Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Weaponographer and Slimeking look like attempts at a kid friendly Binding of Isaac.

Imma say Slimeking since it looks like it has the same crazy item escalation ISaac does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
As promised in about 20 minutes I’m going to be streaming a roguelite game over here. What game? Only the wheel knows.

Probably not a good one.

Ended up playing Botlike and Wasted. The latter is pretty alright. The former needs to be put in a landfil. I'll do this again next week at the same time, see you then.

Party Bug fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 7, 2018

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Ended up getting Wizard of Legend on the switch. I figure by the time I want to try modding and such it'll be on sale on Steam. I've only gotten to the final boss once so far; couldn't beat that second phase.

Monolith looks to be extremely my poo poo. The comparison to Gungeon feels apt, I love it already. Thanks for showing it off, it's on the rainy day wishlist.

Too bad I missed the stream, maybe I can catch the next one in time.

As for the next game: Weaponographist, just so I can see how bad the games humor gets.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

The Little Slime

If you do the crime you must do the slime.

:siren:VOTS:siren:

Lovecraft's Untold Stories
Lovecraft’s Untold Stories is an action RPG with rogue-like elements. Explore, improve your skills and gear, and fight cultists and creatures from the Mythos to stop the Old Ones’ plans in randomly generated levels based on Lovecraft stories.

Ruin of the Reckless
Ruin of the Reckless is a breakneck-paced, melee-focused roguelike brawler with very light persistent progression elements and a punishing difficulty curve. Play with a friend!

Vertical Drop Heroes
Vertical Drop Heroes is a procedural platformer RPG hybrid with roguelike elements, where your hero adventures through randomly generated stages. Armed with a variety of skills and traits, you must use your cunning and reflexes to survive the dangers of each stage.

Votes are counted up on Monday!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Let's go with Lovecraft, it seems to be in vogue lately.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Lovecraft. Obviously.

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 11, 2018

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Ruin of the Reckless actually looks pretty good, as well, but my love for the Lovecraft mythos trumps all.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Getting a real LISA vibe off of the little slime, only with fruit instead of dipshits.

Lovecraft looks like it could suck some serious rear end. Let's do that.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Ruin of The Reckless looks like the best of these.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I agree, Ruin of the Reckless.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Lovecraft.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ruin of the reckless looks like someone collided nuclear throne into hyper light drifter.

I think I remember Vertical Drop Heroes started out as a flashgame on Armorgames, and im not sure if this is the same dev or someone stole it completely but im voting for it regardless.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Ruin of the Reckless looks better, even though Lovecraft's Untold Stories could be good.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The slime game looked terrible.
Ruin of the Reckless looks interesting and more your speed.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ruin of the Reckless looks alright!

I just worry that eventually you'll only be left with terrible joyless slogs to go through. At that point you can probably just wrap the thread, no harm done.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Ruin of the Reckless

Raccoons are bullshit.

:siren: PICK YE VIDEO GAME :siren:

Juicy Realm
Juicy Realm is a roguelike game in which players must square off against bizarre fruits all across the world. The line between the animal and the plant world has become blurred, and the food chain has been completely disrupted.

Illuminascii
Illuminascii - a first person shooter with an ascii text based visual style, featuring randomly generated content and roguelike / rpg elements. Monsters, weapons, armor, levels and cutscenes are all created with random characteristics.

Woodpunk
Woodpunk is an exhiliarating rogue-like experience in a medieval Woodpunk universe, where the primary energy resource is WOOD.

Glazius posted:

I just worry that eventually you'll only be left with terrible joyless slogs to go through. At that point you can probably just wrap the thread, no harm done.
Unfortunately once this thread is over that just means I have to post a new one and start over without any upgrades.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Choices are weird this time around. I was gonna vote Illuminascii on the strength of it being goon-developed (and hope that it progressed from the preview I saw of it which was not great) but then I actually watched the videos for the other games instead of just judging based on the description and now I'm torn. I think Illuminascii has the best trailer but on the chance it hasn't changed much from where it was last I have to vote for Juicy Realm as its art reminds me of Don't Starve for some reason.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
With apologies and disclaimer that I played it a million years ago: Illuminascii is kinda bad.

I'm also super pissed I can't find the Fairway Frank song from Parks and Rec because I feel that'd go well with my above stance on raccoons.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Right, but I was hoping it maybe got better over that million years. I didn't vote for it anyway, I voted for Juicy Realm because that might suck less.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Woodpunk reminds me of Gungeon, and that seems like a good thing. I can't wait to be proven right/wrong/completely off-base.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Woodpunk

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok so Ruin of the Reckless is like Riddle and Phelps eefing to Zelda II music on a pastel palette. Let's do Woodpunk next.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPH1Nam968Q

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 3, 2018

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Woodpunk

Wood not recommend.

:siren: CHOICE :siren:

Steredenn
Steredenn is a frenetic and chaotic space shooter, carved in big beautiful pixels, with insane boss battles. Embark in your ship and engage the fight against dreadful space pirates in a never-ending combat for your survival.

Rogue Islands
Rogue Islands is a fast-paced, first-person shooter with magic & monsters set in a procedural fantasy wilderness. Explore forests, deserts, caves and mountains. Gain in power as you eradicate a demonic horde and inch closer to the Lords of Torment.

Hypergun
Fight through waves of alien interlopers and save the world as Dewey Owens in HYPERGUN, a fast-paced roguelite shooter centering around a procedural weapon of questionable effectiveness. Enter the simulation. Build the HYPERGUN!

An interesting set this time, actually. Who knows when I'll actually get around to the next update, but there are your choices!

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012

I'm going to toss a vote for Rogue Islands. Steredenn seems extremely my jam, but I'm more curious about how well RI pulls off the island hopping feel. Also looks very Minecraftish in graphics and I'm hoping it actually uses the simple look for something.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Considering how hard they were pushing the "wood" theme in the trailer that game wasn't really remotely woody. It looked like any other generic fantasy-ish steampunk thing except they coloured the cogs in brown

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Rogue Islands

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

CountryMatters posted:

Considering how hard they were pushing the "wood" theme in the trailer that game wasn't really remotely woody.
I mean it has crossbows, that's basically the pinnacle of wood based technology.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

AltaBrown posted:

Rogue Islands

Voting this as well! Curious how this plays in practice.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
A lot the time a lot of people, actually only a few people, actually nobody, often ask me 'Hey Party Bug what's the Roguelite of the Year', so I made this video to answer all your questions:

:siren: TOP TEN ROGUELITES OF 2018 :siren:

HAPPY NEW YEAR

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Gonna play every game on this list, very exciting

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

All of those games look great, I especially agree with your #3 spot.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Yup, that list looks about right.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
I can't believe Woodpunk wasn't in the top 10 :colbert:

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
Hey friends it's been about a month and I haven't made any real progress on Rogue Islands (it's bad). So I have decided to quit. Please see my letter of resignation below:

Party Bug posted:

i'm done

- signed me
The roguelite thread is on hiatus for a bit. I still have approximately nine billion games to go and I plan to pick this up again sometime, but I had a sudden revelation that I could just play good video games and that would be cool. Anyway thanks for participating and watching me play all these games! I will be very slowly finishing up the Renowned Explorers LP and you can maybe watch me play a bunch of Castlevania games as well as many terrible things over on my stream.

Now get out of my house!!!

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Rated :five: for finally coming to your senses.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

i'm sorry you ran out of good games

i'm not sorry i'm living in your house now

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Watching you play bad roguelikes is funny, but like, there's a lower limit where a game gets so bad it's just not fun for anyone involved. Doubt anyone would care if you skipped those.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

AltaBrown posted:

Rated :five: for finally coming to your senses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
This is like my favourite LP thread and I hope you do more video LPs in future, hopefully of games you don't hate!