and more capability losses (I think breaking a tread should be effectively permanent, if you're playing sim) but this seems like the sort of thing that will need to be playtested for way longer than their usual patch cycle in order to get right.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Contrary opinion: tanks should be toast after a single penetrating hit unless you're playing arcade, it's just nonsense that tanks are shooting back at you after they've been set on fire and half the crew are dead.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

It's astonishing that 10+ years in, and there's no mechanic for crew buttoning/unbuttoning.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
The more detailed models done unit by unit would be fun but would lead to conspiracy theories about Russian tanks getting/not getting the new model depending on how it affects survivability.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Madurai posted:

It's astonishing that 10+ years in, and there's no mechanic for crew buttoning/unbuttoning.

Yeah, I love that the M36 with a roof is a downgrade to the roofless version, because a) tank shots can now be caught by your roof and helpfully kill everyone in the turret/tank, b) half of the roof is open anyway so it doesn't even block airplane MG.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
It's not that difficult, really. If I pen an enemy, I want him to be stunned so I can shoot him again. If I get penned but my gunner is alive, I want to be able to immediately shoot back.
Snail pls implement

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Stun for thee but not for me.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Major Isoor posted:

Sm92 at 3.7-4.0 is an excellent CAS plane, bomb everyone to death, get in a turn fight, pop your combat flaps and watch everyone scream as a twin engine turns tighter than most props then annihilates them with your many many HMG and 20mm cannons.

Ground 3.7/4.0 is a very very good line-up. The Turan III is possibly the best medium in its tier, stugs are always good, the Sherman is a bad 75mm Sherman but that means it still good. 4.7 is also good but you're entering big cat/IS territory so you're gonna have to get better at aiming.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Saros posted:

Sm92 at 3.7-4.0 is an excellent CAS plane, bomb everyone to death, get in a turn fight, pop your combat flaps and watch everyone scream as a twin engine turns tighter than most props then annihilates them with your many many HMG and 20mm cannons.

Ground 3.7/4.0 is a very very good line-up. The Turan III is possibly the best medium in its tier, stugs are always good, the Sherman is a bad 75mm Sherman but that means it still good. 4.7 is also good but you're entering big cat/IS territory so you're gonna have to get better at aiming.

Isn't the Turan just a Pz 4? Or are you saying Pz 4s are the best mediums in their tier anyway?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

The 75mm M4 Shermans are by far the best mediums of their tier. The Pz IV F2 upward are good but outside of raw firepower the M4 outclasses them in every respect.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

The more detailed models done unit by unit would be fun but would lead to conspiracy theories about Russian tanks getting/not getting the new model depending on how it affects survivability.

As opposed to the current situation where only Russian tanks get new modules to improve survivability?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Great Beer posted:

As opposed to the current situation where only Russian tanks get new modules to improve survivability?

Wait, are you implying some sort of … bias? :monocle:

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

I will admit, seeing 'we're going to add more ways to disable a turret, starting with a particular part on these NATO MBTs' did get my attention.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Tarquinn posted:

Wait, are you implying some sort of … bias? :monocle:

Surely a formerly Russian company which does a significant amount of business in Russia and needs Russian military contacts to get details on the vehicles they use as content for their game that could be legally banned entirely for not presenting Russian equipment in a positive light would have absolutely no incentive to fudge the numbers on certain vehicles. What a ridiculous implication.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The idea that Vladimir Putin would ban War Thunder in Russia if they didn't give the new T-90 a spall liner is... something.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

YF-23 posted:

The idea that Vladimir Putin would ban War Thunder in Russia if they didn't give the new T-90 a spall liner is... something.

You misunderstood. Vladimir Putin will ban War Thunder in Russia if Gaijin doesn't include their new assault golf carts.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

YF-23 posted:

They literally have laws requiring media portray Russia and its stuff in a positive light so, yes. It's not impossible. It's fascism 101 to control your image. Just ask the company of heroes devs.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Punished Ape posted:

New poll on changing damage models and mechanics:

https://warthunder.com/en/news/8851-roadmap-following-the-roadmap-possible-changes-to-ground-vehicle-damage-models-en

Yes/no voting on each of those. I think the stun mechanics sound terrible.

Here's how the poll is going if anybody is wondering

I voted No to healing crew, but only because I think it should only happen on capture points.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
cant wait to spend RP on first aid training and silver lions on vodka coolers

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
People who voted yes on stun mechanics never faced a Mace Spec rogue in World of Warcraft.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Punished Ape posted:

People who voted yes on stun mechanics never faced a Mace Spec rogue in World of Warcraft.

Or they played one.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Great Beer posted:

They literally have laws requiring media portray Russia and its stuff in a positive light so, yes. It's not impossible. It's fascism 101 to control your image. Just ask the company of heroes devs.

Eh, I struggle to see it as much different to the fact that Panthers don't spontaneously burst into flame when you change gear. Internal balance is more important than any individual vehicle's performance.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Ahhh, it feels good getting back into the rhythm of war chunder. Upgraded my SM. 91, got a good 3.7-4.0 lineup forming, and I'm bringing another friend into the game.
Only gripe I have now, is that the SM 91 doesn't carry 250kg pr 500kg bombs, annoyingly. So even though the gun loadout on the SM 92 is inferior, I reckon I'll have to upgrade to it so that I have access to 500kg bombs, for my 4.0 line-up. It's a real shame though... the SM 91 is such a good glass cannon! Even the rear gun is amazing

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Alchenar posted:

Eh, I struggle to see it as much different to the fact that Panthers don't spontaneously burst into flame when you change gear. Internal balance is more important than any individual vehicle's performance.

They heavily nerfed stinger missiles or some other one because the irl performance was deemed impossible to achieve with current russian tech

Then the Abrams fiasco where current gen Abrams are heavier for some unknown reason. Not more armor though, because extra weight would break the suspension.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh by the way, (sorry to distract from the other convo going on here) seeing as aluminium armour gets more common later on, will there be a point where the AB43 will be somewhat competitive again? :D I love that little armoured car - it's so fast and narrow, so it can slot through many a crack. It's completely outclassed at BR4.0, but I can't bring myself to get rid of the thing, as it's a great li'l recon vehicle.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

GrossMurpel posted:

Isn't the Turan just a Pz 4? Or are you saying Pz 4s are the best mediums in their tier anyway?

It's a native Hungarian tank with a pak 40 AT gun derivative that can pen glacis on anything it faces. Its faster, more maneuverable, has full speed reverse and has a superior gun compared to the PZ4. Slightly less armour thickness which is compensated by better angling and people not being familiar with it.

It's a very very very good tank, the only weakness is the cupola sticks up a loooot so peeking over hills can get you killed.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

Oh by the way, (sorry to distract from the other convo going on here) seeing as aluminium armour gets more common later on, will there be a point where the AB43 will be somewhat competitive again? :D I love that little armoured car - it's so fast and narrow, so it can slot through many a crack. It's completely outclassed at BR4.0, but I can't bring myself to get rid of the thing, as it's a great li'l recon vehicle.

It's still usable as a point-getter until the Hellcat shows up, and after that there's never a shortage of sports cars for Italy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Madurai posted:

It's still usable as a point-getter until the Hellcat shows up, and after that there's never a shortage of sports cars for Italy.

I love the R3 poo poo, it steers like a brick shithouse at high speed, but it's so much fun.